TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-01-2014, 07:22 AM   #211
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I sure don't know where this "Mad Men of the 80s" stuff came from, but I haven't read ANYTHING like that about this show. Far as I know, this show is uniquely styled for the subject...
I agree. I haven't seen anything that reminds me of Mad Men either.

I am still watching it but am not sure how much longer. It's sort of at a point of I don't care whether I watch it or not. Though it is still on SP so I might if I have run out of other things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:31 AM   #212
Church AV Guy

I certainly remember playing ADVENTURE. The "terms" fe fi fo fu, and Plugh were a blast form the past. I remember decrypting the data file to read the text.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:38 AM   #213
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I agree. I haven't seen anything that reminds me of Mad Men either.
Like Mad Men, almost none of the characters are likable.

Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:03 AM   #214
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Like Mad Men, almost none of the characters are likable.
Disagree....I like Gordon and Donna. Cameron is a teddy bear, too...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:51 AM   #215
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuntington3 View Post
I'm on the fence. Thinking of bailing but feel somehow committed to finishing it.
That's kind of where I am. The last episode was such a total bore that I wound up actually losing interest in it about 1/3 way through and started playing Candy Crush. Yet the topic itself is what keeps me watching. I just wish I actually gave a crap about any of these people. Maybe then I'd be more interested.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #216
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I sure don't know where this "Mad Men of the 80s" stuff came from, but I haven't read ANYTHING like that about this show. Far as I know, this show is uniquely styled for the subject...
http://www.avclub.com/review/halt-an...mad-men-205150

http://www.bustle.com/articles/26286...n-breaking-bad

https://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/yahoo-tv/...003116173.html

And that's on the first page of my Google search.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:17 PM   #217
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

You can find anything you want with the proper key words...doesn't prove anything.

XL4
Old 07-03-2014, 06:53 PM   #218
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
I certainly remember playing ADVENTURE. The "terms" fe fi fo fu, and Plugh were a blast form the past. I remember decrypting the data file to read the text.
The best part of this episode was loading Colossal Cave onto their mainframe computer and then a whole bunch of people playing it at the same time.

Around that time period a coworker handed me a computer mag tape. It was labeled: Colossal Cave - do not load onto your system or no real work will ever be done again.

This version was written in Fortran and our "mainframes" were all Digital Equip Corp PDP-11s running RSX-11M. (Anyone remember these systems?) It had a Fortran compiler but some of the syntax was a little different, but after a few days (on my own time, OF COURSE!) I got it to run. And within a few days if you went into the terminal area during lunch EVERY SINGLE terminal had someone running Colossal Cave!!! It was just like what was shown in the TV show!

No one could finish it until some enterprising person mapped out EVERY SINGLE location and item and finally finished the game.

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:35 AM   #219
Worf

Well, no discussions about this week's episode yet?

So... how is it Cameron is writing ANSI C code prior to ANSI C being approved (C89 - 1989, this show places itself in the early/mid 80s)? (Nevermind that C compilers supporting it don't necessarily come right when the standard's approved).

Though, one of my friends actually had the K&R version of the K&R book. (I have the ANSI C version of the K&R)

And Gordon... oh my.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:37 AM   #220
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

This episode took place in August 1983 based on the fact that Hurricane Alicia was referenced on the news during the episode.

I know Cabbage Patch Kids were a huge craze at Christmas 1983, but I think it was inaccurate to show them being sold out in stores in August 1983.

With regard to Gordon being completely opposed to Cameron's idea for an OS "with a soul," why was he saying that it would take up tons of real estate and require a massive hardware redesign? Why would it matter what the OS code was? Shouldn't it have been able to run on the hardware they had already designed?
Old 07-08-2014, 07:36 AM   #221
markp99
TakoKichi

They're losing me; almost out. I FF'd thru most of this one.
markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:46 AM   #222
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I was kind of whizzing thru it and then suddenly there is Gordon soaking wet in a parking lot looking at a dead person.

Actually a lot of the show was like this - Head guy looking at billboard and changing appearance. Cameron looking frustrated and sulky then looking high. Gordon soaking wet and finding dead person. Head guy at home with Gordon's wife playing with kids the way Gordon should have been. Wife eating grapefruit with other guy because for women in the 80's there was the grapefruit diet.

Was there something about coding in there? I don't know. The drama is supposed to hold me since I know nothing of coding. It is failing. Yet, I don't have much else on my TiVo to watch so I keep going.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:00 AM   #223
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

you all just need to relax. The show is FICTION, its not meant to be historically accurate. I am sure if we all worked for the DEA we would think that Breaking Bad was a pile of horse manure riddled with factual errors.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:10 AM   #224
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
you all just need to relax. The show is FICTION, its not meant to be historically accurate. I am sure if we all worked for the DEA we would think that Breaking Bad was a pile of horse manure riddled with factual errors.
Pinpoint. While the complainers in this thread say they FF thru portions of the show and bitch about the tech inaccuracies, I FF thru the complaining in this thread and just enjoy the show.

XL4
Old 07-08-2014, 10:08 AM   #225
Martha

Was the dead person supposed to be the store owner? Most of this episode made very little sense to me. And up to now, I've enjoyed the show.
Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:14 AM   #226
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Was the dead person supposed to be the store owner? Most of this episode made very little sense to me. And up to now, I've enjoyed the show.
No. I don't think we were supposed to know who it was. Just someone who got electrocuted when the power lines came down. And because Gordon had just committed a crime, he couldn't call the police or do anything to help.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #227
BluesFools

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
With regard to Gordon being completely opposed to Cameron's idea for an OS "with a soul," why was he saying that it would take up tons of real estate and require a massive hardware redesign? Why would it matter what the OS code was? Shouldn't it have been able to run on the hardware they had already designed?
Gordon would have to redesign the h/w because Cameron said her changes would require more memory. An extra 384k means more chips and redoing PD. This is in the days where "640k should be enough for anybody".

And C++ style comments in 1983 C... no.
BluesFools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:26 PM   #228
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
So... how is it Cameron is writing ANSI C code prior to ANSI C being approved (C89 - 1989, this show places itself in the early/mid 80s)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesFools View Post
And C++ style comments in 1983 C... no.
Darn, you guys brought up the two main issues that TOTALLY jumped out at me during the show.

Heck, were there even *C COMPILERS* for personal computers at that point in time? This show is what, 1981-2 or so? e.g. the original Mac interfaces were assembly or Pascal, and that's 1984 (shipping to people).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:46 PM   #229
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Darn, you guys brought up the two main issues that TOTALLY jumped out at me during the show. Heck, were there even *C COMPILERS* for personal computers at that point in time? This show is what, 1981-2 or so? e.g. the original Mac interfaces were assembly or Pascal, and that's 1984 (shipping to people).
There was Lattice C available in the early 80s. A lot of funkiness in that version, but there were a lot of CPM programs ported to DOS using that. Heck, there was C++ around then, too (someplace I've got a really, really old version of Cfront, the C++' 'compiler' that was really a preprocessor, and did some gnarly name mangling to make all the C++ stuff work)

Although it's distinctly too early for // comments. Those showed up sometime after the first edition of Stroustrup, IIRC.

Last edited by kaszeta : 07-08-2014 at 10:53 PM.
kaszeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:30 AM   #230
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I hate you people. I just spent about an hour trying to hunt down the earliest C compiler I remember (well, "remember" was a bit incorrect till now) using; and surprisingly it's not in Wikipedia*.

It was DeSmet-C from C-Ware Corporation. I found a site dedicated to it, that offers many of the versions for download as well as source code of the compiler itself (the guy tracked down the owners and got permission, believe it or not, since they were long out of business).

The earliest version they have on the site has files dated near the end of 1983. It's version 2.40, so I'd sort of guess it was out earlier in 1.0 and pre-1.0 forms.

http://www.desmet-c.com/
http://www.desmet-c.com/ver_240.shtml

*And now my first Wikipedia edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rs#C_compilers

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:18 AM   #231
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

A couple times in this show they've made comments about what a huge, successful company Apple is. I can't remember if it was this episode or a previous one, but someone mentioned that Apple spends millions each day just on catering, or something like that. Was Apple really all that successful in 1983?

Also, with regard to the coding comments, did we actually see any code with comments, or are we just talking about that scene where Cameron was looking at the screen and laughing at the comments Yo-Yo had put in the code?
Old 07-09-2014, 02:06 AM   #232
Worf

The first C compiler was written in 1979. By K&R (you know, of C and Unix fame?). So yes, there were C compilers back then. They were nowhere near as sophisticated as today's compilers, though. In fact, I think when you bought the IBM PC, you could buy a development kit that included C compilers and all that.

"//" style comments didn't make it in ANSI C until C99 (although most compilers accepted them before then). ANSI C didn't come into play until 1989 (aka C89), so the code that Cameron wrote would NOT look like what she wrote - K&R is distinctly different.

The code we're talking about was getToken() that Cameron wrote on her Zenith computer. In fact, compilers of back then were often limiting identifiers to 8 characters or less.

As for Apple, yes, they were really successful. The Apple II, II+, IIe, etc. were wildly successful computers (1977, 1979, 1983), so back then, Apple was flush with cash.

A little history. I believe the original C compilers were quite a bear to use - prior to hard drives, when you wrote your code, you then invoked the compiler. The compiler ground for minutes loading stuff off disk, your source code, then running it through the compilation process. The compiler was too big to fit on a floppy disk, and midway through, you had to eject the disk, swap it with the second stage compiler, and resume the compiling process. Then you had to swap disks again to run the linker and finally you had a binary. (You had to have two floppy drives - your code was on the second drive, the compiler parts and DOS used the first floppy drive).

This was such a pain. Back in 1983, a little upstart called Borland released Turbo Pascal. What made it "Turbo" was that it provided an editor, compiler and linker on *one* disk, and compiled in RAM. When you finished coding and hit compile, it would take the code, run the compiler on the code and store the object code in RAM. It then linked the code in RAM (pascal at the time made it really easy to do a single-pass compilation). This made the Borland tools MUCH faster - "lines/sec" was proudly displayed during compilation, but the need to not swap floppies and suspend/resume compiling meant you were running in under a minute, versus ten minutes or more.

Turbo C accomplished similar things as well, but this was back in 1989 or so.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #233
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
Whatever happen to all the Infocom games? They were fun. Can they be download from somewhere. Don't think anyone own them anymore.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #234
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

here you go.requires Java http://pot.home.xs4all.nl/infocom/
Old 07-09-2014, 09:54 AM   #235
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I was kind of whizzing thru it and then suddenly there is Gordon soaking wet in a parking lot looking at a dead person.

Actually a lot of the show was like this - Head guy looking at billboard and changing appearance. Cameron looking frustrated and sulky then looking high. Gordon soaking wet and finding dead person. Head guy at home with Gordon's wife playing with kids the way Gordon should have been. Wife eating grapefruit with other guy because for women in the 80's there was the grapefruit diet.

Was there something about coding in there? I don't know. The drama is supposed to hold me since I know nothing of coding. It is failing. Yet, I don't have much else on my TiVo to watch so I keep going.
There a lot of "karma" going on the dead person who was electrocuted was the same person who sold Gordon the empty box for $80.00 so he could buy a Cabbage Patch doll for his kid. The entire episode was a game of "Adventure".

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:02 AM   #236
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
There a lot of "karma" going on the dead person who was electrocuted was the same person who sold Gordon the empty box for $80.00 so he could buy a Cabbage Patch doll for his kid. The entire episode was a game of "Adventure".
I thought the electrocuted person was a woman.

Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #237
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
here you go.requires Java http://pot.home.xs4all.nl/infocom/
I installed Frotz on my ipad and play my old Infocom favorites that way.

(A few weeks ago someone mentioned HHGTTG, and I mentioned that I could play through the entire game in 15 minutes since I remembered the steps. Indeed, fired up Frotz and gave him a demo)
kaszeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #238
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I thought the electrocuted person was a woman.

It was. He's hallucinating....

XL4
Old 07-09-2014, 01:51 PM   #239
voripteth
User Advocate

Cameron's suggestion of having the computer ask the user what they wanted to do gave me flashbacks to Clippy the paperclip from Office.
voripteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:19 PM   #240
zalusky

I remember in the 70s interacting with a program called Eliza. at the University of Minnesota. There was also a primitive talk program allowing multi user chatting. We had a lot of fun when we connected the two up and essentially had a virtual chatter. Many live people did not know they were talking to a phony person.