TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-26-2014, 04:34 AM   #61
JWhites

I dunno I personally like Linksys products. I've been using Linksys SE2800 switches for everything and it's been so rock solid it boggles my mind.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:11 AM   #62
2004raptor

I had a thread here about my issue with trying to use a switch with a roamio and mini setup. Never really got it working the way I think it should.

Basically, I want my Roamio to plug into a router (which is in AP mode) that's connected to my main router. And My mini is connected to my main router.
This is all on the same network and I don't see why it doesn't work but the mini will not get the recordings or live tv from the roamio like this.

If they are both plugged into the main router they work fine.

What I am considering doing is leaving the mini plugged into the main router but then adding a switch before the router (AP mode) and plugging the roamio into that switch.

I'm not sure if this will work but again, I can't see why it wouldn't.
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:32 AM   #63
JWhites

By AP mode do you mean that router is set to bridge mode and the Ethernet cable going to it is going into the WAN port?
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:44 AM   #64
2004raptor

Yes, Netgear calls it Access Point mode. And I connected it as per their instructions. It's been a few months but I'm 99% sure it's in the WAN port.

For years (before I had the roamio or mini) I had it connected in one of the LAN ports and not in AP mode with no issues as far as other devices. I considered switching it back to test the mini/roamio communication but just never got around to it.
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:39 PM   #65
buckyswider

What they COULD do is put ping facilities into their devices. May be a little difficult for non-techs to understand, but a decent doc could show someone how to determine the IP addresses of each device and how to "ping" the other device it's trying to contact. A successful PING without excessive TTL would effectively rule out any (OK, "most") network-caused issues and allow troubleshooting to proceed without all this nonsense.

And yes, I'm having a V70 trying to set up a new MINI on a stable, three-hop home network.
buckyswider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:01 PM   #66
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckyswider View Post
What they COULD do is put ping facilities into their devices. May be a little difficult for non-techs to understand, but a decent doc could show someone how to determine the IP addresses of each device and how to "ping" the other device it's trying to contact. A successful PING without excessive TTL would effectively rule out any (OK, "most") network-caused issues and allow troubleshooting to proceed without all this nonsense.

And yes, I'm having a V70 trying to set up a new MINI on a stable, three-hop home network.
Anyone that knows about pinging does not need much help on networks from TiVo. If you use MoCA, TiVos systems works with the least problems, that what TiVo is looking for, network trouble shooting is not what TiVo is not looking for.

Good luck with your setup.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:55 PM   #67
buckyswider

It would help TiVo help others, but we can question their motives and methods 'til we're blue in the face to no avail. Like this.

Last edited by buckyswider : 09-17-2014 at 08:26 PM. Reason: I got yelled at by the board Sheriff
Old 09-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #68
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Try the MoCA related threads. There's nearly 100 of them to choose from.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:07 AM   #69
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004raptor View Post
Yes, Netgear calls it Access Point mode. And I connected it as per their instructions. It's been a few months but I'm 99% sure it's in the WAN port.

For years (before I had the roamio or mini) I had it connected in one of the LAN ports and not in AP mode with no issues as far as other devices. I considered switching it back to test the mini/roamio communication but just never got around to it.
I use several ASus routers in AP mode. That is what ASus calls it, which is what it is. Since they become just an Access Point.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:16 PM   #70
HDRyder9

I have a Layer 3 Cisco managed switch. My old Mini works fine but my new Mini gets the V87 error about twice an hour. I switched to MOCA and I still get the V87 error. You can't blame my switch.
HDRyder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:47 PM   #71
buckyswider

sounds like a bad Mini??
Old 09-25-2014, 11:44 PM   #72
HDRyder9

I hate to send it back but I guess I have to.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:18 PM   #73
sathead

I just hooked up a second Mini via ethernet (through a switch) and got two v87 errors while watching the recording still in progress football game last night. That was the first time I used this particular Mini. Our original Mini is connected directly to the same router that the Roamio Base is connected to and has been flawless- although I don't think it's ever been used to watch shows that are currently being recorded.
I'm going to swap the two Mini's between locations and see if the problem follows the Mini or it's location based....
sathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:38 PM   #74
HDRyder9

I was getting an couple errors per hour but it just shopped. I haven't had an error in about 10 days.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:40 PM   #75
dbwilbur

I finally solved my issues by using a wireless extender that also has a gigabit ethernet port. The mini is running quite nicely streaming over wireless now!
dbwilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:12 PM   #76
sathead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathead View Post
I'm going to swap the two Mini's between locations and see if the problem follows the Mini or it's location based....
Well I did the swap- watched the full (almost 4hrs) Giants/Dallas game (while it was still recording) with no errors in the location where I had v87 errors previously. Got about 1/2 way through the Broncos/49ers game (while it was still being recorded) and got a v87, then another one about half an hour later.

At this point- it would actually be easier for me to just move the Roamio to the room where I watch live recordings in progress (during football season) and put the 2nd Mini where the Roamio is now as nobody watches live recordings in progress at that location. It's the same three connections for the Roamio or Mini so the swap would literally take less than 60 seconds rather than trying to chase down the v87 error or run a new cat6 drop (and switch) up to the attic, down two floors through the fireplace chase to downstairs where the Roamio and other Mini reside.

Last edited by sathead : 10-20-2014 at 02:19 PM.
sathead is offline   Reply With Quote