TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-26-2015, 01:15 PM   #1
Azlen

Zatz announces that Cox on Demand Finally Coming to Tivo

http://zatznotfunny.com/2015-05/tivo-cox-on-demand/

Via trusted sources, we’ve learned that TiVo is poised to launch Cox On Demand services… nearly five years after an announced partnership that many have assumed to be dead. So while the various players dicker over the capabilities and implementation of a CableCARD successor, TiVo once again strikes a deal to build a custom solution. I’m not sure what’s in it for Cox, other than avoiding the remaining couple years of TiVo’s Time Warp patent teeth. But we clearly know the value to TiVo — the DVR pioneer has previously indicated that retail sales and retention were higher within the Comcast footprint as Xfinity On Demand rolled out. (Granted, those regions had been bolstered by additional marketing.) Giving up “free” on demand content provided by one’s cable provider is often a sticking point before “going TiVo” – and Cox represents a sizable portion of TiVo’s addressable audience as the 5th largest compatible cable operator. Trust me, a large percent of my peers with children rely on On Demand, making a TiVo a non-starter in many cases. It’s yet to be seen if the new TiVo Cox On Demand implementation retains the dated Xfinity approach or goes with a more modern HTML5 front-end. Regardless, given Cox’s continued reliance on Switched Digital Video and over aggressive copy protection, Verizon FiOS is still probably the better choice… assuming you have one.

Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:40 PM   #2
davezatz
Funkadelic

Multichannel has confirmed my news with Cox. On Demand will require both cable and broadband service, as video will be coming over the IP channels (but will not count against one's cap). Initial market is Orange County and slated for early July with more markets to follow. OnePass is an open question, but I assume it'll be part of it. If not at launch, surely within the near future - it's a key TiVo selling point.

http://www.multichannel.com/news/nex...o-boxes/390884

davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:41 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Interesting that they are using IP instead of traditional VOD with an IP bridge like Comcast.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:03 PM   #4
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Interesting that they are using IP instead of traditional VOD with an IP bridge like Comcast.
This sounds great, as it means a DVR or Mini can still access Cox VOD even when all tuners are in use.
"The VOD integration underway will have Cox support on-demand via IP (rather than via MPEG transport) using a digital rights management (DRM) from Verimatrix. Cox uses a similar approach to deliver VOD over IP to its “Contour” app for tablets"

"The Cox VOD menu, Smith noted, will be accessed alongside OTT video suppliers supported on TiVo’s retail platform, including Amazon and Netflix."
http://www.multichannel.com/news/nex....6Y6kW7l4.dpuf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:26 PM   #5
moyekj

Quote:
I think I like the Comcast approach better where they use QAM for the video. My guess is Cox IP based VOD will look horrible, especially if Cox is simply passing along the encodings used for their Contour app feeds which are designed to be viewed on mobile devices and tablets and hence low resolution and bitrates.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:26 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
This sounds great, as it means a DVR or Mini can still access Cox VOD even when all tuners are in use.
"The VOD integration underway will have Cox support on-demand via IP (rather than via MPEG transport) using a digital rights management (DRM) from Verimatrix. Cox uses a similar approach to deliver VOD over IP to its “Contour” app for tablets"

"The Cox VOD menu, Smith noted, will be accessed alongside OTT video suppliers supported on TiVo’s retail platform, including Amazon and Netflix."
http://www.multichannel.com/news/nex....6Y6kW7l4.dpuf
Weren't you the one that mentioned that Cox was working on converting a portion of the spectrum to DOCSIS 3.1 so they could offer gigabit internet?

My only issue with IP is that it's subject to interruption from other data sources and node slow downs. Where traditional VOD uses a entire QAM which is guaranteed a specific amount of bandwidth.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:15 PM   #7
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Weren't you the one that mentioned that Cox was working on converting a portion of the spectrum to DOCSIS 3.1 so they could offer gigabit internet?

My only issue with IP is that it's subject to interruption from other data sources and node slow downs. Where traditional VOD uses a entire QAM which is guaranteed a specific amount of bandwidth.
Yes that was me. Cox is also eliminating all Analog channels this year, market by market, so that should free up quite a bit of space, ~360MHz

Cox tends to be very proactive at node splits and keeps them as low as feasibly possible, at least in Phoenix they do.

I predict this IP VOD implementation is not just for TiVo. I think we may see a Cox Contour channel/App for certain streaming devices.

Last edited by CoxInPHX; 05-26-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:37 PM   #8
mrsean

I wish we could get FIOS On Demand.

Retired: DirecTiVo, Series 2 DT, TiVo HD, Premiere, Premiere 4, TiVo Stream
mrsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 05-26-2015, 08:42 PM   #9
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Yes that was me. Cox is also eliminating all Analog channels this year, market by market, so that should free up quite a bit of space, ~360MHz

Cox tends to be very proactive at node splits and keeps them as low as feasibly possible, at least in Phoenix they do.

I predict this IP VOD implementation is not just for TiVo. I think we may see a Cox Contour channel/App for certain streaming devices.
They need to add pc access also

ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:10 PM   #10
foghorn2

Hope it comes here to Vegas.
We still have analog service too.
Good reason to stay with Cox, otherwise its time to run the guided setup back to OTA.

foghorn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:53 PM   #11
ajwees41

If this is the way they are going are they going to rewrite/recompile the contour app to be viewable on TV?

Old 05-27-2015, 02:32 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsean View Post
I wish we could get FIOS On Demand.
FIOS VOD is already IP based. All they would need to do to add it to TiVo is write an app for the TiVo platform. I'm sure TiVo would happily add it to the boxes. Unfortunately a lot of these companies see TiVo as competition so they do as little as possible to support them.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:45 PM   #13
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
FIOS VOD is already IP based. All they would need to do to add it to TiVo is write an app for the TiVo platform. I'm sure TiVo would happily add it to the boxes.
Something unsaid by someone a couple months back made me think it could be a possibility. But maybe it was just wishful thinking on my part.

(And TiVo is partial competition in regards to lost recurring fees, inability to run ads and otherwise upsell services like "Quantum" Internet via the TV as they do, additional support costs. But it's a minority if customers and FiOS doesn't operate alone like the old school cable companies in most regions - for example, here in Northern Virginia, there's a lot of people who can choose between Cox and FiOS for TiVo. Does On Demand tip the balance for some? Enough to matter?)

davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:52 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
I could see it tipping the scales for some. Maybe this will light a fire under them. Competition is good that way.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:52 PM   #15
ajwees41

Quote:

can this be split on the cox network like the phone is? What I mean can this run on dedicated spectrum so it doesn't interfere with internet traffic?

Old 06-03-2015, 05:24 PM   #16
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
DOCSIS 3.1 uses completely different modulation so they would have to split it out.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:46 PM   #17
ajwees41

Quote:
DOCSIS 3.1 uses completely different modulation so they would have to split it out.
will the video be slowed down if the house has a lot of internet connected devices?

Old 06-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #18
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
No video will be carried on traditional QAM. It can't be slowed down. Cable TV breaks channels into 6MHz blocks from 55MHz all the way up to 1000MHz. This was originally done for analog SD which used the entire 6MHz block for a single channel. QAM uses special modulation to convert these 6MHz blocks into a stream that can carry roughly 38Mbps of digital data. They can cram as many digital channels into that 38Mbps as they can fit. (typically 3 HD, or 10+ SD) DOCSIS 3.1 uses a different modulation scheme which breaks the frequencies into much smaller blocks and then bonds them all together allowing for a single huge pipe for digital data.

Most cable systems only go up to like 800MHz, so I assume what Cox would do is use spectrum below like 550MHz for traditional QAM to carry TV and then convert the upper 250MHz to DOCSIS 3.1 used exclusively for internet. That way they wouldn't have to upgrade all their equipment and convert all their linear TV to IP.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:54 AM   #19
nickg420

Wonder if Charter will soon follow suit?

Right now I have one of Charter's awful receivers on my account just for On Demand purposes. Would be nice if I could access that content through my Roamio!

nickg420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:05 AM   #20
socrplyr

Quote:
No video will be carried on traditional QAM. It can't be slowed down. Cable TV breaks channels into 6MHz blocks from 55MHz all the way up to 1000MHz. This was originally done for analog SD which used the entire 6MHz block for a single channel. QAM uses special modulation to convert these 6MHz blocks into a stream that can carry roughly 38Mbps of digital data. They can cram as many digital channels into that 38Mbps as they can fit. (typically 3 HD, or 10+ SD) DOCSIS 3.1 uses a different modulation scheme which breaks the frequencies into much smaller blocks and then bonds them all together allowing for a single huge pipe for digital data.

Most cable systems only go up to like 800MHz, so I assume what Cox would do is use spectrum below like 550MHz for traditional QAM to carry TV and then convert the upper 250MHz to DOCSIS 3.1 used exclusively for internet. That way they wouldn't have to upgrade all their equipment and convert all their linear TV to IP.
You are incorrect. For Cox on Demand to Tivo, they have stated that it will be sent via IP. It will probably not directly share with internet traffic due to net neutrality concerns. However, it will be transmitted through your cable modem and home network, so it could have some impacts during heavy usage.

On a side note. At least in my area, Cox already goes up to 1GHz I think. This caused a problem with older Tivo's not being able to tune that high. They will be clearing the space for it by removing Analog channels. They are free to reorganize what frequencies the digital channels use after that, but right now there are some up above 850MHz.

Last edited by socrplyr; 06-05-2015 at 09:10 AM.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:21 AM   #21
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr View Post
You are incorrect. For Cox on Demand to Tivo, they have stated that it will be sent via IP. It will probably not directly share with internet traffic due to net neutrality concerns. However, it will be transmitted through your cable modem and home network, so it could have some impacts during heavy usage.

On a side note. At least in my area, Cox already goes up to 1GHz I think. This caused a problem with older Tivo's not being able to tune that high. They will be clearing the space for it by removing Analog channels. They are free to reorganize what frequencies the digital channels use after that, but right now there are some up above 850MHz.
We weren't talking about VOD we were talking about how they are going to split the spectrum so yhey can use DOCSIS 3.1 to offer gigabit internet. It was a bit off topic, but if you read all yhe posts in context you'll see what I was talking about.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:33 AM   #22
ajwees41

Quote:

those will most likely stay since they are most likely the contour channels available with the whole home dvr or Tivo Premiere and Roamio

Old 06-05-2015, 12:27 PM   #23
moyekj

Quote:
We weren't talking about VOD we were talking about how they are going to split the spectrum so yhey can use DOCSIS 3.1 to offer gigabit internet. It was a bit off topic, but if you read all yhe posts in context you'll see what I was talking about.
From what I've read so far, gigabit internet that Cox is rolling out to several areas is currently based on using fiber to the home (similar to Verizon FIOS), so DOCSIS 3.1 is not needed. Perhaps as a longer term program DOCSIS 3.1 is in the picture, but not for current roll outs from my understanding.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:32 PM   #24
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
From what I've read so far, gigabit internet that Cox is rolling out to several areas is currently based on using fiber to the home (similar to Verizon FIOS), so DOCSIS 3.1 is not needed. Perhaps as a longer term program DOCSIS 3.1 is in the picture, but not for current roll outs from my understanding.

from what I have read Docsis 3.1 will be be for already constructed neighborhoods that have cox services and the fiber will be new construction or if parts need replacing

Old 06-05-2015, 12:57 PM   #25
socrplyr

Quote:
Where did ajwees41 mention anything about 3.1? He/She was asking about the impact of IP based video service, which as you correctly pointed out doesn't apply to regular channels. I don't think he/she would be asking you "How do you split internet from internet?" However, it does apply to Cox VOD on Tivo, which is actually what the topic is about. You continued your off topic discussion in the thread instead of answering an on topic question.

Back on topic, I want to reiterate. With this implementation your internet usage might impact your VOD performance. Implementation will decide how much it will really impact.

socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:29 PM   #26
ajwees41

Quote:
Where did ajwees41 mention anything about 3.1? He/She was asking about the impact of IP based video service, which as you correctly pointed out doesn't apply to regular channels. I don't think he/she would be asking you "How do you split internet from internet?" However, it does apply to Cox VOD on Tivo, which is actually what the topic is about. You continued your off topic discussion in the thread instead of answering an on topic question.

Back on topic, I want to reiterate. With this implementation your internet usage might impact your VOD performance. Implementation will decide how much it will really impact.
I'm a male just wondering is the can split he traffic for this like the digital phone is since the digital phone now runs on the cox HSI modems

Old 06-05-2015, 06:16 PM   #27
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Most Cox markets have moved all QAM Video below 860MHz, as the >900MHz QAM Video was problematic for many, and those were specifically the Contour HD MPEG4/H.264 channels that were and still is an issue for the Series 3 TiVos not the frequencies above 900MHz. Now the Contour HD MPEG4/H.264 channels are all below 860MHz and SDV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
those will most likely stay since they are most likely the contour channels available with the whole home dvr or Tivo Premiere and Roamio
See Above..

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Only select areas are getting FTTH, and that Fiber is just for Internet, QAM Video and Phone will still use the HFC infrastructure. The rest will have to wait for DOCSIS 3.1.

Even future new single family construction will have both FTTH and HFC infrastructure. Cox has no plans as of now, at least, to deliver QAM Video and Phone over the FTTH. Fiber will pass the home in this case, but unless they get G1GABLAST HSI, their Internet will be HFC with a Cable Modem.

Quote:
from what I have read Docsis 3.1 will be be for already constructed neighborhoods that have cox services and the fiber will be new construction or if parts need replacing
See Above...

Last edited by CoxInPHX; 06-05-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:03 AM   #28
ajwees41

any new news no longer listed on cox press release page

Old 07-30-2015, 03:52 AM   #29
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
any new news no longer listed on cox press release page
The Press Release is still on the website. But, we will just have to wait and see how it plays out....
http://newsroom.cox.com/index.php?s=34171&item=517

Old 07-30-2015, 11:45 AM   #30
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickg420 View Post
Wonder if Charter will soon follow suit?

Right now I have one of Charter's awful receivers on my account just for On Demand purposes. Would be nice if I could access that content through my Roamio!
Same here. I have a Charter box for the wife as she just refuses to plan ahead and record content. Instead she uses VOD. If Charter would institute VOD for TiVo, I would replace that STB with a Mini in an instant.

UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote