TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #1
mike386

S3 Power Supply

Can I connect the power supply from a Tivo HD to a original Series 3 (model with time display on front)? I want to test the power supply in the S3 to see if that is why it is stuck on the powering up screen, but the closest model I have is a Tivo HD.
mike386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:29 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike386 View Post
Can I connect the power supply from a Tivo HD to a original Series 3 (model with time display on front)? I want to test the power supply in the S3 to see if that is why it is stuck on the powering up screen, but the closest model I have is a Tivo HD.
That's not the best way to do it (best way is with voltmeter or oscilloscope), but yes, the pinout for the motherboard plug is the same except for the white or gray wire on the TCD648250 supply.

That wire, at, as I recall, +7.5 V, is for the OLED display and therefore not necessary on the 652/658 motherboards.

If you connect a 648 supply with that extra wire to a 652 or 658 motherboard, I do not know if it will come into contact with anything or not, and therefore you should not do that, due to the possibility of burning things our and starting fires.

However, temporarily, for test purposes only, you can run the 648 motherboard with either model of the 652/658 power supply.

In addition to the #10 Torx bit silver-colored screws holding the power supply circuit board down to the chassis stand-offs, there is a number #8 or #9 Torx screw which is smaller around, longer, and darker, and it screws in from the outside into the plastic at the top of the AC power cord jack.

When you install the test supply, use all the screws you took out of that TiVo which will be under test to secure it to the chassis and back panel--no short-cuts, no "Oh, 3 or 4 will be enough for right now".

And remember the number 1 rule:

ALWAYS KNOW WHERE BOTH ENDS OF THE TIVO POWER CORD ARE AT ALL TIMES!

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:57 PM   #3
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
However, temporarily, for test purposes only, you can run the 648 motherboard with either model of the 652/658 power supply.
Do you mean a 648 should function minus the OLED display with a 652 power supply?

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:00 PM   #4
timhbtr53

I think unitron is telling you it will work and the display will work but do it at you own risk. If you have a P/S with domed caps I would just order the caps and replace them. Unless you have a good volt meter and a oscilloscope to check the caps for ripple in the caps just order some new ones and replace them. But please be sure you have the power cord in a safe place.....
Old 08-25-2014, 08:03 PM   #5
shwru980r

OK thanks,

I tried a 652 power supply in a 648 but it looked like it was stuck in a loop showing the welcome powering up screen. The welcome powering up screen shows up initially, then the screen goes black after a few minutes then comes back to welcome powering up. Never gets to the almost there screen.

I put the old 648 power supply in and it booted up again, but the picture will freeze up after several hours. One of the capacitors looks slightly domed.

HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
Old 08-25-2014, 09:34 PM   #6
timhbtr53

You need a cap job

If you have a soldering pin and know how to solder order the caps and replace them one at a time. Just make sure you put positive to + and ground to -. If you don't have the equipment to do it or don't fell safe send me a private message. Oh and I would test the hard drive also in a pc but if you have bulging caps it time to replace them.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:28 AM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
OK thanks,

I tried a 652 power supply in a 648 but it looked like it was stuck in a loop showing the welcome powering up screen. The welcome powering up screen shows up initially, then the screen goes black after a few minutes then comes back to welcome powering up. Never gets to the almost there screen.

I put the old 648 power supply in and it booted up again, but the picture will freeze up after several hours. One of the capacitors looks slightly domed.
Does that 652 power supply work just find in a 652?

Both supplies have the same "pinout" on the motherboard connector (the same wires in the same holes), except for that extra 7 or 7.5 Volt wire on the 648 supply which is supposedly for the OLED.

However, there was at least one report of someone swapping supplies like that and the OLED still working, so somehow power was getting to it from the motherboard, so it would seem that it's not as completely segregated as one would otherwise assume, and that's not the kind of thing that simplifies troubleshooting.

If the 652 supply is "borderline", then the extra current draw of the OLED could mean it can't quite power up the hard drive properly, which could lead to the "lather, rinse, repeat" boot sequence, since the first screen is on the motherboard and the second screen (which you aren't getting) is on the drive, so it could be that you're getting incomplete communication between drive and motherboard, and it resets itself and tries again.

No communication between drive and motherboard, like if the drive wasn't connected, should result in first screen and that's it--it just sits there, but doesn't try to reboot.

Try the 652 supply in the 648 with the drive disconnected and see if it still reboots.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES USE A 648 POWER SUPPLY IN ANY OTHER MODEL TIVO!

Because you don't know what that extra wire might come in contact with on the motherboard.

(If you already knew how to temporarily remove that wire from the plug and tape it off you would be at a level of knowledge and experience where I'd probably be asking you for advice)

Can you get your hands on a voltmeter?

'cause I'm suspicious of both of your power supplies at the moment.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:36 PM   #8
shwru980r

The 652 power supply comes from a spare Tivo HD that I purchased off of Craigslist a few years ago and the Tivo HD boots up with that power supply.

The hard drive I was using in the 648 is a 1TB Seagate Barracuda green restored from a 648 backup file you provided in another thread and restored usiing winmfs. It's an old drive that I took out of a computer a couple years ago. I ran the seatools extended test on that drive and it passed.

The original drive in the 648 also passes the western digital extended test. The 648 behaves the same way with stock drive and the seagate drive using the 648 power supply. It will work fine for several hours and then it will freeze up.

The fan in the 648 was making a sound like a cricket, so I swapped out the fan with the one in the 652 but that didn't help.

I have a second spare Tivo HD 652 that I purchased at the same time as the other one. I will try this second power supply in the 648 to see if it works since there might be a chance it will work.

HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
Old 08-26-2014, 07:37 PM   #9
shwru980r

Confirmed that with the hard drive disconnected the 648 with a 652 power supply hangs on the welcome screen. With the hard drive connected it stays on the welcome screen for a short period of time and then reboots to the welcome screen continuously. I tried 2 different 652 power supplies.

HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
Old 08-27-2014, 09:21 AM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Confirmed that with the hard drive disconnected the 648 with a 652 power supply hangs on the welcome screen. With the hard drive connected it stays on the welcome screen for a short period of time and then reboots to the welcome screen continuously. I tried 2 different 652 power supplies.
Three things to try.

Use

mfsinfo

in WinMFS to see from which partitions the drive is set to boot.

Use fixboot option 1 to set it for 2,3, and 4, regardless of current setting, or option 2 to set it to 5,6, and 7, regardless of current setting. The idea is set it to where it currently is not set.

(there's a KS that's supposed to do the same thing but I can never remember which one)

Power the hard drive from some other source (start it up before the TiVo) and use a different SATA data cable from motherboard to drive.

Put a new instance of that 648 image on any handy drive 250GB or larger and see if you get the same behavior.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:04 PM   #11
shwru980r

I tried the fixboot on the 1tb seagate drive. I noticed it was on partition 6 so I selected option 1, but it still keeps rebooting to the welcome screen. I also tried the stock 250gb drive and observed the same behavior.

Both of these drives will boot up with the original 648 power supply and they both passed their respective long diagnostic tests. It's just that the tivo will freeze up after several hours with the original 648 power supply.

My next step will be to try and power the hard drive from my second spare tivo HD while powering the 648 with the other 652 power supply.

HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
Old 09-08-2014, 05:27 PM   #12
shwru980r

I sent the power supply for the 648 to timhbtr53 to have it repaired and the Tivo is working perfectly. No more freeze ups.

HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
Old 09-09-2014, 05:37 AM   #13
unitron

Quote:
I sent the power supply for the 648 to timhbtr53 to have it repaired and the Tivo is working perfectly. No more freeze ups.
Let's hear it for timhbtr53 and his terrific turnaround times!