TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-10-2014, 09:03 AM   #1
Osin

Base Roamio + Mini on Fios, need MOCA adapter?

I'm looking to buy a base model Roamio and one Mini. I'll have them set up on fios, which I understand creates a MOCA network.

Can I simply plug the coax from the wall to the Mini, and just use ethernet straight from the MOCA router to the Roamio? Or do I need also need to attach the coax to the Roamio via a MOCA adapter?
Osin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
tarheelblue32

You shouldn't need a MoCA adapter as long as you have the Roamio connected to the router via ethernet cable. You would only need the adapter for the Roamio if it was in a location that made the ethernet connection impossible.
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:21 PM   #3
BigJimOutlaw

The Mini will work with just a coax connection.

Your Roamio will need a coax connection to get TV service. But you can choose whether you want the basic Roamio to use ethernet or a moca adapter to get its network connection. Either will work.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #4
truman861

Osin,
I dont believe you can set up the moca network on a base roamio. The way to tell is to go to your network settings. If you can do it, it will give you the option there to create a moca network, but i believe you need a moca adapter, thats why I went for the plus.

Truman861
--------------------------------------------------------
Roamio Plus (Master)
3 Tivo Mini's (living room and kids rooms)
3 x Premiers (2 sold, 1 retired)
Tivo series 3 HD (sold)
Tivo series 2 with PLS (retired)
MoCA
CC: Cisco PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
T.W. Brighthouse Tampabay - Moving to Verizon Fios
truman861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:51 PM   #5
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by truman861 View Post
Osin,
I dont believe you can set up the moca network on a base roamio. The way to tell is to go to your network settings. If you can do it, it will give you the option there to create a moca network, but i believe you need a moca adapter, thats why I went for the plus.
If he weren't on FIOS, that would be true. But I think the FIOS router with its built-in MoCA will bridge the connection for him without the need for an extra MoCA adapter.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 04-10-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:37 PM   #6
truman861

good point Tarheelblue, Osin - depends on if you have a moca network setup from your fios router. If it is an actiontec Mi424wr then it should have it, if you have an older westell router then probably not
Old 04-11-2014, 04:25 PM   #7
Osin

I just moved, so I'll be getting all new Fios equipment next week, and don't see why I wouldn't get the latest router.

I'll try the ethernet to Roamio and coax to mini configuration without the bridge. Worse case, I'll have to pick it up after the fact. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:41 AM   #8
Osin

Fios installed today, Roamio & Mini getting delivered on Thursday. Will update after I set it all up.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:33 PM   #9
truman861

I just realized, the mini will work and the wifi on the roamio should connect in order to get programing info but if you dont have a moca adapter connected to the roamio basic or if you dont have an ethernet cord - then the netflix and even maybe the streaming to the mini is not going to work. Would be different if it was a roamio plus or pro as they have built in moca but without it, your going to run into problems - even with the verizon router thats running moca.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:36 PM   #10
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by truman861 View Post
I just realized, the mini will work and the wifi on the roamio should connect in order to get programing info but if you dont have a moca adapter connected to the roamio basic or if you dont have an ethernet cord - then the netflix and even maybe the streaming to the mini is not going to work. Would be different if it was a roamio plus or pro as they have built in moca but without it, your going to run into problems - even with the verizon router thats running moca.
He's connecting the Roamio directly to the FIOS router with an ethernet cable. It should be fine.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:13 PM   #11
truman861

ok, yes that setup will work and both roamio and mini will be fine
Old 04-15-2014, 09:05 PM   #12
wrwhite76

I just had this same senerio with my fios. But I didn't have my Roamio in my office where my fios router is so I had to get a moca adapter for my bedroom. Just plugged in the moca to the Roamio and worked great. Also works great with my 2 minis. Before the moca it sucked without Ethernet plugged in trying to use wifi.
wrwhite76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #13
aaronwt
HD Addict

You need a robust WiFi network to use wireless with the Roamio. My Roamio Basic works the same over Wifi as over a wired connection. They both max out at around 93Mbps throughput. Whether streaming to concurrently to several TiVos or to TiVo Desktop, the Basic works very well over wireless in my setup.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:20 PM   #14
Osin

The Fios setup works perfectly. Plugged the TiVos in right out of the box, set them up using the on screen guide, and the Mini connected right up to the Roamio.

Base Roamio plugged into Fios router, and Mini to coax. Fios router takes care of the MOCA network, no adapter required. Hope this can help some people out!

Last edited by Osin : 04-20-2014 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #15
truman861

good deal Osin, glad to hear it, thanks for the update
Old 05-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #16
phositadc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osin View Post
The Fios setup works perfectly. Plugged the TiVos in right out of the box, set them up using the on screen guide, and the Mini connected right up to the Roamio.

Base Roamio plugged into Fios router, and Mini to coax. Fios router takes care of the MOCA network, no adapter required. Hope this can help some people out!
Excellent. I plan to use this exact setup and had exactly the same question. Good to know the base Roamio can use ethernet and the Mini can use coax because the FIOS router already creates the moca network.
phositadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #17
truman861

Quote:
Originally Posted by phositadc View Post
Excellent. I plan to use this exact setup and had exactly the same question. Good to know the base Roamio can use ethernet and the Mini can use coax because the FIOS router already creates the moca network.
That's perfect for a base Roamio. The plus and the pro however don't need to be Ethernet wired as they have buit in Moca as well.