TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-23-2014, 08:58 AM   #1
buscuitboy

Question TiVO SD & HD menus

I have two Premieres hooked up to older TVs in a basement area. First one is a 4-tuner premiere hooked up to an old school 36" CRT Panasonic TV. While it can't display an HD quality picture, this Premiere allows me to use the HD style menus. Basically, the one with the live picture in the upper right area.

I have another 2-tuner Premiere hooked up to a 32" Sony CRT television. However, it will not display any kind of HD style menus like the 4-tuner model. It can ONLY display the old SD menus.

I thought the 2 were more or less the same, but maybe not. is there a reason I can't get the HD style menus on the 2-tuner like I can with the 4-tuner premiere (when they are both hooked up to SD sets)?
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #2
windracer
joined the 10k club

How are the TiVos connected to each TV? IIRC (and I could be wrong, it's been a while), you need to be using component or HDMI to get the HD menus. If you're using composite, you'll only get SD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:31 AM   #3
buscuitboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
How are the TiVos connected to each TV? IIRC (and I could be wrong, it's been a while), you need to be using component or HDMI to get the HD menus. If you're using composite, you'll only get SD.
I sort of thought the same thing, but the 4-tuner Premiere that is showing the HD style menus on the Panasonic is hooked up to regular composite connections.

The 2-tuner premiere that will display SD only type menus is actually hooked up to the component inputs of the Sony TV.

I know, doesn't make sense and the TOTAL opposite of what you would think it should be. Hence the reason I can't figure out why it is working this way
Old 04-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #4
windracer
joined the 10k club

That does seem weird. Unfortunately my Premier is turned off and in the closet so I don't have a box that I can check on, but there's a menu option (under Video, maybe) where you can switch between the SD and HDUI. Does that not work? What output resolution are you using?

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:54 AM   #5
telemark

I'm going to bet your video modes are turned off. Try running a video format test.

1. Settings > Video > Video Output Formats.

2. Test Formats

3. Report here

On mine running 20.3.8, if you enable 720p or above you can then enable HD menus. (yes, running AV cables which are carrying 480i to an old school CRT)

I believe what's going on btw is the AV ports are always scaling the other video outputs (by squishing).

Edit: Just realized you're using Component. That's probably not going to work, but that test will tell you. The reason is HD requires 720p software setting and over a component cable it will actually output 720p, which if the TV can handle, then you're fine. But if it can't you'll get no picture.

If you take all the same devices and connect it via the AV ports, it should work though, once you bump up the video settings on the Tivo.

Last edited by telemark : 04-27-2014 at 07:49 AM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:00 PM   #6
buscuitboy

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post

Edit: Just realized you're using Component. That's probably not going to work, but that test will tell you. The reason is HD requires 720p software setting and over a component cable it will actually output 720p, which if the TV can handle, then you're fine. But if it can't you'll get no picture.

If you take all the same devices and connect it via the AV ports, it should work though, once you bump up the video settings on the Tivo.
OK, this wound up being the problem. I switched the outputs to its composite inputs (like the Panasonic TV config) and was able to get it to work. I originally thought hooking up to composite inputs would give me a better picture quality and used it since it its available on the Sony, but I guess I sacrifice some features when doing so.

This Tivo is in a guest bedroom so not used too much. I actually like the speed of the SD menus better, but I recently got the Comcast Xfinity option on all my Premieres and this will not work in the SD menus, but works fine in the HD menu. Plus, I get the live TV preview feature. I guess there is a trade off here. Therefore, I guess I will keep it on HD menus for now. Thanks for the help