TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #1
klyde

Installed Desktop 2.8.3 No video transfer

I had Tivo desktop 2.8.3 on computer and was able to upload movies. Last night I went to upload a couple of TV shows and my premier does not show my computer, my HD box does but nothing in the folder even though I had 4 shows there. So I re installed desktop 2.8.3, I have a plus key but it does not ask for it now, and when installed it has no Video section, only music and photos.

Anybody know whats going on? or how to fix it?

The desktop cleaner is no longer available for download.

Last edited by klyde : 05-10-2014 at 10:34 PM.
klyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:31 PM   #2
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Did you by chance select the Directv Tivo option when you re-installed? I didn't a few weeks ago and it drove me nuts until I figured out I selected the wrong install option. It's the first prompt when you start the install.

There are two different types of install, one for regular TiVos and one for Directv; since Directv doesn't allow MRV transfers, the install for that only installs the photo and music capabilities. It's easy to miss, the one you want states something like series 2 Tivos but it applies to all retail TiVos and enables the video transfer ability.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:10 AM   #3
klyde

DUH!

Yes that's what I did, 3 times.
Now Im back to where I was before, the Primear does not see my laptop but the HD does, but the HD shows nothing in the My Tivo Directory. I'm rebooting the tivos now. The darn thing was working last week. This has been a problem since the first tivo desktop and they have never spent any time improving it. Seems like every time I have to re-install windows or upgrade the problems start over and I have to re learn the fixes.

Re-Boot did not help. I still can't see the computer from the tivos.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:01 AM   #4
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Might try using Tivo beacon instead of the default bonjour. That is somewere in the settings for the Tivo server. Also rebooting your TiVo's is recommended including your router. I assign my TiVos static addresses and that seems to help as sometimes the addresses can change if using dhcp which usually isn't a issue except when dealing with Tivo desktop, sometimes it requires everything to be reset. Also login online at Tivo to check and make sure video transfers are enabled, even if it shows they are for each Tivo, disabling and reenacting can help, then force a service call for each Tivo so they are updated.

Another thing to consider is trying pyTivo & Kmttg, they aren't too difficult to setup and offer much more flexibility with importing and exporting videos. Google it and you will the find the wiki page and setup instructions for them. With pyTivo, pyTivo acts as the app for delivering video to your Tivo and Kmttg is for pulling them down including decrypting and including cutting commercials out. They work really well together and provide a heck of lot more funtionality than desktop. I used to use Tivo desktop exclusively when the Tivo HD first came out but since then found that pyTivo and Kmttg works so much better as there hasn't been hardly any updates in Tivo Desktop for many years, it's a wonder it still works with the newer versions of Windows.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:19 AM   #5
klyde

I have changed back and forth from Tivo Beacon and Bonjour several times, as well as rebooted the tivos and computer. I have not tried rebooting the router.
I see that the address in tivo desktop is the correct address for both tivos. I have not tried a static address though. I also checked my tivo account and they are both enabled. I did notice after I rebooted the tivo it showed programs in the my download list that I had deleted before. I have chrome cast but it seems that its also a pain because if the internet is slow it sputters and buffers. I also have Veebeam, but only 12 ft away it looses connection. I have downloaded Pytivo but not tried to wade through the install yet.

The instructions for Pytivo read:
INSTALLATION:
=============
To install, drag the pie-icon (pyTivoX) to your Applications folder. (done) pyTivoX1.3b
RUNNING:
========
Double-click pyTivoX in the Applications folder There is no pytivoX exe or any other file named pyTivoX in the folder.
There is only a folder pyTivoX.app opening that it has many sub folders but I do not see anything that will execute the program.

Last edited by klyde : 05-11-2014 at 02:26 AM.