TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #1
abovethesink

External HDD questions

Thanks in advance.

1) If the external fails, this will cause a total recording loss BUT will not damage my Roamio basic in any way, correct?

2) Do all externals work or only specific ones?

3) What is the size limit? 3TB like the internal?

4) Do all externals come with the necessary cords to connect?

5) Any specifc brand that would be recommended to either get or stay away from?

The short version of my dilemma is that I really want to upgrade my basic, but my wife is adamently against it as she doesn't want to lose a single recording. Given how much records each night, transferring the files is not realistic. I personally do not care if we lose our recordings once in a blue moon whether it be on a date I do it or randomly three years from now. It would be worth the extra space either way, but my wife isn't willing to take the short term loss and I am not about to go to spouse war over TV. External is definitely the lesser of two evils here.
abovethesink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

External fail should not impact the Roamio, generally, unless some strange short or something I have never heard of happened.
NO. Only WD. Go internal instead.
1GB is only officially supported unless you want to use a third party provider service provider
Look up the WD
Only one brand to choose from unless you go third party
Old 05-07-2014, 10:27 AM   #3
kbmb

Just my experience......in the past we've lost 2 of the WD external drives, and my parents have also lost 2 of them.

We won't ever do the externals again.

They can be convenient but we've had bad luck in reliability.

With the Roamio's making it easier to drop in your own internal....I'd look to that.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #4
abovethesink

As I thought I said clearly, the internal option is much better, obviously, but unfortunately unavailable to me due to my wife's stance on the matter. Sorry that I wasn't clear.

How long was the life for each of your WDs, kbmb?
abovethesink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #5
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by abovethesink View Post
As I thought I said clearly, the internal option is much better, obviously, but unfortunately unavailable to me due to my wife's stance on the matter. Sorry that I wasn't clear.

How long was the life for each of your WDs, kbmb?
Oh I see what you were saying.....you don't want to have to transfer current recordings off to install a new internal and then transfer them back? I will say....Roamio transfers are much quicker than the older TivoHD models.

My Dad and I both got our externals at the same time. Can't recall the timeframe exactly but I know both failed within warranty as we were able to get WD to send replacements. We live in different houses, so it wasn't a common issue that caused them to fail. In fact we both have our Tivos and the externals plugged into battery backups....so we were very careful with them.

I'd say after the replacements, my 2nd one started failing slowly. It would cause the Tivo to hang on reboot quite frequently. Then we started having random reboots....all tied to the external. Finally on that old TivoHD I bit the bullet and transferred shows off to the PC. I removed the external, it of course caused all programs to be lost.....but then we were back to the old 20hr internal drive that at that point was probably 7 years old.....ran it for a week with no issues.....so it was clearly the external causing the problems. Finally bought a new internal drive upgrade on eBay. My Dad's 2nd external ended up failing outright probably a year, year and half later. He gave up at that point and also ordered an eBay drive upgrade.

We've since moved on to Roamios.....and don't need the extra space (yet).

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote