TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #241
gschrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
A little history. I believe the original C compilers were quite a bear to use - prior to hard drives, when you wrote your code, you then invoked the compiler. The compiler ground for minutes loading stuff off disk, your source code, then running it through the compilation process. The compiler was too big to fit on a floppy disk, and midway through, you had to eject the disk, swap it with the second stage compiler, and resume the compiling process. Then you had to swap disks again to run the linker and finally you had a binary. (You had to have two floppy drives - your code was on the second drive, the compiler parts and DOS used the first floppy drive).

This was such a pain. Back in 1983, a little upstart called Borland released Turbo Pascal. What made it "Turbo" was that it provided an editor, compiler and linker on *one* disk, and compiled in RAM. When you finished coding and hit compile, it would take the code, run the compiler on the code and store the object code in RAM. It then linked the code in RAM (pascal at the time made it really easy to do a single-pass compilation). This made the Borland tools MUCH faster - "lines/sec" was proudly displayed during compilation, but the need to not swap floppies and suspend/resume compiling meant you were running in under a minute, versus ten minutes or more.

Turbo C accomplished similar things as well, but this was back in 1989 or so.
I remember as late as sometime in the late 80's my high school had a, hmm, Honeywell? mainframe machine that we used. We had about 12-16 terminals for it as I recall, but when we were compiling C code, you could only have one person in each phase of the compiling at a time (I think specifically, the compiling phase caused the problem, once you got to linking, it was ok for someone else to start compiling). We had to have little signs to put on our terminals that indicated who was currently compiling.
gschrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:45 PM   #242
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
They're losing me; almost out. I FF'd thru most of this one.
Yes, I FF'd through some parts also. Some of the scenes I had to roll my eyes it was so bad, and I'm not talking about any technical errors. Just some of the drama they decided to add (like the good guy engineer breaking the store's glass window to steal two dolls) is just stupid. I realize they had to add some drama to what would have been a very boring technical story but I, for one, think they picked some lousy examples!

I'll probably stick with it but its definitely not as good as I thought it would be!!

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:29 PM   #243
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaszeta View Post
Heck, there was C++ around then, too (someplace I've got a really, really old version of Cfront, the C++' 'compiler' that was really a preprocessor, and did some gnarly name mangling to make all the C++ stuff work)
From wikipedia, it was only called C++ in/after 1983 (along with // comments coming in then), and the book came out in 1985.

So clearly too early for this show.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:33 PM   #244
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
A couple times in this show they've made comments about what a huge, successful company Apple is. I can't remember if it was this episode or a previous one, but someone mentioned that Apple spends millions each day just on catering, or something like that. Was Apple really all that successful in 1983?
The catering obviously was a joke.. but from wikipedia:
On December 12, 1980, Apple went public at $22 per share,[41] generating more capital than any IPO since Ford Motor Company in 1956 and instantly creating more millionaires (about 300) than any company in history.[42]

The citation is from Michael Malone's "Infinite Loop" book. (Just found a typo in his name on the wikipedia page.)

No, I'm not trying to just spout wikipedia at you, obviously go do other research, etc...
Old 07-09-2014, 09:38 PM   #245
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
The first C compiler was written in 1979. By K&R (you know, of C and Unix fame?). So yes, there were C compilers back then. They were nowhere near as sophisticated as today's compilers, though. In fact, I think when you bought the IBM PC, you could buy a development kit that included C compilers and all that.
I said C compilers *FOR PERSONAL COMPUTERS*. You're 7 years too late, too.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:40 PM   #246
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
Whatever happen to all the Infocom games? They were fun. Can they be download from somewhere. Don't think anyone own them anymore.
If you are just "downloading" them, you are pirating them.

There are several Infocom collections of games that you can buy.. You can play them with interpreters on practically any computer ever made..

People write new games with the 'Inform' compiler that produces games in the same format (Z-code) that Infocom games ended up in. Infocom games use a virtual machine.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:00 AM   #247
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
I certainly remember playing ADVENTURE. The "terms" fee fie foe fu, and Plugh were a blast form the past. I remember decrypting the data file to read the text.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
Whatever happen to all the Infocom games? They were fun. Can they be download from somewhere. Don't think anyone own them anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
here you go.requires Java http://pot.home.xs4all.nl/infocom/
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaszeta View Post
I installed Frotz on my ipad and play my old Infocom favorites that way.

(A few weeks ago someone mentioned HHGTTG, and I mentioned that I could play through the entire game in 15 minutes since I remembered the steps. Indeed, fired up Frotz and gave him a demo)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
If you are just "downloading" them, you are pirating them.

There are several Infocom collections of games that you can buy.. You can play them with interpreters on practically any computer ever made..

People write new games with the 'Inform' compiler that produces games in the same format (Z-code) that Infocom games ended up in. Infocom games use a virtual machine.
You could try this site:

http://www.web-adventures.org/

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:03 AM   #248
wouldworker
_

Nobody caught the bug in her C code? The function declaration was something like:

char *getToken(char *str, char *endToken)

The function is supposed to return a pointer to the first character of the token and store a pointer to the last character of the token in endToken, which it does with the following line:

endToken = p;

This won't return the value to the caller. The function declaration should be:

char *getToken(char *str, char **endToken)

And the line that sets endToken should be:

*endToken = p;

I'm still watching for the computer stuff, but this show is really bad.
wouldworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:52 AM   #249
BluesFools

You're assuming that the language she's using is the C we all know and love. But we've already decided it wasn't any version of C which existed in our world in 1983. It's some magical language that uses yet-to-be-invented ANSI syntax, along with bits of Bjarne Stroustrup's personal pre-C++, BCPL/"C with classes" imaginings. Who knows what the frood any of the syntax actually means or how it works.

Anyway, she deleted it all (using the backspace key all the way!) probably because she couldn't get it to work due to the bug you spotted.
BluesFools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:20 AM   #250
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldworker View Post
Nobody caught the bug in her C code? The function declaration was something like:

char *getToken(char *str, char *endToken)

I'm still watching for the computer stuff, but this show is really bad.
With a nitpick this tiny, what would you consider good?

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #251
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post

Greg
Agree.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #252
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
This reminds me somewhat of the sorts of things producers could get away with before HD, but after HD they were blindsided for a time. Like how they rarely had to worry about folks reading papers being handled by a character, but now since you can often read what's on them if you pause, nowadays they actually have to write relevant info for those papers casually being carried by a character instead of it being the days production notes or script pages, or gibberish.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:33 AM   #253
wouldworker
_

Quote:
I didn't mean to imply that the show is bad because it got something like that wrong. It's bad because it's poorly written and mostly poorly acted. I like the computer stuff and there's not much else on so I watch anyway.
wouldworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:50 AM   #254
Worf

Hrm, no one's submitted it to the Source Code on TV and Films site yet?

(It's a site that tracks down where source code that appears in movies and TV actually came from.)
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:27 PM   #255
mattack

Had only one "technical" nitpick I noticed in the 7/13 episode. She said "dee eee see", rather than "deck" for DEC. (The captions got it right.)

Also, the kids mentioned something like "cut up and bake cookies". Were they maybe talking about the Pillsbury cookie 'loaf' thing? At first I thought they maybe were talking about the _even lazier_ version nowadays where you AFAIK don't even have to cut them up, they're little lumps already.. (Yes, I'm not sure I remembered exactly what they said.) I'm very very nitpicking, just wondering if they had something out of the wrong time.

Not sure what exactly the guy was doing at the very end.. is he literally starting to go crazy?

BTW, the Cardiff Giant story:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiff_Giant
Old 07-15-2014, 05:56 AM   #256
Family

Forget the technical inconsistencies. Since when is blond girl & Joe in a tight enough relationship that she'd be crying over losing him? And that was totally out of character for her.
Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:47 AM   #257
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family View Post
Forget the technical inconsistencies. Since when is blond girl & Joe in a tight enough relationship that she'd be crying over losing him? And that was totally out of character for her.
It's called "character development"....

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:51 AM   #258
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

According to Wikipedia this show is set in 1983, The ford taxi they took had a third brake light. They didn't start appearing till mandated in 1986.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:13 AM   #259
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Not sure what exactly the guy was doing at the very end.. is he literally starting to go crazy?
I wasn't sure what was going on there they did seem to imply that he was either having a breakdown or was very VERY drunk.

The only other thing that it made me think of was Seymour Cray. He used to dig a hole in his back yard when working on problems, but it wasn't about him being crazy or having a breakdown it was just something he did to clear his mind.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:35 AM   #260
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
According to Wikipedia this show is set in 1983, The ford taxi they took had a third brake light. They didn't start appearing till mandated in 1986.

1974 Valiant

XL4
Old 07-15-2014, 08:37 AM   #261
markp99
TakoKichi

That looks like the KIT 3rd break light I added to my wife's car, prior to the mandate on new vehicles
markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:51 AM   #262
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Yeah, I think some were showing up before the mandate, but certainly not many. For sure, the show made a boo-boo...I don't think cabs were using them before the mandate in '86...

XL4
Old 07-15-2014, 09:42 AM   #263
jautor
Also wants a pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Yeah, I think some were showing up before the mandate, but certainly not many. For sure, the show made a boo-boo...I don't think cabs were using them before the mandate in '86...
IIRC taxis were the test bed for the third brake light (in NYC?) and it was the reduction in rear-end collisions from that test that got them mandated.

But I agree it was a goof in the show.
jautor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:14 AM   #264
DeDondeEs

I was thinking to myself a few episodes ago that this show was going to end with everyone having HIV. I am glad they are giving Cameron a more personable personality and business like look. The angst-ridden, punk-rock listening, messy hair, t-shirt wearing thing was getting very old.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #265
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
It's called "character development"....
Bingo, and Cameron is an odd bird for lots of reasons, so I wouldn't say she'd get attached in the usual ways, she has no set path.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:36 PM   #266
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Wasn't it just last episode (or maybe two episodes ago) when Cameron was cleaning her stuff out of Joe's apartment and wanted nothing to do with him? I'm actually a little confused about how close they seemed in this episode, given how rocky things were so recently. And so that makes it all the more strange that Cameron would seem to get emotional over the fact that Joe was (presumably) trying to get back with the designer guy.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #267
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Wasn't it just last episode (or maybe two episodes ago) when Cameron was cleaning her stuff out of Joe's apartment and wanted nothing to do with him? I'm actually a little confused about how close they seemed in this episode, given how rocky things were so recently. And so that makes it all the more strange that Cameron would seem to get emotional over the fact that Joe was (presumably) trying to get back with the designer guy.
But that happened right before she talked to Joe's father. I think that chat changed her opinion of Joe to some extent....

XL4
Old 07-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #268
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Cameron looked pretty good at the photo exhibit. Version 1.0, meh.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:04 PM   #269
MPSAN

I do not know why, but I am still watching. Will this end, or are they going to go after a 2nd season?!!
Old 07-21-2014, 04:32 PM   #270
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

2 more eps in season one, then we'll have to wait and see. the ratings are lower than amc's last two cancellations.

it's not looking good:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg hacf.jpg (92.7 KB, 218 views)

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote