TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-03-2015, 10:22 AM   #1
nine_again

comcast SF bay area, Jade channel 360, tivo HD

Folks,

Anyone with TivoHD and subscribe to jade channel 360 able to receive programming? Can someone try and let me know?

I have spent multiple sessions with comcast trouble shooting, swapping cable cards, comcast sending signal to cable card, rebooting the tivo, etc...

Still our jade channel 360 does not show up. signal strength indicator shows 100% like all of the other channels. We also tried adding attenuators to the physical cable just in case the signal was too strong.

All of our other normal channels work including HD channels.
Could this be a tivo software issue?

I tried everything I can think of for comast to try.

Did comcast switch to mpeg4 for certain channels maybe?

Please advise.
Thanks

Old 01-03-2015, 05:27 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

TC CLUB MEMBER
What is the SNR and signal strength on that channel? You would need to put enough attenuators on to bring the SNR down to 37 at least.

It also sounds like you would need a tuning adapter from Comcast, if they are using that, because it sounds like it could be Switched Digital Video.

OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:44 AM   #3
nine_again

(TiVo HD has the signal strength indicator to test channels, which is what I am using)
All of my channels, ones that I have examined are at 100
Signal to that channel 360 is 100: no picture

I also tried to remove the signal booster so the signal was less than 100 (maybe 50), but not at 37. Isn't too low of signal strength not good? But any how, no picture when signal was at 50 also.

I had asked comcast if they changed the way they deliver this channel and they said nothing as changed, and that the cable card has this channel 360 under their billing code. I will ask them again specifically about tuning adapters.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:14 AM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

TC CLUB MEMBER
If you look under DVR diagnostics from the TiVo menu, there is a line SNR which is signal to noise ratio. This should be max of 37.

Signal strength is too hot can cause issues. SNR also. So that's why I asked for that.

OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 01-04-2015, 10:59 AM   #5
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

TC CLUB MEMBER
The signal test menu option can be misleading and give insufficient information.

Try something else, go to the TiVo menu, setting, channels, channels list, press the channel number 360, is there another channel 360 that is unchecked? Press select to check this one and unchecked the other.

I have this for channel 2 KTVU, 1 has pictures and other only has signal strength, even though I only use antenna.

OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 01-06-2015, 08:48 AM   #6
nine_again

so SNR from the dvr diagnostic shows 37

the channel list shows only one 360. it is selected

when i goto 360 instead of a blank screen, it now shows the screen where it says

"this screen is displayed on behalf of your service provider (Cablecard 1)"
It has the phone number
1-800-266-2278

and all of the cable card info

Basically this is the screen I get. When I see this screen I called comcast cablecard department, they send a signal and then this screen becomes blank.

But if I do stuff like goto channel list and unchecked the channel and checked the channel again, when I tune t o 360, it not longer gave a blank screen but instead show the "this screen is displayed on behalf of your service provider (Cablecard 1)"

Does this point to a tivo SW issue? Or still a possibly a tuning adapter is required? Comcast told me a tuning adapter is not provided.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:55 PM   #7
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

TC CLUB MEMBER
This now looks like the cable card was not properly paired issue.

What does the cable card screen in the menu say?

OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 01-31-2015, 10:21 AM   #8
nine_again

ThAbtO

Thanks for your suggestion. I finally had time to look at this again. We recently ordered HBO and it too also showed the same problem as the Jade channel.

I called tech support and cable card department and did the repairing process and now it works, HBO and Jade channels.

I had called the same department at least 4 times and went through the same steps with them in the past. I don't know why it worked this time and not before.

The problem of the Jade channel occurred when I changed my hard drive. Does the host ID number and data numbers change when we change hard drives?

Old 01-31-2015, 06:53 PM   #9
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

TC CLUB MEMBER
Changing out the hard drive will un-pair the cable card and it needs to be re-paired properly to function right and its working now.

OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 01-31-2015, 11:20 PM   #10
ej42137

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_again View Post
ThAbtO

Thanks for your suggestion. I finally had time to look at this again. We recently ordered HBO and it too also showed the same problem as the Jade channel.

I called tech support and cable card department and did the repairing process and now it works, HBO and Jade channels.

I had called the same department at least 4 times and went through the same steps with them in the past. I don't know why it worked this time and not before.

The problem of the Jade channel occurred when I changed my hard drive. Does the host ID number and data numbers change when we change hard drives?
Probably because you are paying for HBO and if you don't get it you'll cancel it. Cable companies are the worst!

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:36 AM   #11
nine_again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Changing out the hard drive will un-pair the cable card and it needs to be re-paired properly to function right and its working now.
yes.

i think host ID or DATA fields (maybe both) might have changed when I changed the hard drive. I had provided those new numbers each time and the comcast person probably never re-entered those values and only "verified" them. I suspected it because this time the first person I talked to said they just needed to verify host ID and DATA number was not needed. When I spoke with another person he asked me for the DATA number as well. I asked them to re-enter all the values i read out to them.

It is working now, so I won't think about this further.

thanks for all the help