TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
Bytez

My gripes about the Roamio Plus

I switched to the Roamio Plus after having used the Motorola 7216 with Verizon Fios for a while. I feel like the Tivo is a let down after reading lots of positive comments about it.

1. No standby button on remote, have to go through the menu or press the button on the front of the unit.
2. No way to disable the annoying sounds when the arrow and select key is pressed and other sounds in the menu.
3. Guide doesn't show the channel logo with the name. There is empty space on the left, they could've fit it there.
4. When changing channels, it does not show the program info unless you press INFO button.
5. It does not remember Recording preferences for how long to keep a show for. I want all shows to be kept until I delete by default.
6. The progress bar only shows in 1 minute intervals, also when FF or RW, the progress bar disappears. They should add a setting to control those behavior.
6. You can only pause shows for up to 30 minutes. I think it was much longer on the 7216. Why not increase it as long as there is adequate free space?
7. Some parts of the menu are not optimized for HD.
8. Can't play video in slow motion when paused unless you repeatedly press the forward button. Should play it when it's held down instead of having to press.
9. Seems like switching channels is slower than the 7216.

I wish the Tivo gives the user more flexibility and options compared to the 7216. It is a step backwards from it in many ways. Overall, I can still live with it despite all those. Hope someone from Tivo reads this thread.

Last edited by Bytez : 05-16-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Bytez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:09 PM   #2
moyekj

2. You most certainly can turn off TiVo sounds. That's 1st thing I do for a new unit.
Settings-Audio-Sound Effects Volume-Off
3. Look to left of preview window to see channel logo + name
4. Does for me.
5. Be careful using KUID.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:35 PM   #3
Bytez

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
2. You most certainly can turn off TiVo sounds. That's 1st thing I do for a new unit.
Settings-Audio-Sound Effects Volume-Off
3. Look to left of preview window to see channel logo + name
4. Does for me.
5. Be careful using KUID.
3. I meant for every channel on the list, not the current highlighted channel.
4. It doesn't show the program info.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:12 PM   #4
Bytez

I just noticed that the guide on the Tivo app has the channel logo along with the number on the left.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:23 PM   #5
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Standby on a Tivo only shuts off the video outputs, nothing more. Albeit, it avoids those dreaded EMS messages.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:26 PM   #6
Bytez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Standby on a Tivo only shuts off the video outputs, nothing more. Albeit, it avoids those dreaded EMS messages.
I thought it also stops buffering of the current channel as well.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:11 PM   #7
lpwcomp

1. Used to be one on the remote and the remote code is still honored.

2. Already addressed. Disabling sound effects Is also the first thing I do when setting up a new TiVo.

3. Insufficient room for some of the logos.

4. If you change the channel while the full program info is displayed, the full program info will be displayed for the new channel.

5. I wish it were an option, but can live w/o it. I understand the pitfalls in having it as a default but there are a lot of people that don't. There is what amounts to an almost religious schism in the TCF about the use of KUID.

6a. The progress bar only disappears during 1x FF. Stays around for RW or 2x or 3x FF.

6b. Increasing the length of the live buffers - maybe, but each half-hour increase reduces your recording capacity by 3-hours on a 6-tuner device. Having it use all of the available space - HELL NO!!

7. More of it converted to HD with every release.

8. Slow-mo button works for me when paused.

Do you cook your nits or consume them raw? Sugar and Cream or plain?

9. Then sell your TiVo, re-acquire a 7216, and go back to putting up with its "deficiencies".

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:18 PM   #8
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytez View Post
I thought it also stops buffering of the current channel as well.
Nope. Don't want it to either. I think it might do so or did at one time on a DirecTiVo.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:49 PM   #9
Bytez

Why would I need the DVR to constantly record to the HDD when I have no intentions of watching TV? That is the point of turning the unit off, IMO. I hope Tivo change this or at least give an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
8. Slow-mo button works for me when paused.

9. Then sell your TiVo, re-acquire a 7216, and go back to putting up with its "deficiencies".
Yes, it works but you have to constantly press the forward key. It'd be better to just press the forward button once or hold it down.

I'm not here to bash Tivo, just wanted to share my thoughts on it. It's free speech, right? I don't think it's worth the extra cost of having to rent the dvr so I'll live with it. They're not a deal breaker.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:09 PM   #10
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
I switched to the Roamio Plus after having used the Motorola 7216 with Verizon Fios for a while. I feel like the Tivo is a let down after reading lots of positive comments about it.

1. No standby button on remote, have to go through the menu or press the button on the front of the unit.
2. No way to disable the annoying sounds when the arrow and select key is pressed and other sounds in the menu.
3. Guide doesn't show the channel logo with the name. There is empty space on the left, they could've fit it there.
4. When changing channels, it does not show the program info unless you press INFO button.
5. It does not remember Recording preferences for how long to keep a show for. I want all shows to be kept until I delete by default.
6. The progress bar only shows in 1 minute intervals, also when FF or RW, the progress bar disappears. They should add a setting to control those behavior.
6. You can only pause shows for up to 30 minutes. I think it was much longer on the 7216. Why not increase it as long as there is adequate free space?
7. Some parts of the menu are not optimized for HD.
8. Can't play video in slow motion when paused unless you repeatedly press the forward button. Should play it when it's held down instead of having to press.
9. Seems like switching channels is slower than the 7216.

I wish the Tivo gives the user more flexibility and options compared to the 7216. It is a step backwards from it in many ways. Overall, I can still live with it despite all those. Hope someone from Tivo reads this thread.
1. Standby is basically useless, outside of it helps with EMS messages as noted.
2. As noted, its easily turned off.
3. One more thing to bog down the Premieres... I know all the channels I watch.... pretty little logos would be just eye candy, no? and who watches live tv anymore, anyway?
4. Just record everything and you dont even need to worry about descriptions. <shrug> Or use one of the versions of the guide, if you must. Or press the info key as you've discovered.
5. Set everything "Keep until I delete" and things go insane. See the many discussions on here. Deleted items, then suggestions, then finally your oldest show will get deleted if it needs room for a newer scheduled recording. Takes a lot to get to that point... especially with a % meter right there at the top
6. The progress bar scales depending on the recorded program length? I just fast forwarded through a 60 minute show and the progress bar stayed there the whole time? It disappears when paused so that it doesn't obscure the image.... since people usually pause things to inspect something.
6 #2? Just record what you like to watch and another one of your problems just disappeared! Only a couple of (old) models have allowed anything outside of the 30 minute window. Tivo isnt likely to budge on this. Just hit record if you were remiss in setting up a handy season pass or wishlist!
7. Yeah, we've all been waiting on them to finish moving them over to HD, forever. However, basically all of the remaining SD screens are in settings where you likely will never go once you've got everything set the way you like it.
8. Um, just hit the 'slow-mo' button right under pause, or play.
9. Just set everything you want to watch to record... <shrug> No delay when you just hit play! You've got six tuners, put em to work!

I often record up to entire seasons of shows I havent decided I want to watch or not, and then either catch up, or delete em (esp. if the show wasnt renewed!

99% of the time that I'm in live tv is just in between recorded shows and in the once in a blue moon something catches my eye... i'll either hit record and come back to it in a bit to avoid commercials, or more likely grab the remote or Ipad app and search for a future showing and set it to record from the beginning.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:55 PM   #11
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Why would I need the DVR to constantly record to the HDD when I have no intentions of watching TV? That is the point of turning the unit off, IMO. I hope Tivo change this or at least give an option.
Well, it's unlikely that this will ever change, given that the idea that the TiVo is always recording is pretty much a fundamental design feature, and has been since the TiVo has been around.

It does provide the advantage that if you arrive home and happen to see that something interesting is on, you can rewind and watch more (or all) of it. You may not have been planning on watching whatever was, but since the TiVo is always recording, you can.

In any case, since the TiVo doesn't spin down the drive, not to mention is constantly doing tasks that involve read and write operations on the drive, whether or not the TiVo is actually recording doesn't really change much. If energy savings is your concern, whether the TiVo is recording would make negligible impact.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:56 PM   #12
lpwcomp

Quote:
A TiVo is not, never has been, and never will be designed to be "turned off". If you want it to stop recording the live buffers, simply put all of the tuners on a channel you don't receive.

Quote:
Yes, it works but you have to constantly press the forward key. It'd be better to just press the forward button once or hold it down.
I don't. One press of the slow mo button suffices. It's right below the pause button.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:00 AM   #13
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
I just checked and slow motion definitely works from a pause state, and you don't have to "constantly press the forward key."

On the TiVo Slide Pro remote (and I think on the standard remote) the slow motion is the bottom of the dial control in the center of the remote, labeled with a "|>" symbol.

The key I think you are pressing is the fast forward/frame advance button, the one on the right of the dial. Frame advance is not the same key as the slow motion key.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:46 AM   #14
Bytez

Thanks guys for the responses. I feel dumb for missing the slow motion key.

Edit: is there a way to find out which channel each tuner is tuned in and how to "reset" them all?

Last edited by Bytez : 05-17-2014 at 01:00 AM.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:40 AM   #15
Millionaire2K

"is there a way to find out which channel each tuner is tuned"

From live TV Press the "info" button and then the down arrow.

You can restart all the tuners buy restarting the box.

Tivo central
Settings and messages
Help
Restart or reset
restart the TiVo box

Why would you want to "reset" them all? It will just tune them all to the same ch.
Millionaire2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:48 AM   #16
lpwcomp

Info->Down arrow to the line of circles to find out what each tuner is doing.

I was going to suggest kmttg autotune to change the channels but I'm only seeing 2-tuners, even on my Roamio.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:06 PM   #17
DoubleDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millionaire2K View Post
Why would you want to "reset" them all? It will just tune them all to the same ch.
When I first got my TiVo last week, I "thought" I could have quick access to a few favorite channels by setting each tuner to a different one. Well, that idea didn't last very long at all, duh.....
DoubleDAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:22 PM   #18
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
When I first got my TiVo last week, I "thought" I could have quick access to a few favorite channels by setting each tuner to a different one. Well, that idea didn't last very long at all, duh.....
Because...?

Old 05-17-2014, 01:36 PM   #19
celtic pride

You might try reading the user manual when you have free time! You remind me of me,we are so eiger to play with our new toys and jump right in ,that we fail to even look at the book because we think we already know all the functions and how to use them LOL!
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #20
awsnyde

Quote:
Because...?
Because recordings, whether ones you've set or ones the TiVo thinks you might be interested in, will change those other channels. (And as others have noted, a restart, whether voluntary or otherwise , will also reset all the channels to the same one, generally the one you had "active" at reset time.)

It will work for a short period of time, when no recordings are planned, and assuming your TiVo doesn't spontaneously reboot during that time.
awsnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:52 PM   #21
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsnyde View Post
Because recordings, whether ones you've set or ones the TiVo thinks you might be interested in, will change those other channels. (And as others have noted, a restart, whether voluntary or otherwise , will also reset all the channels to the same one, generally the one you had "active" at reset time.)

It will work for a short period of time, when no recordings are planned, and assuming your TiVo doesn't spontaneously reboot during that time.
Well, I turn off suggestions and have repeating manual recordings (10min @6AM) so all of the tuners are set to my favorite channels. Unplanned reboots don't happen that often.

At night, most or all of the tuners are busy recording stuff I have explicitly scheduled, either manually or vie an SP.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:39 PM   #22
awsnyde

Quote:
Well, I turn off suggestions and have repeating manual recordings (10min @6AM) so all of the tuners are set to my favorite channels. Unplanned reboots don't happen that often.

At night, most or all of the tuners are busy recording stuff I have explicitly scheduled, either manually or vie an SP.
If I understand correctly your first paragraph vs. your second, you're just using the other channels as favorites during one day, because while recording overnight the tuners will get set to the channels of your manual and SP recordings? Or are all your manual and SP recording on some small set of channels that can fit into the number of tuners you have (yikes, I'd need something like at least 20 tuners for that to work!)?

I'm like you, I turn off suggestions (don't tell me what to watch! ), but I think the majority or even vast majority of TiVo users leave them on. Plus I think the original question wanted to use the other channels as favorites over multiple days.
awsnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 05:12 PM   #23
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsnyde View Post
If I understand correctly your first paragraph vs. your second, you're just using the other channels as favorites during one day, because while recording overnight the tuners will get set to the channels of your manual and SP recordings? Or are all your manual and SP recording on some small set of channels that can fit into the number of tuners you have (yikes, I'd need something like at least 20 tuners for that to work!)?
Yes, every night they get used and end up on other channels. Then the next morning at 6AM, they are set back to my favorites. I have one repeating manual recording for each tuner that is set to run every day.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:28 PM   #24
aaronwt
HD Addict

As far as sounds, the OP is on FIOS, so all content is in Dolby Digital. You don't get any TiVo sounds when there is DD audio. So the only time you encounter the sounds is when viewing an SD menu.

Although now that I think about it, I guess there might be sounds if you don't use the preview window. I use the preview window on FIOS. All I do for sounds it put it on low since I do want to hear them when they are available. IF for some reason I am watching a show and I am able to hear the TiVo sounds, it means the box is outputting PCM instead of DD for some reason. I have had this occur a couple of times with the Roamio.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #25
b_scott
TiVo Fan

random thought, but I have two Premieres lifetimed that I have had since those launched. So, 4 years? I wonder when the next Tivo will come out. I don't feel the need to upgrade to a Roamio for how I use my Tivos. But I wonder if they'll last 4 more years.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:03 PM   #26
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
random thought, but I have two Premieres lifetimed that I have had since those launched. So, 4 years? I wonder when the next Tivo will come out. I don't feel the need to upgrade to a Roamio for how I use my Tivos. But I wonder if they'll last 4 more years.
Why wouldn't they?

Old 05-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #27
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Why wouldn't they?
because one of them seems slower than the other, and many recordings are starting to glitch on me.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:26 PM   #28
lpwcomp

Quote:
because one of them seems slower than the other, and many recordings are starting to glitch on me.
So replace the disk drive(s).

Old 05-19-2014, 01:28 PM   #29
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
So replace the disk drive(s).
there's no way to know that that's the issue. And that can be a major hassle, it's not just pulling out and popping one in.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:37 PM   #30
lpwcomp

Quote:
there's no way to know that that's the issue.
It is the most likely cause.

Quote:
And that can be a major hassle, it's not just pulling out and popping one in.
Having done it numerous times, I know very well exactly what is involved. It may be a bit tedious, but is far from a "major hassle".