TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-30-2015, 10:40 AM   #1
MyM3

Dish Network & Roamio Basic Compatability

In order to save $$ I need to drop Comcast Triple Play and am considering Dish Network. I have a Roamio Basic with the WD My Book external hard drive (which I probably don't need as my recorded space rarely exceeds 25%).

I would love to hear from anyone who is currently using Roamio + Dish Network.

I have already viewed these topics:

Hooking my TiVo up with Dish Network, plus a couple of other questions (from Feb 2010)

Tivo vs. Hopper (from Sep 2013)

G. Gordon Liddy
MyM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:47 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

Incompatible. Though since you have a basic unit you can use it for OTA.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:04 AM   #3
MyM3

OTA is incompatible with my metal manufactured home

G. Gordon Liddy
Old 07-30-2015, 11:15 AM   #4
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyM3 View Post
OTA is incompatible with my metal manufactured home
? An outside antenna should still work.

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:43 AM   #5
MyM3

Not the last one I tried. Besides, there is not enough OTA programming that interests me.

G. Gordon Liddy
Old 07-30-2015, 04:13 PM   #6
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

TC CLUB MEMBER
The last Tivo that worked with Dish or DTV was the series 2.

The link about Dish and Tivo are out of date and no longer applies to Tivo after Series 2. Series 3, Premiere, Roamio are specifically designed to work only with cable or OTA. There are no workarounds either.

OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:11 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Well there is one very crude work around. You could buy an ATSC modulator (expensive) and connect that to the Dish receiver, then feed that into the TiVo and do manual recordings on whatever channel the modulator outputs. However you wouldn't get accurate guide data (it would be set to whatever was on that OTA channel) and you'd have to manually tune the receiver to the proper channel, so it wouldn't really work well as a DVR.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:47 PM   #8
krkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyM3 View Post
In order to save $$ I need to drop Comcast Triple Play and am considering Dish Network.
Who's your Internet provider? It's difficult to imagine you couldn't get a Double Play (Internet+TV) package from Comcast that wouldn't be cheaper than Comcast Internet + DISH TV.

krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:02 PM   #9
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Well there is one very crude work around. You could buy an ATSC modulator (expensive) and connect that to the Dish receiver, then feed that into the TiVo and do manual recordings on whatever channel the modulator outputs. However you wouldn't get accurate guide data (it would be set to whatever was on that OTA channel) and you'd have to manually tune the receiver to the proper channel, so it wouldn't really work well as a DVR.
Actually under dish's current promotions I don't think it is even possible to get anything but a hopper DVR - the current promotion gives you the DVR for "Free" and waves the DVR service fee for 1 or 2 years (depending on what promotion you take). Didn't see any option to down grade to a receiver only.

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:10 AM   #10
ncted
A leaf on the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Actually under dish's current promotions I don't think it is even possible to get anything but a hopper DVR - the current promotion gives you the DVR for "Free" and waves the DVR service fee for 1 or 2 years (depending on what promotion you take). Didn't see any option to down grade to a receiver only.
You can still do it. You just need to call or deal with a reseller. Although, if you are willing to pay for Dish, just take the Hopper. It is quite good.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:28 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
It's a terrible solution anyway. The ATSC modulator alone is going to cost a couple hundred bucks and the functionality you'll get is essentially a digital VCR. You're much better off just using their DVR and selling the TiVo if you decide to switch.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:42 PM   #12
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
It's a terrible solution anyway. The ATSC modulator alone is going to cost a couple hundred bucks and the functionality you'll get is essentially a digital VCR. You're much better off just using their DVR and selling the TiVo if you decide to switch.
What I was going to do with my QAM modulator was connect the DirecTV DVR (hopefully the THR22 TiVo for some basic consistency) to it and make that a "channel" for my Roamio OTA which will be hooked up to my antenna getting the networks. 90% of what we record is off the networks as we aren't big cable channel fans, but there are a select few shows we like.

This way the DirecTiVo records all the cable type shows as well as the real #1 reason, my NFL Sunday Ticket games and they're waiting for us on that DVR. We would mainly use the Roamio for watching most shows on networks and all the streaming options but when we want to watch cable show recordings or Sunday football, we tune the Roamio to the DirecTV channel and grab the RF remote for that and just operate that as you would if it were directly connected to the TV and play the recordings from that.

If I really like the show in watching on directv then I can manually record it on the Roamio and archive as needed.

I haven't implemented it yet, but I'm brainstorming since we are so close to football season and I'm getting VERY antsy wondering how I'm going to watch all my games!!!

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote