TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-03-2014, 11:37 PM   #1
tallmomof2

Uploading existing videos - going from Sage to Tivo

I've been seriously researching Tivo as a replacement for my SageTV setup. Since it was sold to Google all development has stopped even though the forum is still pretty active and my setup is pretty stable but incomplete. I currently have several TB of recorded video that I would like to possibly move to a Tivo. Or is it possible to use a NAS in conjunction with the Roamio? In other words can the Roamio "see" a DNLA device? If not what type of external storage can I use?

What playback formats can I use?

On recorded Tivo videos is it possible to detect and either skip or delete commercials? I'm spoiled by using Comskip with SageTV. Only watch commercials during live sports. If I leave SageTV I'll have a Win8 PC available for processing video.

Are the ads on the Minis or just the Roamios?

How well does streaming work on the home network? I'm on Fios with the latest Actiontec router. It's my third with Fios and the first one required a separate NIM100 at the ONT for the MOCA network. I've had Fios a long time, originally Verizon only offered Voice and Internet and we switched from DSL. My iPad streams Netflix fine now so my assumption is that streaming from the Tivo will be comparable.

If Tivo adds Amazon Prime Video then making the switch will be very tempting. I just have a ton of recorded video that I would still like to watch without having to use a a second device. The main reason I'd move to Tivo is being to able use just one device for all my video.

TIA
tallmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:01 AM   #2
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmomof2 View Post
I currently have several TB of recorded video that I would like to possibly move to a Tivo. Or is it possible to use a NAS in conjunction with the Roamio? In other words can the Roamio "see" a DNLA device? If not what type of external storage can I use?

What playback formats can I use?
You can move videos to the Tivo and I believe you can pull directly from the Tivo, although I have only pushed, not pulled. And while the video file is still being sent to the Tivo you can start watching it. As for formats, I believe Tivo natively uses MPEG-2.
Lookup PyTivo and KMTTG on this forum for more info.

Quote:
On recorded Tivo videos is it possible to detect and either skip or delete commercials? I'm spoiled by using Comskip with SageTV. Only watch commercials during live sports. If I leave SageTV I'll have a Win8 PC available for processing video.
The Tivo itself won't automatically remove commercials. You can easily skip if you are watching with a be 30 sec advance button presses. But if you want them actually removed, you can transfer the recording from the tivo to your computer by using PyTivo, and then there is a thing to strip out commercials from the recording (i haven't used it), and then you can send the recording back to your Tivo

Quote:
Are the ads on the Minis or just the Roamios?
I think they are on the Minis too, but I just checked and don't see it. The only part where I mine the ads is when you pause. Otherwise it is just something you will see at the bottom on the tivo central menu or in the discovery bar (suggestions at the top of what to watch...etc)

Quote:
How well does streaming work on the home network? I'm on Fios with the latest Actiontec router. It's my third with Fios and the first one required a separate NIM100 at the ONT for the MOCA network. I've had Fios a long time, originally Verizon only offered Voice and Internet and we switched from DSL. My iPad streams Netflix fine now so my assumption is that streaming from the Tivo will be comparable.
What type of streaming are you talking about?
Streaming from a Roamio to a Mini? Flawless (for me -- I use MOCA created by the Pro). Quick even when changing channels, there is no type of buffering delay. I am impressed by how well it works.
Streaming to Ipad? I don't own one but borrowed my brother's once. Inside the home was great, out of home the picture isn't as great, but it works. Hopefully Android streaming soon so I can use it.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #3
tchapin

Yes, TiVo uses MPEG videos, but luckily, that's what SageTV records in, so you won't have to do any conversions.

I've found Comskip to be quite imperfect and when I last owned a TiVo, we got really good at re-starting playback at the right time. I don't think that you could do 30 second skips then, just fast forwarding. TiVo has a nice algorithm for automatically jumping the video stream back a little to account for human reaction times.

Also, if you're talking about streaming between TiVo devices, (I've recently been lurking here quite a bit lately as well), it seems like most people have fine luck, but just like w/ SageTV, it'll depend on your network. If you're going to wire or MoCA up all of your devices, that's the best case scenario. Wireless performance will depend a lot on your local situation.

Are you a TV hoarder? How much SageTV storage do you have right now?

I'm a former TiVo refugee that went to SageTV when I wanted a better whole-home solution (crap, almost 8 years ago!) and am not also considering my options. In my case, my SageTV server is really old and I recently upgraded to a Mac mini which is super sweet. I've got Rokus on each TV, so I'm kind of thinking of either cutting the cord or going with EyeTV. But it's unclear if Elgato really is going to support the platform long-term.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #4
tallmomof2

I'm definitely a TV hoarder but less so with more Netflix/Amazon Prime availability. I have SageTV recordings going back to 2008 when I first started with HD recording. One of my teens just finished watching Hairspray for the umpteenth time. I have around 4TB filled on my media server. Ideally I'd like to able to have the Tivo play the file from the server but I haven't seen anyone doing that so I don't know if it is possible.

I'll look into the extra programs to move the Tivo videos to my Win8 PC and maybe use Video Redo on them. I had excellent success with comskip in SageTV but there are add-ons to automatically skip the marked out commercials without actually removing the commercials. The 30 second skip on Tivo would probably work okay, too.

All of the minis would be on the current MoCa network (I actually have Nim100s hanging off of 4 different points in the house for wired devices.) and except for the basement I've had zero problems in almost 6 years. Since the basement TV is almost directly under the router wifi has worked reasonably well.

I looked at EyeTV but I don't think it's a longterm solution either. My personal PC is a hackintosh on which I run Win8 in Parallels so I can watch SageTV recordings and I also run a couple of other programs that are not as robust in OS X. My SageTV server is a Win8 PC with 12TB storage. I also use it as a general media server and backup server. I record on a couple of SiliconDust HDHomeRuns for the clear QAM and the Hauppage Colussus for everything else.

I'll poke around the site and see if I can find answers to some of my questions.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:07 PM   #5
HerronScott

What format are the current recordings on your media server and what kind of media server do you have? You might be able to run pyTivo on it which would let you serve up the existing recordings to a TiVo for transfer. I do that with our WHS which is primarily for backups but I also use it to offload some shows that I want to keep long term or when we need space on the TiVo's.

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:52 PM   #6
tallmomof2

It looks I can run pyTivo. My media server is Win8 and SageTV has recorded in MPEG2-TS and MPEG2-PS depending on the tuner. The TS files are in 720p (the Hauppage tuners are pretty finicky) and use file extension .ts The PS files are 1080i (Silicondust tuners not so finicky) and the file extension is .mpg.

I used to use WHS 1 for my Media Server but the second version is too limited so I went with Win8 and use Stablebit Drivepool to pool my drives. I almost went with WHS 1 when I had to rebuild my media server but decided to take advantage of newer hardware and use a 64 but OS and knew there were some problems getting SageTV to run on the second version of WHS. Since I run comskip and do some transcoding going with Win8 made it easy. I understand comskip doesn't work as well on Tivo so I may look at VideoRedo or tell my family to use the 30 second skip.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:19 AM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Unfortunately, commercial detecting is tricky. I've never used comskip so I can't compare, but VideoReDo's automatic commercial detection probably isn't going to be any more accurate.
I've found it is much easier for me to just go in and manually edit all of the shows I save. Of course, I only edit 5-10 shows in any one session, so it's not all that bad.
I can see if you were to have to edit dozens upon dozens of shows in one session, running the commercial detection in batch would help some in the time saving category. Then again, if you have to go back to each one and "fine tune" the edits, is it really worth it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote