TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:29 AM   #1
omelet1978

How would you physically connect a slingbox to the base model Tivo Roamio

I'm thinking about upgrading. I was just wondering how you would connect a slingbox 350 or 500 to the base model Roamio. I only see one HDMI out and nothing else.

Thank you
omelet1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:58 AM   #2
jfh3

There is a breakout cable, but I suspect the only way to get one is to call TiVo and see if you can order one. I presume it will support component outputs.

- Premiere (2TB) x2 (both for sale - PM me)
- Elite XL4 (for sale)
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:10 AM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

Based on the color coding of the A/V port on the Roamio basic, compared to the Mini*, the breakout cable will likely only be composite RCA and not component. Someone mentioned that it might be able to do either, via a software selection, but I've yet to see anyone actually mention finding such an option in the software.

* The Mini has two breakout ports. The yellow A/V port is composite RCA. The green port is component.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
jcthorne

The AV jack on the Roamio is composite RCA and stereo audio. A standard breakout cable for 1/8" mini jack works fine (I used one that came with a WDTV Live). Works fine and for streaming outside the home, 720x480 is about all the resolution the continuous upstream bandwidth will support anyway. For composite output, it looks pretty darn good via sling player.

You could also use an HDMI splitter to get more than one HDMI port but if your main tv is 1080p, you will no longer connect at that resolution as the Sling only supports 1080i input and the splitter selects the highest common format on its outputs.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
omelet1978

https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/av-cable

So just get this cable, plug it into the a/v jack and the slingbox 350 and I'm good to go?
Old 08-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

That one is a set intended for the Mini, so you're buying two cables one of which you don't need. I bought one on ebay for like $6 that works fine.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
tivoknucklehead

good thing I bought a pro, had no idea base model had no component out for my slingbox
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #8
Chesterton

I just received a Roamio base unit. I had an extra composite breakout cable from an old Slingbox Classic. Oddly, the white RCA jack, not the yellow one, carries the video, and the yellow and red have the audio I think. But there's a buzz in the audio. Any idea what's going on?
Chesterton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:36 AM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

The pin layout on that one is wrong. One of the audio channels is touching the ground, that's why you're getting the buzz. I bought this one and it works properly. It's only $5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Digi...-/370675838597
Old 09-05-2013, 06:48 AM   #10
Chesterton

Thanks for this advice! I found another cable I had that came with a free TV converter box that I got when the government was offering those. This cable has a longer neck. It works with no buzz, but I had to again swap the white and yellow jacks.
Chesterton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #11
sjsaleem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The pin layout on that one is wrong. One of the audio channels is touching the ground, that's why you're getting the buzz. I bought this one and it works properly. It's only $5

Were you able to get live streaming with this cable connected with Tivo Roamio base and Slingbox 350? Were you able to change the channels from slingbox client?
sjsaleem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #12
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsaleem View Post
Were you able to get live streaming with this cable connected with Tivo Roamio base and Slingbox 350? Were you able to change the channels from slingbox client?
There is no reason it wouldn't work. You may have to use a Premiere code for the remote setup (not sure if the Roamio is in their remote database yet). The only issue is it will not be HD since you can only use composite cables out of the base Roamio.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #13
aaronwt
HD Addict

I noticed my phone downloaded an updated Slinplayer app today. Now my video, on my phone, from my SlingBox 350 is all messed up.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #14
bayern_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I noticed my phone downloaded an updated Slinplayer app today. Now my video, on my phone, from my SlingBox 350 is all messed up.
Try going through the Slingbox setup again for your input type. Annoying, but hopefully it will fix the problem.
bayern_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #15
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayern_fan View Post
Try going through the Slingbox setup again for your input type. Annoying, but hopefully it will fix the problem.
Thanks. It's working now.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #16
Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
There is a breakout cable, but I suspect the only way to get one is to call TiVo and see if you can order one. I presume it will support component outputs.
"Breakout" cable is a general term. You can find them on the internets in more than one location. Specifically, you're looking for an A/V breakout cable that provides a red/white/yellow connection.

You will notice there is a jack that looks like you could plug in some headphones. That's where they'll go. They are not component. They are A/V.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #17
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
"Breakout" cable is a general term. You can find them on the internets in more than one location. Specifically, you're looking for an A/V breakout cable that provides a red/white/yellow connection.

You will notice there is a jack that looks like you could plug in some headphones. That's where they'll go. They are not component. They are A/V.
Most of these are designed for Apple products and will not work with a TiVo. Apple breakout cables have the ground wire in a different location then the TiVo so the only way to get them to work is to cut the cable and rewire them. If it was just the other 3 being mixed up you could make it work by just rearranging the connectors on the TV. But if the ground wire is in the wrong spot it'll never work properly.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #18
Coffee

Quote:
Most of these are designed for Apple products and will not work with a TiVo. Apple breakout cables have the ground wire in a different location then the TiVo so the only way to get them to work is to cut the cable and rewire them. If it was just the other 3 being mixed up you could make it work by just rearranging the connectors on the TV. But if the ground wire is in the wrong spot it'll never work properly.
That's odd. You'd think they would have a standard to prevent confusion. There are places that sell general a/v breakout cables that are not specifically designated for TiVo, or Apple. I wonder whose device is breaking the standard in that case. I also discovered that Apple car/usb adapters don't work for non-apple devices. That annoys me.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #19
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
That's odd. You'd think they would have a standard to prevent confusion. There are places that sell general a/v breakout cables that are not specifically designated for TiVo, or Apple. I wonder whose device is breaking the standard in that case. I also discovered that Apple car/usb adapters don't work for non-apple devices. That annoys me.
Apple broke the standard. They designed their ports so they were dual purpose and could be used for A/V or standard headphones. The previous A/V standard had already been established on video cameras but because of the position of the ground was not capable of supporting both headphones and A/V.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #20
unitron

Quote:
Apple broke the standard. They designed their ports so they were dual purpose and could be used for A/V or standard headphones. The previous A/V standard had already been established on video cameras but because of the position of the ground was not capable of supporting both headphones and A/V.
Standard mini-phone plugs have been tip-left, ring-right, sleeve-ground for about the last 50 years, or least the sleeve=ground part has been around since the origin of the 1/4 " phone plug on which the 1/8 " miniphone plug is modeled.

How does putting the ground anywhere else facilitate using a standard headphone plug?

Or did they go with a proprietary headphone plug pinout as well?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:20 AM   #21
Dan203
Super Moderator

I think what it is is a standard A/V plug is... Tip/Left, Ring1/Right, Ring2/Video and Sleeve/Ground. And to make it compatible with traditional headphones Apple did it Tip/Left, Ring1/Right, Ring2/Ground and Sleeve/Video. I think that's right. There is a thread in the Mini forum somewhere that has all the pin outs.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:36 AM   #22
kylem4711

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I am pretty clueless with this stuff.

Is this still the best option?

Is it still the only option? I am really hoping to get the best quality possible so i would think it would mean at least component cables and not composite.

unfortunately, i only have the roamio base, so i know that i do not have THAT many options.

any help would be appreciated.
kylem4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:01 AM   #23
aaronwt
HD Addict

The Roamio Basic does not have component outs. Only Composite and stereo audio.
I connect my SlingBox 350 to a TiVo Mini since that has component outs using the breakout cables. The Roamio Basic only has one port for the breakout cables which can only accommodate the composite out and stereo audio. While the Mini has two ports to accommodate the composite and stereo audio with one port, and component with the other.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:07 AM   #24
kylem4711

Quote:
The Roamio Basic does not have component outs. Only Composite and stereo audio.
I connect my SlingBox 350 to a TiVo Mini since that has component outs using the breakout cables. The Roamio Basic only has one port for the breakout cables which can only accommodate the composite out and stereo audio. While the Mini has two ports to accommodate the composite and stereo audio with one port, and component with the other.
I appreciate the help. I have a mini too. which cable do you use? happen to have a link?
Old 01-20-2014, 01:13 AM   #25
kylem4711

is it the one referenced above?

Old 01-20-2014, 08:29 AM   #26
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylem4711 View Post
is it the one referenced above?

Yes I ordered one of those for each of my Minis. Each order comes with two breakout cables, one for component and one with composite and stereo audio. So Component is connected to my Slingbox 350 for video and the stereo audio goes to my Slingbox 350 for audio.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:57 PM   #27
omelet1978

I'd like to stream in HD. I'm about to move and be living in two places, so I'd like the slingbox 350 and Tivo Roamio video picture be as clear as possible. Is there a cable that can do this? I also have a tivo mini.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:34 AM   #28
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by omelet1978 View Post
I'd like to stream in HD. I'm about to move and be living in two places, so I'd like the slingbox 350 and Tivo Roamio video picture be as clear as possible. Is there a cable that can do this? I also have a tivo mini.
Not if it's a Romaio Basic. The only analog video output the Roamio BAsic has is composite video.

If it's a Roamio Plus, Roamio Pro, or TiVo Mini then you can get HD to the Slingbox 350 with component cables. There is no way to do this with the Roamio basic unless you have some device that can convert the HDMI output to component.

EDIT: I missed that you had the TiVo Mini. USe the TiVo mini with the Slingbox 350. This is what I do with mine. You can buy your own compatible cables or just purchase these

https://tivo.com/shop/detail/av-cable

from Tivo.

It comes with two A/V breakout cables. One with Component RGB and a second one with composite and stereo audio. Connect the component and stereo audio to the Slingbox 350 inputs. My TiVo Mini works great with my Slingbox 350 using those cables from TiVo.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:46 AM   #29
omelet1978

Quote:
Not if it's a Romaio Basic. The only analog video output the Roamio BAsic has is composite video.

If it's a Roamio Plus, Roamio Pro, or TiVo Mini then you can get HD to the Slingbox 350 with component cables. There is no way to do this with the Roamio basic unless you have some device that can convert the HDMI output to component.

EDIT: I missed that you had the TiVo Mini. USe the TiVo mini with the Slingbox 350. This is what I do with mine. You can buy your own compatible cables or just purchase these

https://tivo.com/shop/detail/av-cable

from Tivo.

It comes with two A/V breakout cables. One with Component RGB and a second one with composite and stereo audio. Connect the component and stereo audio to the Slingbox 350 inputs. My TiVo Mini works great with my Slingbox 350 using those cables from TiVo.

Will the AV breakout cables stream in HD?
Old 01-23-2014, 12:49 AM   #30
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by omelet1978 View Post
Will the AV breakout cables stream in HD?
Yes, if you buy the component breakout cables. But only the Mini supports those. The base Roamio only supports composite breakout cables.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote