TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-29-2014, 11:43 AM   #1
artemis89

Channels all gone black

All of them. I use TWC. I have done a hard reset, did the guided setup again, soft reboot, nothing is working. There is no outage in my area that I can tell.

My tuning adapter is plugged in and seems to be working but my Tivo doesn't show it as being connected. I've tried to reset it and the channels won't come back. I'm wondering if I should exchange it for a different adapter.

Sent from Tapatalk
artemis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis89 View Post
All of them. I use TWC. I have done a hard reset, did the guided setup again, soft reboot, nothing is working. There is no outage in my area that I can tell.

My tuning adapter is plugged in and seems to be working but my Tivo doesn't show it as being connected. I've tried to reset it and the channels won't come back. I'm wondering if I should exchange it for a different adapter.

Sent from Tapatalk
About 4:30 AM EDT Wednesday morning TWC had a major big huge multi-state internet and on demand outage for about 3 hours--maybe your TA problem is some sort of knock-on from that.

Or maybe it's just gone bad.

You could plug it into the USB port on a PC and see if you get any kind of recognition of its presence.

Is the TiVo connected to your home network via Ethernet cable or a wireless adapter plugged into the other USB port?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:29 PM   #3
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Try running without the TA. You should still get a lot of channels. If so, that shows the problem is with the TA or the cables connecting it to the TiVo.

Are you power-cycling the TA? Don't just use the button on the front to reset it. Remove the power for 30 secs. I'm assuming it's a Cisco/SA 1520 although a few TWC regions use Motorola/Arris TA's.

Power Cycle the TA.
Disconnect the USB connector.
Wait til the TA light is steady green.
Restart the TiVo
While waiting reconnect the USB.
When TiVo restarts it should go through a getting channel map phase with a stupid rotating symbol for two minutes or more.

If you can get into TA Diagnostics go to the status(first) page, then hit next. What are the dBmV levels for FDC and RDC?

If the TiVo Diagnostics page isn't available after the above steps, you may well have a bad TA.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:19 PM   #4
artemis89

Yeah its a Cisco TA. I have been power cycling it correctly. Right now, I am getting channels up to maybe about 30, everything else beyond that is black. Any ideas?

Sent from Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
artemis89

Bump, I'm still having this problem.

EMMs in the CableCard menu still say "0". CableCard Tech support is stumped. They keep sending "signals" to my cablecard (whatever that means) thinking that the problem will be fixed but it never is. I only get channels up to about 18.

My signal is perfect too, according to their end.

Anyone have any idea what to do? Is there something wrong with my Tivo or what's going on?

Before, my TA was not showing up as "connected" according to Tivo but I replaced the USB cable and used the other USB port and now it's showing as connected but no dice with the channels.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:29 AM   #6
Teeps

Have you swapped and/or replaced the cable card(s) and t/a?
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:17 PM   #7
artemis89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
Have you swapped and/or replaced the cable card(s) and t/a?
Yes, both. I have exchanged CableCards maybe 3x now and I've switched out my tuning adapter 2x now.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:54 PM   #8
artemis89

Wow, I figured out what the problem was and it's fixed now, thankfully.

The "EMMs" in the CableCard menu kept showing up as 0, which apparently isn't normal. I had my case escalated to a much higher level of tech support. Apparently some signal/software on the CableCard got really screwed up. This guy "pushed" some sort of software to my CableCard and within seconds, the EMMs were showing up. And my problem was solved, all of my channels are here.

He said that he sees this happen with older Tivos which were unplugged inadvertently from the wall outlet or something. This did happen to me, right before my problem started. I accidentally turned off the strip that this Tivo was plugged into.

Luckily, I know, if I have this problem again, I'll ask CableCard tech to look through my account notes and say "Okay, see what they did to restore the EMMs and to fix my problem? Yeah, do that again."

*whew*