TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-14-2014, 04:49 PM   #61
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Collins View Post
I think Sir Rupert would disagree with your characterization.

News Corp had a fairly major impact on a lot of the business. They shut down DirecTV Brazil and Mexico, transferring customers to the corresponding SKY services. They sold off Hughes Network Solutions to SkyTerra (later acquired by Echostar). They sold their interest in PanAmSat. All of this had the effect of making DirecTV a satellite TV company only, instead of the technology conglomerate that Hughes had been. This was in keeping with News Corp's goal of dominating satellite TV in the Western Hemisphere, and treating DirecTV as "SKY America." The only thing that happened that viewers noticed was the move into HD programming, which would have happened no matter who owned the company.
Yes, but DirecTV was never a fully consolidated subsidiary of News Corp. AT&T would be buying every outstanding share, not a 20% supervoting share like News and Liberty did.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:57 PM   #62
Bigg

The biggest change will just be bundling, but they do that to a limited extent now. They will offer U-Verse VDSL bundles with satellite now, which they currently don't. And some wireless bundles.

It will put them in a kind of awkward position with Verizon though, in the markets that Verizon bundles with D*, but I guess they are all buddy-buddy among the big telcos anyways.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:10 PM   #63
Dan203
Super Moderator

Isn't Verizon looking to sell off their POTS/DSL business anyway? Maybe AT&T will buy that up so they can offer these bundles in all markets?
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:39 AM   #64
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Isn't Verizon looking to sell off their POTS/DSL business anyway? Maybe AT&T will buy that up so they can offer these bundles in all markets?
AT&T just sold off all of their wireline business in Connecticut, including U-Verse (Verizon also included FiOS in the areas they sold off).

I don't think either of them are terribly interested in their wireline service areas anymore. In areas that are dense enough to make a decent profit, sure, but the rural areas are going to get hit hard by both Verizon and AT&T exiting those areas.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
Old 05-15-2014, 10:58 AM   #65
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Verizon sold off all their POTS/DSL/FiOS business in northern New England to Fairpoint Communications, a tiny SC-based carrier. It was an extremely bumpy transition for many years. Fairpoint service is fine, but they haven't made any improvements in all the years since and stopped their fiber deployment. I'm lucky to have fiber Internet service, and am glad I don't have to deal with Comcast, but I would like to see some forward motion.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:06 AM   #66
JosephB

Government intervention, including funding and subsidies and not just from the Federal level, will be required to improve networks, especially those outside of major urban areas. Title II classification of broadband as a utility is step one, and then step two is to force universal service (although it's hard to say who has to service a given area....it was easy to mandate Ma Bell service the whole country when they were the only phone company) and then some kind of universal service fee like applies to landline phones to subsidize the buildout in non-profitable areas or to push speeds higher.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:45 PM   #67
Dan203
Super Moderator

I agree that the internet should be classified as a utility. That would also allow the FCC to reinstate the net neutrality rules which were stuck down by the court specifically because ISPs are not considered utilities.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:57 PM   #68
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
Verizon sold off all their POTS/DSL/FiOS business in northern New England to Fairpoint Communications, a tiny SC-based carrier. It was an extremely bumpy transition for many years. Fairpoint service is fine, but they haven't made any improvements in all the years since and stopped their fiber deployment. I'm lucky to have fiber Internet service, and am glad I don't have to deal with Comcast, but I would like to see some forward motion.
They have done some improvements to the DSL infrastructure... they're offering 15mbps DSL, and they've even put in RDSLAMs in to service the islands up in the Big Lake...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
Government intervention, including funding and subsidies and not just from the Federal level, will be required to improve networks, especially those outside of major urban areas. Title II classification of broadband as a utility is step one, and then step two is to force universal service (although it's hard to say who has to service a given area....it was easy to mandate Ma Bell service the whole country when they were the only phone company) and then some kind of universal service fee like applies to landline phones to subsidize the buildout in non-profitable areas or to push speeds higher.
Whoever the incumbent phone company is.

What would be really weird is if Verizon sold AT&T their copper and then AT&T offered U-Verse over the copper with Verizon doing FIOS... they probably wouldn't sell it though just for that reason.

A utopian future for broadband competition would have any developed area covered by a U-Verse style network, another company with GPON or WDM-PON, and then two cable companies. Or even 3 of those 4 would be great, as long as one of them is FTTH...
Old 05-15-2014, 09:10 PM   #69
unitron

According to this BuzzFeed article

http://www.buzzfeed.com/peterlauria/...-to-do-with-tv

AT&T wants the deal to get access to DirecTV's cash flow stream.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:16 PM   #70
tarheelblue32

The only positive thing I can say about this merger is that it would make it highly unlikely that DirecTV and Dish Network will ever be allowed to merge.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #71
Diana Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
...A utopian future for broadband competition would have any developed area covered by a U-Verse style network, another company with GPON or WDM-PON, and then two cable companies. Or even 3 of those 4 would be great, as long as one of them is FTTH...
That very closely describes broadband in the UK (first time I recall the UK and "Utopia" being linked).

I was just talking to a British ex-pat co-worker and he says 50/10Mbps broadband service in the UK averages only about £10 per month.
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:32 PM   #72
Dan203
Super Moderator

For me a utopian future would be municipal fiber to the home with users able to choose whatever video provider they want because all video is delivered via IP over the internet.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:06 PM   #73
atmuscarella

Quote:
For me a utopian future would be municipal fiber to the home with users able to choose whatever video provider they want because all video is delivered via IP over the internet.
Funny I just posted something close to that (I was/am ok with a regulated utility) at the end of another post I made earlier today:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...7#post10109067
Guess great minds must think alike
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:25 PM   #74
Dan203
Super Moderator

That would be perfect. Make data like electricity where you pay by the bit, then have video providers compete with one another nationally, or even globally, via IP delivery. Whether it's a linear multi-channel service like cable, al-la-carte channels, or pure VOD they all com into your home via IP on that single fiber line. Without the overhead of having to maintain the network cable prices should get cheaper. And if you throw in the competition that should drive down prices even more.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:16 PM   #75
Bigg

Quote:
That very closely describes broadband in the UK (first time I recall the UK and "Utopia" being linked).

I was just talking to a British ex-pat co-worker and he says 50/10Mbps broadband service in the UK averages only about £10 per month.
Really? They have that much competition?

Quote:
That would be perfect. Make data like electricity where you pay by the bit, then have video providers compete with one another nationally, or even globally, via IP delivery. Whether it's a linear multi-channel service like cable, al-la-carte channels, or pure VOD they all com into your home via IP on that single fiber line. Without the overhead of having to maintain the network cable prices should get cheaper. And if you throw in the competition that should drive down prices even more.
Flat rate, not by the bit, as that would be a huge disincentive to providing high quality video. I want the c-band feeds bit for bit like Google Fiber does.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:54 PM   #76
Dan203
Super Moderator

Flat rate is fine by me. Where do I sign up?
Old 05-16-2014, 09:59 PM   #77
HarperVision

Quote:
www.keepondreamin.com
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 01:05 AM   #78
unitron

Quote:
All the paperwork in both directions is carried by Unicorn Express.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:14 PM   #79
Bigg

Quote:
Does your ISP meter now?
Old 05-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #80
Diana Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Really? They have that much competition?
Apparently...he said that at his place in the London suburbs he had the choice of 6 different ISPs.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:16 PM   #81
Bigg

Quote:
Apparently...he said that at his place in the London suburbs he had the choice of 6 different ISPs.
Wow. Are those all separate physical plants, or do some share the same copper?
Old 05-18-2014, 01:27 PM   #82
Diana Collins

I think he said two of them were wireless, the rest all operated over the same wire.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:09 PM   #83
HarperVision

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

AT&T buys DirecTV for nearly $50 billion

http://usat.ly/1nboYX7
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:15 PM   #84
bootman_head_fi

Funny how this merger no one seems to cry foul like they do with the Comcast/TWC deal.
U-verse and DTV are direct competitors.
Comcast and TWC are not.
No one finds this a little strange?
bootman_head_fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:25 PM   #85
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
AT&T has zero presence in this region. (Not counting cellular.) I wonder what this will mean in the long term for me as a DirecTV customer.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:32 PM   #86
zalusky

I would guess they will attempt to partner where they don't have internet presence.

I am wondering if this means Uverse will be in a marketing sense since DTV might have stronger branding.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #87
tarheelblue32

Wonderful. The new TV/internet service they offer can be called "U-DirT" to better reflect how they feel about their customers.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:32 PM   #88
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
Wonderful. The new TV/internet service they offer can be called "U-DirT" to better reflect how they feel about their customers.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:39 AM   #89
jgametest

immagine the possibilies if att labs is able to harness the technology it would be able to expand u-verse on a wider scale.

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_214 using Tapatalk
jgametest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #90
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman_head_fi View Post
Funny how this merger no one seems to cry foul like they do with the Comcast/TWC deal.
U-verse and DTV are direct competitors.
Comcast and TWC are not.
No one finds this a little strange?
The competitive situation for Comcast and TWC is different. It's not necessarily that Comcast/TWC eliminates a video competitor in the consumer market, it's that they would have an outsized number of subscribers. They could pick and choose winners based on channels they decide to carry or websites they decide to degrade the traffic for. If you want to reach a large number of internet users in the US, you'll have to do whatever Comcast wants you to do.

Plus, the elimination of competition between DirecTV and AT&T would occur in such a small relative area, it's not a major loss. Sure, AT&T "covers" 22 states with their wireline services, but U-Verse is only available in a small percentage of each of those states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgametest View Post
immagine the possibilies if att labs is able to harness the technology it would be able to expand u-verse on a wider scale.

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_214 using Tapatalk
AT&T no longer owns Bell Labs.