TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-03-2014, 11:57 PM   #1
dubluv
tivo lover

can I split optical out to HT receiver?

I have a HT that has only one optical audio input, so I ordered an optical splitter so I can have both my bluray and tivo premier use the receiver. my question is, if the splitter is not a powered switch, will the TiVo still send its audio to the receiver when the bluray is being used? I thought the inexpensive optical splitter would be a way to utilize my HT receiver for both the tivo and bluray player, but now I'm wondering will the tivo continue to send audio when its not being used, and therefore interfere with the audio feed from the bluray player? for my setup, its just much easier to use the HT receiver before the tv, rather than use the optical out from the tv to the receiver. the tv is wall mounted, and the cable run inside a chase, and will be very hard to connect a new optical cable from the tv back to the receiver, so i'd rather just use the receiver as i'm doing now, by sending hdmi to tv, but optical out from the tivo and bluray directly to the receiver. this sounds all so confusing, hope someone understands what i'm suggesting.

Premier 4
Humax DRT400 (250gb) 'Lifetime'
TiVo HD 'Lifetime' (320gb)
TiVo HD, soon to be gifted to my son ;-)
dubluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:32 AM   #2
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

I would expect that the Tivo would constantly be sending audio through the optical output. Put the Tivo into standby mode when you use the bluray player.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:11 AM   #3
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

The Toslink outputs audio all the time unless the Tivo is in standby, if you used a switch, it would need to be an active switch and not a passive splitter which mirrors multi input to a single output. An your receive handle hdmi input? The same audio is outputed over HDMI if your recieved can hdmi input/output.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:44 PM   #4
dubluv
tivo lover

i did find out i can do this with a switched splitter, which will isolate each optical output to the receiver. I guessed correctly, there would be interference from the tivo if it was not disconnected while another device was outputting via the same optical cable. i also read i could do harm to my devices. the receiver handles 5.1 properly thru the optical out from my premiere, so that's a start. not sure if it will do it from my samsung bluray, but i'm hopeful.

Premier 4
Humax DRT400 (250gb) 'Lifetime'
TiVo HD 'Lifetime' (320gb)
TiVo HD, soon to be gifted to my son ;-)
dubluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:25 PM   #5
Bigg

So I'm assuming the AVR doesn't have HDMI? Does the Blu-ray have a Coax digital output? That could be used for that, and optical for the TiVo. If not, you need an optical switch, not a splitter.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote