TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-20-2014, 10:12 PM   #1
Robdalec

Tivo becomes "inactivated"

I have a Tivo HD series 3. When I got home Sunday evening I turned on the television and displayed on the screen was a message that my Tivo was not activated and that I needed to call Tivo or go online to activate it. I called and was instructed to force a connection and everything would be just fine. Performed this and once it was complete everything was just fine.

Tonight same issue, came home, turned on the TV and had the same message about the Tivo not being activated. I forced a connection expecting that would fix everything again but this time it didn't. It went through the whole downloading process and when it was complete I still had the message about activating the Tivo. Checked my account status and it showed 3-Account in good standing. Status on Tivo web site also shows everything is OK.

I then restarted the Tivo to see if that would help. The activation message disappeared and my channel listings came back but the To Do list is totally screwed up. Programs that aren't going to be recorded because they are repeats now show, "This program will not be recorded because it was scheduled with a Tivo Plus service feature. To upgrade to Tivo plus service go to Tivo central and choose "How to upgrade to Tivo Plus service". There are also all sorts of programs in the To Do list which I have never requested be recorded and which are not in the season pass list.

I've been a Tivo customer almost since day one and this is the first real problem I've ever had.

Anyone have a clue whats going on?
Old 05-20-2014, 11:03 PM   #2
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

I have a base Roamio (1 of 3), that's being dog-slow, and sometimes telling me it needs to be activated, then that message disappears, and the channels go out, random reboots, etc. Rinse and repeat...

It's like it has a virus, or a poltergeist in it.

The hard drive tests fine. The other one coming off the same splitter isn't doing this, nor is the one in the other room.

Your post gives me some hope that the TiVo service has an issue.

I'm, not liking alternative possibilities for this behavior.

The three are ~9 months in-service, with lifetime service.

I'm in the middle of the last thing I could try that doesn't wipe out all my recordings. I'll likely be back to post more, no matter which way things go...
Old 05-21-2014, 05:13 AM   #3
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robdalec View Post
I have a Tivo HD series 3. When I got home Sunday evening I turned on the television and displayed on the screen was a message that my Tivo was not activated and that I needed to call Tivo or go online to activate it. I called and was instructed to force a connection and everything would be just fine. Performed this and once it was complete everything was just fine.

Tonight same issue, came home, turned on the TV and had the same message about the Tivo not being activated. I forced a connection expecting that would fix everything again but this time it didn't. It went through the whole downloading process and when it was complete I still had the message about activating the Tivo. Checked my account status and it showed 3-Account in good standing. Status on Tivo web site also shows everything is OK.

I then restarted the Tivo to see if that would help. The activation message disappeared and my channel listings came back but the To Do list is totally screwed up. Programs that aren't going to be recorded because they are repeats now show, "This program will not be recorded because it was scheduled with a Tivo Plus service feature. To upgrade to Tivo plus service go to Tivo central and choose "How to upgrade to Tivo Plus service". There are also all sorts of programs in the To Do list which I have never requested be recorded and which are not in the season pass list.

I've been a Tivo customer almost since day one and this is the first real problem I've ever had.

A while back a bunch of lifetime customers got the same message about TiVo Plus service. That message only relates to series 2 units with a DVD that came with free "Basic" service (3 days guide, no TTG).

TiVo was cleaning up their database on those old units and effed up. In most cases a reboot fixed it but the To Do List took a day or two to rebuild properly. Your TDL should fix itself now that the account status is correct. If not, I would perform a Clear Program Info and To Do List to force it to rebuild the guide data from scratch.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:47 AM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robdalec View Post

Go into Sys Info and double check your TiVo Service Number against the sticker on the back and against what TiVo's web site says it is.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:42 PM   #5
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
A while back a bunch of lifetime customers got the same message about TiVo Plus service. That message only relates to series 2 units with a DVD that came with free "Basic" service (3 days guide, no TTG).

TiVo was cleaning up their database on those old units and effed up. In most cases a reboot fixed it but the To Do List took a day or two to rebuild properly. Your TDL should fix itself now that the account status is correct. If not, I would perform a Clear Program Info and To Do List to force it to rebuild the guide data from scratch.
I had to try KS57&58, Clear the Program Info & to Do list, repeat KS57&58 (also did a KS54 SMART value check and short test), disconnect the cable coax to the TiVo, disconnect the USB cable to the TA, disconnect the network cable, permanently delete everything in the deleted items folder, delete all my ARWLs, delete any programs related to the ARWLs, then do another clearing (all things possible short of a full C&DE, and nuking all my recordings), hook up the network cable during the second clearing, hook up the coax, power on the TA, wait 5 minutes, connect the USB cable to the TA, then go to sleep, to find all is well the following morning. To keep things accurate, that morning was just a couple hours ago, after staying awake very long trying so many things.

This is the short version of describing it, as was my first post to the OP.

All seems well again, so far.

Just like you seem to be thinking, I was also thinking corrupted guide data and/or databases, etc. It all started off with reboots around the times it would be downloading and installing things during scheduled TiVo service connections.

I just ordered three WD30EURX drives from NewEgg, allowing me to put AV-GP drives in my Roamios, and giving me back the WD Red NAS drives I have been using, to use for computer applications (win-win, since the 3Tb AV-GPs were a NewEgg shellshocker today).

I found it interesting that NewEgg is now designating the AV-GP drives as older models, and the "newer version" link brings you to the WD Purple equivalent.

Any thoughts on the WD Purple, or if NewEgg is right about them being the new models to phase-out the AV-GP EURX drives, like how the EURS was considered the old version, and the EURX the new version?

I know that EURS drives work more than fast enough for all current, and past, TiVo models, making the EURX just a (well we pretty much know what it is).

I don't think the Purple will be bringing anything truly new to the table, unless TiVo starts using the true ATA-streaming features command set. I doubt they ever will, making the Purple just more expensive, and not making the TiVo experience any better.

I did take note that the Purple can have the TLER and other parameters tweaked. Any thoughts on that?

I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll probably start a WD Purple thread. Feel free to PM me if you also don't wish to threadjack.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:22 PM   #6
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Roamio related thread, likely due to exact same issue can be found here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=517829

It's a thread started by a base-Roamio user, fearing a dying unit, just like my first fears were.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:09 AM   #7
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

I spoke too soon. Yet another reboot during processing after a TiVo Service connection on the same base-Roamio.

Looks like all I can do is a full Clear & Delete Everything, or just slap a blank drive in (even though there's nothing wrong with the one in it).

EDIT/ADD: Now it's just rebooting every ~10-15 minutes. I've learned how to identify database corruption, and there is no doubt in my mind, at all, that this is the case! Good thing I bought an extra TiVo and paid for the service, just to try and not lose everything when BS like this happens!

Last edited by nooneuknow : 05-25-2014 at 01:35 AM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:41 AM   #8
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I spoke too soon. Yet another reboot during processing after a TiVo Service connection on the same base-Roamio.

Looks like all I can do is a full Clear & Delete Everything, or just slap a blank drive in (even though there's nothing wrong with the one in it).

EDIT/ADD: Now it's just rebooting every ~10-15 minutes. I've learned how to identify database corruption, and there is no doubt in my mind, at all, that this is the case! Good thing I bought an extra TiVo and paid for the service, just to try and not lose everything when BS like this happens!

How are you determining database corruption? Is there evidence in the log files?
Sony SAT-T60 + Turbonet (Retired)
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote