TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #1
Peter000
Registered User
 
Peter000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Red Wing, MN
Posts: 17,807
The Flash Trailer

Looks pretty good!

The Flash

Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
brettatk
If I Only Knew
 
brettatk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Smyrna, GA
Posts: 10,039
Saw this a little earlier on FB. Looking forward to it!
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
cheesesteak
Meh.
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: 15 mins from Philly
Posts: 25,309
Cool. The only thing I don't like is that I have to wait until fall.
__________________

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:41 PM   #4
brettatk
If I Only Knew
 
brettatk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Smyrna, GA
Posts: 10,039
Curious about something. The CW has had to use show names like Smallville and The Arrow, so why are they able to use The Flash?
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
BrettStah
Registered User
 
BrettStah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 15,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post
Curious about something. The CW has had to use show names like Smallville and The Arrow, so why are they able to use The Flash?
I'm not sure that they HAD to use show names like you listed - I think they wanted to. I don't know the contract details but I thought Warner Bros. owned the TV rights to most/all DC characters, and I think they own or co-own the CW.
__________________
Brett

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:14 PM   #6
Azlen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 1,916
The only thing I am concerned about is we will probably get a few freak of the week episodes to start out. The other meta-humans that were affected that night sounds too similar to Smallville's meteor freaks.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:17 PM   #7
Ereth
Registered User
 
Ereth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 35,989
That was a really cool trailer, and much longer than I expected. I'm happy to see Oliver Queen guest starring, since they set this up over in Arrow. Looking forward to it.

Also, loved the Ferris Air reference early on.
__________________
Remember "Just Alley"? Re-read it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:19 PM   #8
brettatk
If I Only Knew
 
brettatk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Smyrna, GA
Posts: 10,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post
I'm not sure that they HAD to use show names like you listed - I think they wanted to. I don't know the contract details but I thought Warner Bros. owned the TV rights to most/all DC characters, and I think they own or co-own the CW.
I see. I guess I always thought they couldn't use the names Superboy/Superman or the Green Arrow in the show title or in the shows at all.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #9
jamesl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 328
had such low expectations for this
but it actually looks GOOD

he still looks too young to be an experienced police scientist, but they've got the look/animation/special effects down nice in the preview

I don't know how much people know about the flash comic book or the animated series or the animated movies, so I won't give anything away, but I was pretty surprised and excited seeing the yellow ball of lightning in the beginning (and that's all I'll say about that)

anyone interested should order this dvd from amazon

jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #10
caslu
Registered User
 
caslu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 545
Looks fantastic... also loved the teaser with Green Arrow from last night's Arrow finale.
caslu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:41 PM   #11
bobcarn
Birthday Hug Monkey
 
bobcarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Trenton, NJ, USA
Posts: 15,463
The trailer looked better than I had thought it would be. I think the costume is a bit 'meh' though, considering Arrow's looks pretty cool. And the actor doesn't physically seem like what I'd expect Barry Allen to look like. Dark hair, young, a little on the small side. But besides those things....

the story arcs they're hinting at are really nice. Eobard's killing of his mom (complete with yellow uniform) suggesting a long-term story arc, nice special effects, classic Flash rogues. I'm psyched. My biggest disappointment is having to wait until Fall to watch it.
__________________
"This moment may be brief, but it can be so bright."
bobcarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:06 PM   #12
Peter000
Registered User
 
Peter000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Red Wing, MN
Posts: 17,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
The only thing I am concerned about is we will probably get a few freak of the week episodes to start out. The other meta-humans that were affected that night sounds too similar to Smallville's meteor freaks.

I don't understand why you would expect anything else. That's what most superhero stories deal with, fighting super villains.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:35 PM   #13
Azlen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
I don't understand why you would expect anything else. That's what most superhero stories deal with, fighting super villains.
There's a difference though between classic super villains and freak of the week stories where every villain has the same origin but it results in a wide variety of powers and they rise up sequentially rather than all at the same time.
I don't know if that is what is going to happen but we'll see.
Arrow doesn't have the bad guy of the week but instead has much longer arcs and I hope the Flash mimics that rather than early Smallville.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:51 PM   #14
TonyD79
Registered User
 
TonyD79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 4,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
There's a difference though between classic super villains and freak of the week stories where every villain has the same origin but it results in a wide variety of powers and they rise up sequentially rather than all at the same time.
I don't know if that is what is going to happen but we'll see.
Arrow doesn't have the bad guy of the week but instead has much longer arcs and I hope the Flash mimics that rather than early Smallville.
Not sure why the origin matters that much if the character is good.

I never understood any distaste for the freak of the week in Smallville. As stated before, that is pretty much what comic books and superheroes are about.
__________________
Tony D
TonyD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:55 PM   #15
smak
TV MA SLV
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: NoHo, CA USA
Posts: 15,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post
Curious about something. The CW has had to use show names like Smallville and The Arrow, so why are they able to use The Flash?
I think they just used the best title.

There really is no other title for Smallville, since he's not Superboy/man in the show.

Starling City is too unknown and Arrow is a cooler show title than Green Arrow.

And Central City would never be used instead of Flash.

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:49 PM   #16
Philosofy
Super Duper Member
 
Philosofy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Crown Point, IN USA
Posts: 6,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
Looks pretty good!

The Flash
I can't play this on my iPad. It must have Flash.
__________________
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned."
Philosofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:00 PM   #17
Azlen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Not sure why the origin matters that much if the character is good.

I never understood any distaste for the freak of the week in Smallville. As stated before, that is pretty much what comic books and superheroes are about.
It's not the freak part that's distasteful, it's the 'of the week' part that is. You typically can't build a great character if they are only around for a week.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:33 PM   #18
ProjectZero
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 503
You can view the trailer on an iPad (well-- it worked on my iPad3 in Safari) by using the desktop link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj0l7iGKh8g&app=desktop
ProjectZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:36 PM   #19
vertigo235
Registered User
 
vertigo235's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 12,829
Looks great, I'm excited for it.
__________________
vertigo235 xbox live and PSN ID = IamVertigo


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:32 PM   #20
TonyD79
Registered User
 
TonyD79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 4,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
It's not the freak part that's distasteful, it's the 'of the week' part that is. You typically can't build a great character if they are only around for a week.
Sure you can. You can build a great character in a movie, which is standalone. You can build a great character in a short story. You can build a great character in a 20 minute short. Of course you can in a one hour show.
__________________
Tony D
TonyD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:32 PM   #21
TonyD79
Registered User
 
TonyD79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 4,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post
I think they just used the best title. There really is no other title for Smallville, since he's not Superboy/man in the show. Starling City is too unknown and Arrow is a cooler show title than Green Arrow. And Central City would never be used instead of Flash. -smak-
And "The Blur" was already taken.
__________________
Tony D
TonyD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:19 PM   #22
bobcarn
Birthday Hug Monkey
 
bobcarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Trenton, NJ, USA
Posts: 15,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosofy View Post
I can't play this on my iPad. It must have Flash.
One of my favorite error messages was when I tried to play something from the DC website, and I didn't have an updated flash player. It showed this...


__________________
"This moment may be brief, but it can be so bright."
bobcarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #23
bobcarn
Birthday Hug Monkey
 
bobcarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Trenton, NJ, USA
Posts: 15,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
And "The Blur" was already taken.
"The red/blue blur" for a long time.
__________________
"This moment may be brief, but it can be so bright."
bobcarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #24
bobcarn
Birthday Hug Monkey
 
bobcarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Trenton, NJ, USA
Posts: 15,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
It's not the freak part that's distasteful, it's the 'of the week' part that is. You typically can't build a great character if they are only around for a week.
There was also the issue that as soon as someone would get a superpower from the kryptonite, they'd instantly turn into a villain.
__________________
"This moment may be brief, but it can be so bright."
bobcarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:53 PM   #25
Philosofy
Super Duper Member
 
Philosofy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Crown Point, IN USA
Posts: 6,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectZero View Post
You can view the trailer on an iPad (well-- it worked on my iPad3 in Safari) by using the desktop link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj0l7iGKh8g&app=desktop
It's strange. The original post showed an orange box, but my quote plays just fine.
__________________
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned."
Philosofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:07 PM   #26
Michael S
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 358
On Supernatural this week they flashed the Flash logo before they came back from a commercial break and first thing Dean saids is "What hell was that?" I thought that was amusing.
Michael S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:11 PM   #27
Azlen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Sure you can. You can build a great character in a movie, which is standalone. You can build a great character in a short story. You can build a great character in a 20 minute short. Of course you can in a one hour show.
You can and they'll occasionally pull it off for an episode or two. Much much more difficult to do it over a 22 episode season. Heck, some writers struggle with character development with a character that's in every episode.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:14 PM   #28
TonyD79
Registered User
 
TonyD79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 4,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
You can and they'll occasionally pull it off for an episode or two. Much much more difficult to do it over a 22 episode season. Heck, some writers struggle with character development with a character that's in every episode.
And yet, again. It's a comic book. That's how comics work. Villain of the month.
__________________
Tony D
TonyD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:23 PM   #29
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,422
I'm in....
__________________
"You don't know Bierboy like I know Bierboy. He became a lot more amusing after I figured out his sense of humor..." -- Rob Helmerichs

XL4
Bierboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:49 PM   #30
Azlen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
And yet, again. It's a comic book. That's how comics work. Villain of the month.
And here I was thinking it was a TV show based on a comic book.

I much prefer longer story arcs. Thankfully that can be done in both television and comic books.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |