TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-26-2014, 09:42 PM   #1
DerekSF

Lifetime service cost after 1 year of month to month?

Bought a Tivo Premiere XL4 12 months ago for $399 on a month to month plan @14.99/mo ($180 so far). Plus Two Tivo Minis w/ Lifetime @ $250 each. And probably spent another $200 wiring the condo for Cat 5. So I'm pretty heavily invested at this point.

My one year commitment is now up. The website is only offering Lifetime at $499 or $399 with a promo code, which isn't any different then what I was offered initially before spending $180 in monthly service charges.

I've heard the $199 number thrown around for Liftetime after 12 months. What does one have to do to get that? Just call support and ask? Do I have to threaten to cancel or any other games?

I'd love to get a Roamio at some point as my XL4 is really sluggish, but after spending close to $1300 so far, not ready to spend another $400 plus service. I'll wait till prices come down or they start offering deals to existing customers.
DerekSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:34 PM   #2
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Per the conversation I had with TiVo customer support, the older TiVo's must have been subscribed for 2 years to receive the $199 upgrade and those subscribed 3 years or longer will receive lifetime for $99. I just got lifetime for a 2 tuner Premiere when I called to cancel it as I just activated a Roamio they offered me lifetime for $99 which I took. While I hadn't had the Premiere on my account for 3 years, I had bought it used on eBay and it's past service history was more than three years.

I believe they do have room to make a deal esp if you are willing to replace the older TiVo with a Roamio. They put the Roamio on the my old HD's plan which gave monthly service for the old rate of $9.95 and I have no service commitment. While I was thinking about buying lifetime for the Roamio, I really can't argue with having the lower monthly rate that isn't offered any longer as it will take more than 3 years to make up for the upfront cost for lifetime and in three years perhaps they will give me lifetime for the Roamio for $99.

Only way to know for sure is call and ask, the worse thing they can do is say no and also don't give up if one customer service rep says no, call back again and get a different one and they may give you a better deal. They appear to have a general "suggestion" guidelines rather than solid rule they follow.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:00 AM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

Yes call and ask. They switched over my $6.95 a month rate to a new Roamio BAsic. And then allowed me to put lifetime on that Premiere for only $99.
I've had that $6.95 rate for close to seven years now. First on a TiVoHD, then a Premiere, and now the Roamio Basic.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:04 PM   #4
ciscokid

Well, I dunno. I nought a used HD off eBay about a year ago. I replaced it with a Roamio and they let me get lifetime for $99 on the HD that I had for less than a year.
ciscokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:36 PM   #5
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscokid View Post
Well, I dunno. I nought a used HD off eBay about a year ago. I replaced it with a Roamio and they let me get lifetime for $99 on the HD that I had for less than a year.
Yes, same here. The service time for the used unit is combination of all owners, not just yourself, one Premiere of mine was only active on my account for less than 30 days and I recieved the $99 offer. Not too bad for a Tivo that I payed $10 for and the first month's fee of $14.99 which was applied to the $99 lifetime fee.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #6
WhiskeyTango

The month to month plan is NOT a payment plan towards eventual Lifetime. You're going to pay full price for the Lifetime unless you somehow are given special treatment.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:48 PM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

Within the first thirty days they will apply that first months payment toward lifetime. Because of the thirty day money back guarantee.

They did the same thing with my two Minis. I initially got the monthly service, then a week later I signed up for lifetime. And that initial monthly payment was credited toward the lifetime service.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote