TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #1
NashvilleKat
Retired Old Fart

Catch a Contractor with Adam Carolla starts tonight

This show (on Spike TV) really sounds like it could be awful. What I've heard is the show tries to coerce contractors to fix jobs they've previously botched. I'm going to give it a chance just because I live in an old neighborhood with lot of home remodeling going on so it might be interesting.
NashvilleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:33 PM   #2
smbaker

Season pass added!
smbaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
billboard_NE
North Shore MA

I'm in.
billboard_NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
pmyers

I love Adam, but I get nervous anytime I hear SpikeTV.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #5
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

They probably have to go meta and catch themselves.

Couple in promo video for "Catch a contractor" suing the show. What for? You guessed it! "Bad contracting."

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/calif...ry?id=22704548

Catch promo

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:04 PM   #6
Jim_TV

I like Adam Carolla so I'll give this a chance.
Jim_TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:03 PM   #7
knuckles
Watch This Baby!

I like Adam, but I don't think this will be a hit.
knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:33 AM   #8
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Definitely recording this, but it won't be a hit. Spike is too obscure and there hasn't been enough promotion.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #9
doom1701
I blue myself!

Saw a promo for this the other day...it totally wreaks of "Adam Carolla needs a paycheck".
Old 03-10-2014, 09:32 AM   #10
JohnB1000

I don't think he needs a paycheck.

From listening to his show I get the feeling that he just wants to be on TV. He's tried a number of pilots for sitcoms and some other stuff. He really didn't have to do much for this show. I watched some, it looks good if you like that kind of show (I don't usually watch) but probably needed to be on a channel with other similar style shows.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #11
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

He did a show some time back where he remodeled his old house to sell, so he does have a background in construction. I think he just thought it would be amusing to shame bad contractors.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:56 AM   #12
pmyers

Yes, Adam was a contractor for many years.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:57 AM   #13
Big Deficit
Happy now?

My read? Adam watched some of Holmes stuff and figured he could do a similar show with a couple of his friends on a SpikeTV budget. The detective part is plainly silly as is the whole confrontation aspect that requires the permission of the "evil" contractor. How someone expects a $70-$100k kitchen and bath remodel for $32k AND pays the whole $32k upfront is another issue. Hopefully, a few people who got screwed over will get some relief before this one ends. It won't surprise me at all if we see stories of shoddy workmanship and/or the show taking back appliances and fixtures by the show.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:03 AM   #14
JohnB1000

What I learned/confirmed with this show is how much "at the mercy" of contractors we are unless we are very knowledgeable. The whole discussion about pressure treated wood and when you should use it ? Who would have known.

A few years ago I paid an electrical contractor to put some outlets in. I just had some new work done and the new guy showed me, with pictures and explanations, what a crappy job the previous one did - in the wall. I had no practical way of knowing that.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:16 PM   #15
knuckles
Watch This Baby!

I don't see this lasting. Adam has been bitching about this show on his podcast for weeks. I do think he is ALWAYS looking for a paycheck, but then doesn't put in the required effort to make the show a success because he has too many plates spinning at the same time.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #16
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1701 View Post
Saw a promo for this the other day...it totally wreaks of "Adam Carolla needs a paycheck".
I don't think this show was Adam's idea. I think he was approached to do the show and agreed, but this wasn't something he came up with and pitched. He was simply the talent they got. If you listen to him talk about this show on his podcast, it's clear he had very little to do with the production and was clearly frustrated with some of the decisions made by the producers. If he were one of the producers that had any kind of decision-making power, he wouldn't be able to make those complaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
He did a show some time back where he remodeled his old house to sell, so he does have a background in construction. I think he just thought it would be amusing to shame bad contractors.
He was a contractor for years before he got his break in show biz, and he still does a weekly podcast on home improvement tips and tricks (Ace on the House).

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckles View Post
I don't see this lasting. Adam has been bitching about this show on his podcast for weeks. I do think he is ALWAYS looking for a paycheck, but then doesn't put in the required effort to make the show a success because he has too many plates spinning at the same time.
As I said above, I don't think Adam's part in this show was anything more than the talent that shows up and does his required work and then goes home. Could the show be better if he were more involved? Absolutely. But it's not his show, so he doesn't just get to take over the production simply because he thinks he can do a better job.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:11 PM   #17
mattack

Quote:
I suspect you don't listen to his podcast.

Sure, he seems like he's a workaholic in the Ryan Seacrest mold, but he seems to do it because he likes doing it.

He's talked about this show for a long time, and he has ANOTHER podcast (which I don't listen to), where he apparently talks about JUST building stuff. (His old friend from that shows up on his main podcast once in a while too.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:43 PM   #18
smbaker

I watched the first episode and was not impressed. The whole thing felt a little bit fake to me, so much so that I question if the contractor was a real contractor or an actor. I'm leaning toward actor.

The premise meanders a bit, it's both a 'catch a bad guy' show and some kind of 'home improvement' show where they're going to fix up the house themselves.

It was never clear to me what the contractor was responsible for. Was it the entire house (which Adam's crew fixed up) or was it just the bathroom remodel?

I got the feeling that the homeowners were in some way partially at fault for the condition of the house.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:52 PM   #19
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

It's definitely rushed to get through what they're trying to cover in a 30-minute show.
1. Showing the house in crappy condition and having the homeowners explain what they expected the contractor to do.
2. Have the PI lady locate the contractor and set up a sting
3. Show the sting with Adam and Skip confronting the contractor
4. Have the family that was taken advantage of confront the contractor
5. Have the contractor go back to the house where the mistakes were made and have Adam and Skip point out to the contractor all the stuff that was screwed up.
6. Spend about 90 seconds showing them doing the work and fixing the problem created by the contractor.
7. Reveal the completed work to the family.

It's just way too much stuff to fit into a 30-minute show. And the most interesting part, the actual construction, gets almost no time at all.

Also, the second episode brought up an interesting point: Who says that the homeowner's version of the story is true? What if the contractor claims that he did as much work as the homeowners payments would cover and when he asked for additional money, the homeowners refused, so the contractor quit. Is that really the contractor's fault?
Old 03-12-2014, 03:44 PM   #20
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Also, the second episode brought up an interesting point: Who says that the homeowner's version of the story is true? What if the contractor claims that he did as much work as the homeowners payments would cover and when he asked for additional money, the homeowners refused, so the contractor quit. Is that really the contractor's fault?
Just watched the second episode. It definitely looked like some of this was the homeowners fault, for example 'temporarily' installing the contaminated cabinets. Redoing the tile was much more ambiguous, and I couldn't tell whether it was redone because the homeowners changed their minds or because there was something wrong with the original tile.

I could see how it could go either way.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:57 PM   #21
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
Just watched the second episode. It definitely looked like some of this was the homeowners fault, for example 'temporarily' installing the contaminated cabinets. Redoing the tile was much more ambiguous, and I couldn't tell whether it was redone because the homeowners changed their minds or because there was something wrong with the original tile.

I could see how it could go either way.
My issue was that the homeowner got $32k from insurance for the damage caused by the backed up septic system. Homeowner gave $32k to contractor to fix damage caused by the backed up septic system. Yet then the homeowner is having the contractor do things like retile the tub surround in the bathroom, which would not have been damaged by the septic leak and would not be something the insurance money was intended to cover. Without seeing what the contract specifically said, I'm guessing that the homeowner was simply expecting more work for the $32k than what the contractor was willing to provide. And when the $32k ran out, the homeowner refused to pay more so the contractor considered his job complete.

That's the difference between the first and second episodes. The first episode guy clearly screwed the family over and tried to deny it but got caught in his lie. But in the second episode, the contractor remained adamant that he didn't take advantage of the family and that their money simply ran out. I think the show is intended to deal with problems like the first, but it really shouldn't be dealing with the type of things in the second episode, as that's not really a bad contractor issue.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:40 PM   #22
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
He needs the paycheck to fight the patent trolls.

http://steed.bangordailynews.com/201...nd-podcasting/

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...f-donor-names/

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #23
pmyers

watched one episode. not for me.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:56 PM   #24
knuckles
Watch This Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckles View Post
Wow, I listened to the Adam and Dr. Drew Show podcast and Adam made the same reference about the plates as I did. They were talking about how great the ratings were and that SPIKE wanted to order 21 more episodes.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:43 PM   #25
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Yeah, one episode and I am out. I'd rather watch Adam remodel a house than this show.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:43 AM   #26
Tivortex
Cherished Member

I gave it a try. I have better things to do.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:18 AM   #27
pmyers

Yeah it didn't have enough renovation to be a renovation show and not enough drama to be a drama show.

Having the contractor come back sounds good but he's not using his money to finish the job and all I saw him do was drive a couple of nails. It was the show's crew that was really finishing the job.

They could do the entire show without the old contractor bit.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #28
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Yeah it didn't have enough renovation to be a renovation show and not enough drama to be a drama show.

Having the contractor come back sounds good but he's not using his money to finish the job and all I saw him do was drive a couple of nails. It was the show's crew that was really finishing the job.

They could do the entire show without the old contractor bit.
Yes. As I said above, they're trying to fit 3 shows into a 30-minute slot, and there just isn't enough time for any of it.

And there really isn't much drama because the "caught" contractors would be stupid to refuse. They're getting the opportunity to make the situation right without having to pay anything and almost certainly getting a legal release from the homeowner against any future liability. So it's just 20+ minutes of wasted time to show the current condition and get the contractor back, and then only a couple minutes to show the work and result.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:41 PM   #29
pmyers

Goody synopsis
Old 03-19-2014, 11:13 PM   #30
smbaker

I probably going to keep watching just because Adam Carolla is in it and I enjoy his humor.

However, the contractor disputes remain not compelling. They all seem to boil down to some sort of dispute over money. Although the work in all three episodes has been crappy, it's not clear that the homeowners aren't partly to blame for some of the problems. In the third episode, they admittedly fired the contractor.

The contractors are tracked down trivially and the 'sting' is meaningless. That whole 6 minutes of show could be edited out to make room for something meaningful.

They need much better villains than they're finding. They need demonstrable malice and fraud, not just guys who are fired or quit over poor work.

They should watch some of the Chris Hansen* air duct cleaning videos to see how this sort of show should be done right.

* "Have a seat... right over there."