TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #1
jmpage2

Getting proper lip sync with Roamio

Hey all, have a question about lip sync with my Roamio Pro.

I recently had to replace an AVR that failed and put in a Denon X4000. With the Denon I was noticing that sync was off on my various sources including my TiVo, my PS4 and my HTPC.

Using a calibration disc I was able to get sync working well with the PS4 and the HTPC and incidentally both were at about 80msec.

However, this setting with the TiVo is still not quite right... even accounting for differences in different channels, etc.

I can extract the sync test pattern as an MP4, is there a relatively painless way to get it on the Roamio to get this dialed in properly, or is there another (easier) way to set the sync, such as a channel (Comcast) that displays a lip sync test loop at certain times of day?
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
tomhorsley

http://sourceforge.net/p/kmttg/wiki/Home/
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:31 PM   #3
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
Thanks. I've used kmttg but it's been quite a while and I was hoping to avoid having to install/configure software just to set sync properly on the Roamio. Would this require that I transcode my test file from H.264 to MPEG2? I'm concerned that this could possibly alter the timing in the file.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
tomhorsley

I don't actually know what kmttg does to upload a file or what native formats TiVo can play. I think kmttg only transcodes the file if it believes the native format won't work, but I'm not really sure of any of the details.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #5
jmpage2

Just wanted to follow-up on this. KMTTG does not push files from a computer to the TiVo. It allows you to download and/or transcode files that you PULL from the TiVo.

To push files requires setting up and configuring pyTiVo which requires downloading and installing a few things like Python, etc. It's all frankly too much of a PITA when all I want to do is play back a simple MPEG4 video on the TiVo.

F# it.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:03 PM   #6
fyodor

Where did you get the calibration disc-I'm looking for something to fix lip sync on my computer-AVR setup.

Pytivo takes like five minutes to set up and is extremely flexible and powerful. It's worth your time.
fyodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:13 PM   #7
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyodor View Post
Where did you get the calibration disc-I'm looking for something to fix lip sync on my computer-AVR setup.

Pytivo takes like five minutes to set up and is extremely flexible and powerful. It's worth your time.
I ordered a copy of Disney's WOW calibration Blu-ray. It includes an advanced setup section and one of the items is an audio/video sync calibration track.

The track features a rotating signal bar with a zero hash mark at both horizontal ends. There is an audio beep that accompanies the rotating signal bar. It has marks on it indicating how many milliseconds the audio is ahead of or behind the video when you hear the beep.

Now I just have to decide if it's worth the headache to transcode it and push it to the Roamio.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:16 PM   #8
kbmb

In the past I haven't used any calibration discs. What I've done is make sure my receiver is set to pass-through audio directly to the TV. Then I turn up my TV volume as well as the receiver. I then play something through Tivo and adjust the delay to get it to the point where is sounds in sync.

It's close enough for me ;-)

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:19 PM   #9
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
To push files requires setting up and configuring pyTiVo which requires downloading and installing a few things like Python, etc. It's all frankly too much of a PITA when all I want to do is play back a simple MPEG4 video on the TiVo.

F# it.
Do you have an old copy of the free Tivo desktop? This would allow you to send files back as well without all the hassle of installing python etc.

-Kevin
Old 05-22-2014, 04:19 PM   #10
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
In the past I haven't used any calibration discs. What I've done is make sure my receiver is set to pass-through audio directly to the TV. Then I turn up my TV volume as well as the receiver. I then play something through Tivo and adjust the delay to get it to the point where is sounds in sync.

It's close enough for me ;-)

-Kevin
That's actually not a bad "hack" and I'm rather embarrassed that I have not thought of it.

I might actually give that a try.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:19 PM   #11
jmpage2

Quote:
Do you have an old copy of the free Tivo desktop? This would allow you to send files back as well without all the hassle of installing python etc.

-Kevin
I had one ages ago but I'm pretty sure it is now long gone.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:21 PM   #12
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I had one ages ago but I'm pretty sure it is now long gone.
Well PM me if you need a copy of the Windows version.

-Kevin
Old 05-22-2014, 05:16 PM   #13
jmpage2

Quote:
Well PM me if you need a copy of the Windows version.

-Kevin
Thanks, PM sent!