TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-13-2007, 01:52 PM   #1
zaphod900

Tivo Desktop installation error

I was using v2.3 for some time and it was working fine. Then I tried to upgrade to v2.3a and got this error message, after I click Next on "Welcome to the Tivo Desktop Installation Wizard" :

TiVo Desktop Installer Error (Dialog box)
The installation ended prematurely because an error occurred.

I have uninstalled all versions of Tivo Desktop and have tried to install v2.3 again with my original TiVoDesktop2.3.exe file, but always get to the same place with the same error.

Who can help me?

Thanks.

Brian
zaphod900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 02:38 PM   #2
greg_burns
Now in HD

Delete the Tivo folder from c:\Program Files directory. Try the install again.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 02:15 PM   #3
jimmykay

Same issue

I am having the same issue and I have no Tivo folder. Any suggestions?
Thanks - Jim
jimmykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:05 PM   #4
lormahoykyd2007

Tivo Server error

I run the install and when it gets to starting services I get "Tivo desktop error - THe data is invalid" then the install completes, and says success. then i right click the tivo icon in the system tray with the red x and click restart the server and I get the error "Tivo Server Error - the data is invalid" then i get an error box that says the server did not start in a timely fashion. then i do the same thing and get tivo desktop error unable to start the service. I was running a "free version" of XP Pro with SP2 and it worked fine. I decided to reinstall my MCE 2002 version now I cannot get it to work.

Please tell me is there is an issue with an update or MCE 2002. I was going to update to vista, and buy the tivo plus edition, but not if I continue to have these problems.

PS I have tried the suggestions listed here and on other forums.
lormahoykyd2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:32 PM   #5
lormahoykyd2007

I hate to say that I was on the phone with Tivo for over an hour and they said it must be a problem with my machine. I reinstalled Win XP Pro and it worked. I reinstalled Win XP Media Center Edition on a separate drive and it didn't work. I have found a solution in using Galleon with media center edition. I point those of you who are having this problem, and don't want to run separate PC's or OS's to this approach. Also it is much better equipped that the Tivo Desktop. Hopefully they will look into this before they lose customers. I bought a 750 GB 4th HD today along with the PVR 350. As much as it pains me it may replace my Tivo.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:42 PM   #6
alansh

This sort of installer error is usually a problem with your system's VBScript support. Go to Start->Run, and enter regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\vbscript.dll . You should get a message that DllRegister was successful.
alansh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:16 AM   #7
lormahoykyd2007

I tried that got the desired message. However I still get the same error messages when trying to start the Tivo Desktop.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:54 AM   #8
windracer
joined the 10k club

I'm running TiVo Desktop on MCE without any problems.

Have you tried a clean re-install? Uninstall TiVo Desktop, then go through the registry and remove any references to TiVo Desktop. Also remove the C:\Program Files\TiVo, C:\Program Files\Common Files\TiVo Shared, and C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\TiVo Desktop folders.

Finally, have you tried installing 2.4?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:11 AM   #9
ajayabb

Could try this Windows utility for a clean uninstall. It worked for me

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
ajayabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:33 PM   #10
slang9

I tried all that, still no success

Can't install 2.3a
Can't install 2.5
"The installation ended prematurely because an error occurred."

Tried the cleanup of the PC, ran the MS cleanup utility
still get the installer error
Running Vista Business, and now can't play any AVI files in any player
WMP11, Real, Quicktime, VLC
I know the files are good because I can install any version of Tivo Desktop from those files on a XP machine, and can play the AVI files in any player on that machine, too.
Vista won't allow a removal, reinstall, or repair of WMP11.
So amu I just completely hosed?
slang9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:54 PM   #11
lormahoykyd2007

Still having problems

I had a problem last week. I ended up reinstalling everything 3 times. I went from a normal boot to a triple boot system. I still had the same problem with a fresh OS install. There is a problem here, but by god I have no clue what it is. At this point who cares. I have my tri boot system I have Galleon installed on all three so I have access to my Tivo recordings no matter which OS I am in, and it has better features. Tivo can keep their software. I even got my money back after I disputed the charge. On the letter Tivo sent to the bank for the dispute it said there was a severe programming issue between their program and recent Microsoft security updates. What does that tell you?.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:56 PM   #12
lormahoykyd2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by slang9
Can't install 2.3a
Can't install 2.5

I know the files are good because I can install any version of Tivo Desktop from those files on a XP machine, and can play the AVI files in any player on that machine, too.
Install the Ace codes package so that is rewritten, and use the beta version of Galleon for the Vista install. Or you could back up your documents and do a repair.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:44 AM   #13
jkalnin
Baad Spellor

I was having the same problems with mine. Once 2.5 crapped out I was unable to re-install 2.3, 2.4, or 2.5. I did a lot of things to fix this issue, but ultimately I believe that installing Galleon fixed the issue. Of course you can uninstall it right away, but it fixes whatever got broken in the bad Tivo Desktop installation. Once I had Galleon installed I was able to re-install 2.3a, and eventually I got the courage to try 2.5a again and this time it worked.

Seriously, install Galleon - restart your pc - then try to install tivo desktop 2.3a.

It may also be that I installed 2.2 first. If all else fails I will send you Desktop 2.2 because that worked and it has tivo-to-go on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slang9
Can't install 2.3a
Can't install 2.5

jkalnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:38 AM   #14
bvanduser

Fix for "Ended prematurely" error on Vista

I just posted a fix for this problem in the thread called " TiVo Desktop 2.5 - Vista and more" which you may want to browse.

I would provide the URL linking directly to my post but apparently you can't post URLs until after you have posted 5 times.

B
bvanduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #15
flabbergast

I know that this information is outdated, but it has just proven immensely helpful for me in my own issue.
flabbergast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:32 PM   #16
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by flabbergast View Post
I know that this information is outdated, but it has just proven immensely helpful for me in my own issue.
Good, now give us the details.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote