Not really. Maybe the ones you watch.

I watched this past season:
The Middle
Modern Family
Brooklyn 99
Community (now gone)
The Big Bang Theory
The Goldbergs

Among others. While there might be a little subtle sex talk, none of these shows could be considered ALL SEX. Maybe Two And a Half Men or Mike and Molly is, but I don't watch those. I agree, stupid.

On the other hand, on Cable I have watched:
The League
Playing House
Silicon Valley
Sirens
The Stephen Merchant HBO show (the name escapes me)

These shows ALL have a LOT more sex than the shows I mentioned, overtly shown, with strong language, and either nudity or semi-nudity. I'm no prude and I have enjoyed these shows, but I think they are a lot easier to write without the restrictions. I don't think ANY of them are funnier than any of the sitcoms I watch on network TV.
You're separating it into network vs. non-network and working it only into the shows that work to prove your point.

For example, 2 Broke Girls, Mike & Molly and Mixology had as much sex as anything I can think of. How I Met Your Mother wasn't far off. On the flip side, Community and Modern Family would have minimal sex and were generally thought of as fairly brilliant.

Now, look at shows like Louie or Wilfred or Veep and if there's a sex discussion it's just a side joke or something, not a CBS show saying, "Hey, we can't think of a joke for Kat Dennings, let's just write something about how she was a whore when she was growing up broke."

So I'm sorry, there may be more language in cable shows, but not by much (I don't know that I've ever seen a blatant anal joke on a cable sitcom like I did on 2 Broke Girls). But I just don't buy that there's more sex on cable sitcoms, especially when looking at the lowest common denominator shows.

I get what Cosby's saying about writing clean, but that doesn't mean network television shows are clean.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sparty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:54 PM   #62
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post
You're separating it into network vs. non-network and working it only into the shows that work to prove your point.

For example, 2 Broke Girls, Mike & Molly and Mixology had as much sex as anything I can think of. How I Met Your Mother wasn't far off. On the flip side, Community and Modern Family would have minimal sex and were generally thought of as fairly brilliant.

Now, look at shows like Louie or Wilfred or Veep and if there's a sex discussion it's just a side joke or something, not a CBS show saying, "Hey, we can't think of a joke for Kat Dennings, let's just write something about how she was a whore when she was growing up broke."

So I'm sorry, there may be more language in cable shows, but not by much (I don't know that I've ever seen a blatant anal joke on a cable sitcom like I did on 2 Broke Girls). But I just don't buy that there's more sex on cable sitcoms, especially when looking at the lowest common denominator shows.

I get what Cosby's saying about writing clean, but that doesn't mean network television shows are clean.
I named 6 shows on network TV that's non-sexual, you names three, yet you said that the AVERAGE network sitcom is ALL sex. I'm just trying to say your completely wrong, that it's no better than your average CABLE sitcom, only without the language and (semi) nudity.

The quality of the sitcoms I've mentioned are at least on par with those that you mentioned if not better.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:42 PM   #63
Howie
Out of Pocket

Oh, U2 guys go back to the baseball thread and argue.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:45 PM   #64
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post
Oh, U2 guys go back to the baseball thread and argue.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:01 PM   #65
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post
Two and a Half Men was so atrocious one of the actors railed against it
No, an actor who turned into a religious wacko rallied against it for religious reasons.

(Don't get me wrong, I agree that 2.5 Men & Two Broke Girls are the "dirtiest" shows on regular TV.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:09 PM   #66
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Although this should be viewed with a highly skeptical eye. The story was originally broken by Deadline, which seems to author a story like this every time a Sony-owned show gets canceled. Seems every single time, Sony is "in talks" with someone to revive the canceled show, but surprisingly, the talks never go anywhere.

So unless I hear otherwise from a more reputable source, I'm going to assume this is more of the same.
I'll certainly stop short of assuming a deal will get done, but in this case I see no reason to assume that it's not being discussed with some level of commitment. On Sony's side of it, they'd surely like to get another batch of episodes to sweeten their syndication deals for the show. And on Hulu's side of it, I'd bet they are pondering their future, and concluding that they may need to start offering original programming, like Netflix and Amazon have done before them. What better way to dip your toe in that water than buying an established show with a loyal audience?
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:31 AM   #67
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
I'll certainly stop short of assuming a deal will get done, but in this case I see no reason to assume that it's not being discussed with some level of commitment. On Sony's side of it, they'd surely like to get another batch of episodes to sweeten their syndication deals for the show. And on Hulu's side of it, I'd bet they are pondering their future, and concluding that they may need to start offering original programming, like Netflix and Amazon have done before them. What better way to dip your toe in that water than buying an established show with a loyal audience?
Hulu already has some original programming, and they're certainly looking for more.

And Hulu already owns the online replay rights for all the other episodes of Community, and supposedly it's one of their most-watched offerings. So the thought process is that if Sony is willing to give them a good enough deal, Hulu could make a big splash if they can offer additional original episodes, just like Netflix did when it had new episodes of Arrested Development. Let's just hope that if this Hulu deal does happen, the new episodes turn out better than the new episodes of AD did.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:02 AM   #68
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Hulu already has some original programming, and they're certainly looking for more.
Thanks. After I posted, I started thinking they already did, but I didn't get around to checking. (I don't use Hulu, obviously.)
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote