TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: When do you think the next line of TiVo hardware will be introduced.
2015 4 8.33%
2016 15 31.25%
2017 19 39.58%
TiVo is done with hardware 10 20.83%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 05-06-2014, 06:35 AM   #1
mcf57

next line of hardware

Just curious, but what is the typical amount of time & how many years is it usually between new hardware models by TiVo?
mcf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:28 AM   #2
JosephB

I don't see new hardware at all until the questions regarding CableCard or its replacement are settled.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:53 AM   #3
mcf57

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
I don't see new hardware at all until the questions regarding CableCard or its replacement are settled.
What are the "questions regarding CableCard"? I was not aware this was an issue.
mcf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:54 AM   #4
Grakthis

Quote:
If then?

The Roamio should be able to handle any software based future solution, I should think.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:11 AM   #5
jwbelcher

I don't see any new hardware by 2017. I'm also not very optimistic about a single CableCard successor by the way things look from the FCC. Unless something changes, it looks like conditional access is heading toward MSO-specific fragmentation.

If your interested in this topic:

CableCARD: TiVo Fights The Good Fight
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=516091

IMPLEMENTATION OF THE TELECOMMUNICATIONS ACT OF 1996. COMMERCIAL AVAILABILITY OF NAVIGATION DEVICES
http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/proceeding/view?name=97-80

Annual Assessment of the Status of Competition in the Market for the Delivery of Video Programming
http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/proceeding/view?name=14-16

In the Matter of Compatibility Between Cable Systems and Consumer Electronics Equipment
http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/proceeding/view?name=00-67

And STELA is ready to repeal the integration ban requiring cable operators to utilize CableCards. STELA is must pass legislation for 2014:

Rev 1 - Prevented FCC from created integration rules
http://docs.house.gov/meetings/IF/IF...3pih-STELA.pdf

Rev 2 - Keeps FCC ability for future rules, but eliminates current ban (approved by subcommittee)
http://democrats.energycommerce.hous...-2014-3-25.pdf

You should be worried about our ability to buy retail navigation boxes in the future. The NCTA and cable operators are advocating technology that would push their proprietary user interfaces on 3rd party hardware clients (DLNA CVP-2). The FCC has stated this technology meets their IP output rules as its an open standard voted on by its members. The downside is the cable industry are the predominate voting members; TiVo is not a DLNA member. I've been unable to find any publicly available information if DLNA CVP-2 will allow TiVo to roll their own interface (and unwilling to pay the 500 bucks for the DLNA Guidelines doc to find out).

Last edited by jwbelcher : 05-06-2014 at 10:27 AM.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:15 PM   #6
buscuitboy

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
You should be worried about our ability to buy retail navigation boxes in the future. The NCTA and cable operators are advocating technology that would push their proprietary user interfaces on 3rd party hardware clients (DLNA CVP-2). The FCC has stated this technology meets their IP output rules as its an open standard voted on by its members. The downside is the cable industry are the predominate voting members; TiVo is not a DLNA member. I've been unable to find any publicly available information if DLNA CVP-2 will allow TiVo to roll their own interface (and unwilling to pay the 500 bucks for the DLNA Guidelines doc to find out).
If this basically means I will HAVE to use another crappy Comcast cable box in the near future, I just assume drop cable and go with an antenna along with a media streamer like Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire or my current WDTV.

Last edited by buscuitboy : 05-06-2014 at 12:23 PM.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
If this basically means I will HAVE to use another crappy Comcast cable box in the near future, I just assume drop cable and go with an antenna along with a media streamer like Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire or my current WDTV.
Agreed, when my TiVo stops working with cable, I'll stop paying for it. I expect no help with Wheeler driving the FCC.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:39 PM   #8
unitron

The next TiVo hardware release may well be set top boxes for cable companies to rent to subscribers rather than anything available for purchase by consumers.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:44 PM   #9
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
The next TiVo hardware release may well be set top boxes for cable companies to rent to subscribers rather than anything available for purchase by consumers.
I have a feeling this is more likely than not. Of course TiVo already offers such products, but I think we're in the waning days of retail TiVo hardware

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:18 AM   #10
unitron

Quote:
I have a feeling this is more likely than not. Of course TiVo already offers such products, but I think we're in the waning days of retail TiVo hardware
You kind of can't blame them, with the cable companies making something that works well with their systems such a moving target.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:23 AM   #11
atmuscarella

I voted for 2017, but I also have my doubts.

Perhaps TiVo will make a OTA only DVR that actually has superior streaming abilities if things don't go well with a cable card replacement.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:26 PM   #12
Bigg

I'd say 2017, as they are on a 4-year refresh cycle, although they've maxxed out the capabilities of what CableCard can do, and the Roamio series is powerful enough to have any features needed added through software updates.

There's not much of an OTA market, so TiVo has to continue with MSO deals, especially if CableCard goes south.

CableCard, however, will be here for a very long time. If CableCard were eliminated tomorrow, Comcast could say goodbye to me, I would get D*, but a decade or more down the road, if CableCard is allowed to be discontinued, the whole landscape will look different anyways, so it's hard to say what I would do. However, I can't imagine providers just dicking customers over by removing CableCard, and QAM-based systems are going to remain the way cable works for the foreseeable future.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #13
tomhorsley

I suspect they'll just have to have voice recognition added. Everyone is doing it now.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote