TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-30-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

“Ripper Street” - New series coming to BBC America

http://www.bbcamerica.com/ripper-street/

Quote:
“Ripper Street” is a riveting new crime series set to premiere within BBC America’s Dramaville on January 19, 2013 at 9/8c. The eight-part series is set in and around Whitechapel in London’s East End in 1889, during the aftermath of the infamous Jack the Ripper murders.

The series, created by “Mistresses” writer Richard Warlow, features a dynamic cast starring Matthew Macfadyen (“MI-5,” “Pride and Prejudice”), Jerome Flynn (“Game of Thrones”), Adam Rothenberg (“Alcatraz”), Myanna Buring (“The Twilight Saga,” “White Heat”) and David Dawson (“Luther,” “Secret Diary of a Call Girl”). The action centers on the notorious H Division, which is charged with keeping order in the all-consuming chaotic East London streets.
The first episode will air on BBC America on January 19, 2013.

FYI,

This has started airing in the U.K. and the first episode is available via magical means.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
Malcontent

Quite a bit of nudity in the first episode of the U.K. airing. It's going to be interesting to see how they edit it all out and for the BBC America broadcast.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
sieglinde

Blast!!! I guess things are only not cut on pay cable. I want to see things as the original director intended us to see it.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
Blast!!! I guess things are only not cut on pay cable.
Not necessarily. Most censoring on cable television is done purely by self-enforcement. As a subscriber service that does not use the public airwaves, the FCC currently cannot enforce decency restrictions on cable television the same way that they do on broadcast. This is how you see some of the "edgier" cable channels like FX, Spike, Comedy Central, etc. broadcast content that has more language, nudity, and violence than broadcast TV would ever allow.

It IS possible, but somewhat unlikely, that BBCA would air it unedited.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
Lee 2.0
Hoopy frood

This worth watching?
Lee 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
caslu

It was good for what it was... basically a procedural set in the 1800's. Not enough my cup of tea for a SP, but not bad either.
caslu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:13 PM   #7
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

CSI Whitechapel.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

I loved Copper. Hope this lives up to that.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
Malcontent

BBC America puts first three minutes of 'Ripper Street' on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=KZNchOta8hw
Old 01-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #10
Casual

Episode 2 was fantastic!

The actor from This is England and Misfits was Top Notch!
Casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #11
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
Quite a bit of nudity in the first episode of the U.K. airing. It's going to be interesting to see how they edit it all out and for the BBC America broadcast.
NOOOOOOOOooooooo!!!!!!!!
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:12 AM   #12
cheesesteak
Meh.

Anybody else still watching this show besides me? I really like it.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #13
Martha

We really like it as well. I always have to have captions on because I can't understand most of what they say.
Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #14
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Anybody else still watching this show besides me? I really like it.
I am watching and I enjoy it. There was one episode I quit about ten mins into it though because I was bored with the subject. It was the one with the workers strike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
We really like it as well. I always have to have captions on because I can't understand most of what they say.
I watch with captions on too! I understand most of what they say but some things I can't understand. Especially phrases or sayings that are unfamiliar because they are only common to the time period.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #15
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I got bored with it pretty quickly...just got to be the same old same-old, transplanting 21st-century CSI clichés to Victorian London and having the cast invent all of modern forensic science, week after week.

(It might not be a coincidence that this is the season I finally got so bored with CSI that I dropped it, too...)
Old 02-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #16
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I've seen like 3 episodes and enjoy it. I think I've got a few waiting to watch, but that's true of a lot of shows.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #17
mike_k

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I'm enjoying it as well - and have to use captions ...

I like it better than Copper - there are a lot of similarities between the two.
mike_k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #18
mike_k

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
There was one episode I quit about ten mins into it though because I was bored with the subject. It was the one with the workers strike.
If you still have this one you might want to watch it. There is some interesting backstory and the start of a possible sub-plot that might come up later.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #19
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I am watching and I enjoy it. There was one episode I quit about ten mins into it though because I was bored with the subject. It was the one with the workers strike.
This past weekend's episode? Are you from the future or has this show been broadcast somewhere else already?

Old 02-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #20
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
This past weekend's episode? Are you from the future or has this show been broadcast somewhere else already?
It's was airing in the U.K. It's a few episodes ahead of the U.S. broadcasts. The last episode of the season aired yesterday in the U.K.

BTW, The U.K. airings have all the nudity and language intact.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #21
mike_k

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
It's was airing in the U.K. It's a few episodes ahead of the U.S. broadcasts. The last episode of the season aired yesterday in the U.K.

BTW, The U.K. airings have all the nudity and language intact.
Do the U.K. airings have fewer commercial breaks? In the U.S. version there seem to be a lot of cuts in unnatural places - almost mid-scene sometimes.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #22
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_k View Post
Do the U.K. airings have fewer commercial breaks? In the U.S. version there seem to be a lot of cuts in unnatural places - almost mid-scene sometimes.
I get the episodes by magical means. Any commercials are already removed. I suspect the cuts are because of nudity. There is no way BBC America can air some episodes without a lot of editing. In some episodes, entire scenes have some kind of nudity in it.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #23
mike_k

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I get the episodes by magical means. Any commercials are already removed. I suspect the cuts are because of nudity. There is no way BBC America can air some episodes without a lot of editing. In some episodes, entire scenes have some kind of nudity in it.
Interesting. Do you get captions in your magical viewings? I'm not sure I could watch without them. Well, I'm sure I could watch, just not sure I could understand the story without them.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #24
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_k View Post
Interesting. Do you get captions in your magical viewings? I'm not sure I could watch without them. Well, I'm sure I could watch, just not sure I could understand the story without them.
No captions with magical viewings.

BTW,

The U.K. episodes average about 1 hour running time without any commercials. So, you should be able to get an idea how much content is edited out in the U.S. broadcast.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #25
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I got bored with it pretty quickly...just got to be the same old same-old, transplanting 21st-century CSI clichés to Victorian London and having the cast invent all of modern forensic science, week after week.

(It might not be a coincidence that this is the season I finally got so bored with CSI that I dropped it, too...)
You characterized Ripper well but the reason you dropped it is why I like it. I dropped CSI long ago when Ted Dansen joined so R St fills my CSI void. Like the setting and the characters. This strike episode is a bore though.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #26
Craigbob

I caught the 1st episode and liked enough to keep recording it. I have 3 or 4 stacked up on my DVR to catch up on when I run out of other things to watch. To me it comes across as a wannabe Copper (a show I really like) , so while this is not a bad thing, it is not same night must watch for me. Same as Justified. I love the show, the dialog the, story but it's not one of those that I feel I must watch right away. But I'll go through all my Justifieds in one marathon sitting and want more.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #27
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

And I hasten to add, my problems with the show have nothing to do with its quality...it's well-acted, well-written, well-filmed. I'm just so over the subject matter, and there's not enough else to overcome that.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:05 AM   #28
cheesesteak
Meh.

I find that the CSI stuff is usually only about five minutes or less of the whole show. Then again, I've never watched any of the CSIs so I don't know how much CSI stuff is in CSI.

I usually want to jump through the tv screen and punch all of the high class, hoity toity officials on this show.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #29
JohnB1000

Just finished watching them all, the British versions. Not for one minute did I view this as anything remotely like CSI until I read here (and I still don't). There was no more "morgue" work than there is in any cop related show (especially British one's).

It was a little slow to pick up for me but I was hooked by episode 3. I enjoyed it a lot. I thought they managed the end well though it was sad and disappointing.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #30
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I watched all of the first season and liked it also.