TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-07-2014, 06:50 AM   #1
DouglasPHill

Does anyone else do this?

In past years I would pretty well watch a show not long after it aired. I bought a farm last summer so now I hardly watch anything. Some shows, like Nashville I usually stay caught up. But others, I am saving. For instance I have not watched any of the Kevin Bacon show, nor Dallas.

My thought is sometime this winter I won't be able to do chores so I can have marathons. (or maybe my DVR will crash and I'll lose all those shows) By not watching shows until some time in the future, I pretty much don't bother with the threads for the show.
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:56 AM   #2
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I think once you make the decision to binge watch a show, you have made the decision to not participate in the show threads. For certain shows, I really want to participate, for others, it doesn't matter.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:01 AM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Sure. I record many shows. More than I can keep up with. Any show that I want to see, but is not a "must watch now", gets transferred to my computer for long term storage.
When I get time, I'll watch them marathon style.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #4
Alfer
WOOSAH!

We usually watch the shows we record the same night they are recorded..at most we might wait 1-2 days. Note that we don't follow a bunch of shows though. I know some folks here practically dedicate their whole lives to TV shows...I've seen some list of more than a dozen shows they record/watch regularly.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:38 AM   #5
MikeMar
Go Pats

We binge watch most dramas and stuff like that. Less cliffhangers from week-to-week and easier to keep track of the character (Game of Thrones)

But comedies and stuff like that (wife watches the Voice) we watch that night or really soon after

MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:43 AM   #6
allan
I survived the Mayan

I watch my shows within a week of recording. Usually the same evening. If I've got more than a few unwatched eps piled up, odds are I won't get to them at all.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:56 AM   #7
mr.unnatural

I watch most shows within a few days after recording whenever possible, just to keep from getting backlogged. Some shows, like 24, I may save up and binge watch to keep the continuity fresh in my mind. I tend to forget where I left off with some shows if too much time has elapsed or I've watched a lot of other shows between episodes.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:13 AM   #8
astrohip
Stuart F

I try to watch every show I record as soon as possible. With modest exceptions, I only record shows I follow. If I get backed up, I just do my best to catch up. It's rare that I fall more than a week behind, and that would only be if I'm on vacation or something. And now that so much is available online, I can usually watch a show or two on the road, as long as I can get Internet.

If I fall too far behind on a series, I either binge to catch up, or decide there's a reason I've fallen behind, and SP *poof*. And by too far, I mean 3-4 eps. If I have more than that saved, it's goodbye charlie.

When I'm a few days behind, I tend to watch sitcoms first. Shorter, easier to watch, whack a few off the list. Then I get to the dramas. I usually watch the more discussed dramas first, then the rest. Mainly so I can keep up with online discussions.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #9
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I think once you make the decision to binge watch a show, you have made the decision to not participate in the show threads. For certain shows, I really want to participate, for others, it doesn't matter.
Pretty much this.

I have three shows that I have been 'saving'. Recording all the episodes to binge watch this summer.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #10
JoeA90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
We binge watch most dramas and stuff like that. Less cliffhangers from week-to-week and easier to keep track of the character (Game of Thrones)

But comedies and stuff like that (wife watches the Voice) we watch that night or really soon after
I do the same thing. I have a few comedies I watch weekly (mainly Modern Family and Parks & Recreation) along with Game of Thrones. But everything else kinda gets saved up for a long weekend or a sick day when I can just be in bed all day. I don't watch tooo many shows regularly, but I tend to record some of interest just in case I need to change it up a little.
JoeA90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #11
sharkster

For two reasons, I couldn't do it - 1) My Tivos are just 320gb Premieres so they couldn't hold that many episodes in HD; and, even more importantly, 2) I could not handle the clutter. I start getting anxious if either or both Tivos are sitting at 25% space used.

I actually have a lot of time on my hands, but I can barely handle the 225 Season Passes, between two Tivos, that I have. Of course, all shows are not running at the same time. But there is always plenty to watch and I feel most comfortable when each unit has less than 20% used.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:45 PM   #12
astrohip
Stuart F

Coincidental timing. Ken Levine's blog today is on shows on your DVR you know you're never gonna watch...

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2014/0...ver-watch.html
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:50 PM   #13
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I watch most shows within a few days after recording whenever possible, just to keep from getting backlogged. Some shows, like 24, I may save up and binge watch to keep the continuity fresh in my mind. I tend to forget where I left off with some shows if too much time has elapsed or I've watched a lot of other shows between episodes.
That's what I do. Sports gets in the way sometimes. We generally don't go out Saturday night, so that's usually our catch up night. I am thinking I might want to binge the new 24. First of all, it's hard to find 2 straight hours to watch something these days, so I might take a rainy weekend and watch the whole thing in one shot. Second, the show lends itself to binging.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #14
gweempose

Quote:

I've been catching up on so many other shows that I haven't even started this season of Survivor yet. I miss being able to participate in those threads a lot. I'm going to try to catch up on them all before the finale.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:59 PM   #15
brettatk
If I Only Knew

I have a few shows that I let build up to 7+ episodes or so before I'll watch them. Or I'll save them to when shows are in reruns and I've watched everything else. If it's a show I follow I'll usually watch it within a week. There's only a couple of shows that I'll watch the same night they record.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #16
NashvilleKat
Retired Old Fart

I edit the commercials from all the shows we watch then put them on NAS for binge watching. We don't watch nearly as much TV since retirement as we use to so I don't think we'll ever get caught up.
NashvilleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:04 PM   #17
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

I like keeping my Now Playing list as clean as possible- just like my email inbox

If it is a show only I watch I usually see it within one day, usually real time with just enough buffer for me to skip commercials.
If it is a "both of us" show we usually see it within 3-4 days of it airing.
If it is something only the husband watches it may take him two weeks to get to it as he doesn't have as much time as he thinks he has plus baseball is always horning in one way or another.

I do enjoy binging but only if the entire run is available on Netfix/Amazon/DVD.
I don't like binging the first two or three seasons and then having to wait for the regular season- I'd sooner wait until it's all over so I can watch in one big binge.
But spoilers don't bother me at all- for instance I read Game of Thrones threads but am saving actually watching it for whenever it's all done.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:26 PM   #18
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleKat View Post
I edit the commercials from all the shows we watch then put them on NAS for binge watching. We don't watch nearly as much TV since retirement as we use to so I don't think we'll ever get caught up.
Do you have something that edits the commercials out automatically? If I had to manually do that, I might as well just watch the show at that point.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #19
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Yes, ever since my 1st tivo back in 2000
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #20
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Between vacation and a trial that kept me from watching much TV, and just general life busyness, our DVR - which holds 100 hours of HD programming, is hovering around 5% empty space right now, and it's kind of freaking me out, because I like a "clean bowl".

I have the whole seasons of one show (Agents of Shield) that I've never got around to watching (watched the pilot, but wasn't wowed), and most of the seasons of a few other shows, but the main culprit is a season and a half of Grey's Anatomy that my wife insists we will get around to watching (doubtful).

Thankfully, most of the shows are ending in the next week or so, so I'll have all summer to make some dents. But I'm probably going to have to cut out a few SPs.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #21
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
You can participate - as you catch up - but you'll be awful alone.

I've read and posted in old threads my future time and we've had discussions be rekindled.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:53 PM   #22
NashvilleKat
Retired Old Fart

Quote:
Do you have something that edits the commercials out automatically? If I had to manually do that, I might as well just watch the show at that point.
I use VideReDo and it doesn't take very long. I don't try to get ultra precise. If I leave 5 seconds at the beginning and end of a commercial break, it is good enough for me.
NashvilleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:57 PM   #23
WhiskeyTango

I realized I can only keep up with about 15-20 shows at a time. Everything else keeps recording until I finish one show, then I pick from the saved shows as a replacement. I have probably 30 shows, full seasons to date, that I haven't even started watching yet. Now that shows are starting to end, I can start up watching my saved shows and hopefully put a dent in that back up. I've pretty much given up following the threads in the Now Playing section unless I hit an episode where something didn't make sense to me. Then I will see what others had to say about it to get some clarification.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:25 AM   #24
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleKat View Post
I use VideReDo and it doesn't take very long. I don't try to get ultra precise. If I leave 5 seconds at the beginning and end of a commercial break, it is good enough for me.
I record my shows via Windows Media Center and use a commercial skipping app called ShowAnalyzer. It maps all of the commercial breaks so all I have to do is hit the right arrow key on my remote and it jumps past the commercial to the start of the next show segment. It's not 100% effective, but it works fairly well most of the time. For any commercials that don't get mapped properly I can either FF through it or use the 30-second skip.

One nice feature is that it generates a .vprj file that I believe can be imported into VideoReDo (I haven't actually tried it yet). Apparently, all I have to do is open the video file, import the project file (i.e., .vprj file), and save it to the format of my choice and it will automatically clip out the commercials. However, if I really want a commercial-free file with minimal effort I just download the HD torrent file. The commercials are already edited out for me and the compression is almost negligible with regards to picture quality.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:39 AM   #25
jilter
Happy to be here.

Very interesting thread.

It is agitating to me that Comcast's On Demand
forces us to watch commercials. It did not used to be that way, so I think that is why it bothers me to the degree that it does. After all, we are already paying a subscription fee to Comcast.
Having saiid that, I have to admit like in all things, I am a hoarder.
It is real bad on the larger capacity DVRs where there are shows from a couple years ago. I alwsys think I will sit and binge, but in reality it never comes to be.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:41 PM   #26
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
You can participate - as you catch up - but you'll be awful alone.

I've read and posted in old threads my future time and we've had discussions be rekindled.
If someone posted to an old thread with some specific question, I probably couldn't remember the answer. Only old thread that gets rekindled that I actively participate (at least that I could recall) is for the Lost finale.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:46 PM   #27
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilter View Post
Very interesting thread.

It is agitating to me that Comcast's On Demand
forces us to watch commercials. It did not used to be that way, so I think that is why it bothers me to the degree that it does. After all, we are already paying a subscription fee to Comcast.
Having saiid that, I have to admit like in all things, I am a hoarder.
It is real bad on the larger capacity DVRs where there are shows from a couple years ago. I alwsys think I will sit and binge, but in reality it never comes to be.
We used to watch DirecTV's On Demand all the time, but they now have about as many commercials during them that are unskippable as they do during the original broadcast (where I COULD skip commercials). Not only that, but they used to offer most shows On Demand in HD. Now they don't. So not only do I have to watch commercials, but the quality is terrible. So I only use it as a last resort. On Plex, you can add the Network channels and then watch the shows over Roku in an On Demand format, but interestingly they don't show commercials and it's in HD. CBS seems to have their shows up fairly quickly after original air date, ABC doesn't. So it's a crapshoot.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:57 PM   #28
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Sure. I record many shows. More than I can keep up with. Any show that I want to see, but is not a "must watch now", gets transferred to my computer for long term storage.
Yes, this is what I do, though last summer, I ended up killing an external drive (all my fault). I think it was MOSTLY music shows and such, not main network shows I hadn't watched yet, so feel less bad than I would have otherwise.

Now I've got a 4 TB drive with a couple TB of shows on it... When the finales all hit, then I start eating into that and have new stuff all summer (plus of course some new shows that air during the summer, but there are far fewer that I care about).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote