TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-20-2014, 10:58 PM   #1
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

The Amazing Race - "Donkeylicious" 4/20/2014 *spoilers*

So Brenchel U-turned Dave & Connor. I can't decide if I think that was a smart move or not. I guess from the standpoint of trying to ensure they got first place in the leg, it makes sense to U-turn the team closest behind you. But with the Cowboys having an Express Pass, I think that was pretty short sighted of Brenchel.

I think Dave & Connor absolutely would have U-turned the Cowboys if they weren't standing right there with them.

So this whole episode was basically a Dave & Connor love-fest. I'm curious what all of you who dislike them think after this episode. It sure made them seem like genuinely nice guys who just want to help everyone. Even Leo
& Jamal were very complementary of them despite being U-turned by them. I was a little surprised that the Country Girls just took off from the writing roadblock leaving Connor there to fend for himself after D&C had helped the girls get through the Detour.

Seems to me that the Globetrotters never had a chance in this leg. Sure, they left Rome at the same time as the Afghanimals, but they immediately got lost and were behind the rest of the leg. They really seem to enjoy themselves on the race, but of the remaining teams, I was glad to see them go because I think they had the least realistic shot of winning.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:18 PM   #2
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
So Brenchel U-turned Dave & Connor. I can't decide if I think that was a smart move or not.
I think it was short sighted of Brenchel to U-turn Dave & Connor because they wanted to win the leg. They should've been thinking more long term. I happen to think that Dave & Connor are one of the strongest team, so even if it was for the wrong reasons, I am ok with them using the U-turn.

Quote:
So this whole episode was basically a Dave & Connor love-fest ... It sure made them seem like genuinely nice guys who just want to help everyone. .
Except when they were making catty comments. "I told Connor this morning that Rachel was scary." He said that *before* they got u-turned. They are good people, but I think they did benefit from a good edit this week.

Quote:
Seems to me that the Globetrotters never had a chance in this leg. Sure, they left Rome at the same time as the Afghanimals, but they immediately got lost and were behind the rest of the leg.
That was their undoing. I couldn't believe how badly they got lost. The country singers get lost all the time too. They better be careful or that will be their undoing.

The Afghanimals are a different team from last season. I'm glad to see how they've changed. They're more enjoyable to watch this season.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:44 PM   #3
realityboy

I didn't get the love for Dave and Conner that the other teams had. The temper tantrum over being U-turned, bickering over who would do the roadblock, and almost giving up on the roadblock would have made any other team look bad.

I also don't get the hate for teams using the U-turn. It's part of the game. That said, I do understand that there is just something about Rachel that makes people hate her.
realityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:49 PM   #4
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by realityboy View Post
I didn't get the love for Dave and Conner that the other teams had. The temper tantrum over being U-turned, bickering over who would do the roadblock, and almost giving up on the roadblock would have made any other team look bad.
How dare they U-turn a 60 year old?

Good point, I forgot about the bickering before the roadblock. That was uncharacteristic of them. I was surprised about Connor talking about giving up and taking a penalty before even turning one sheet.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:49 PM   #5
verdugan

I have a question for people who know about TAR, when Connor was doing the roadblock and he said he would just take a penalty, how does the penalty work?
Old 04-21-2014, 12:03 AM   #6
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan View Post
I have a question for people who know about TAR, when Connor was doing the roadblock and he said he would just take a penalty, how does the penalty work?
Typically they get a four hour penalty if they don't complete a task.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:27 AM   #7
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Quote:
A couple weeks ago he threw a minor hissy when he was outrun to the finish line, mocking the other team for outrunning a 60 year old.

While I don't want to see a Survivor/BB style cut-throat version of TAR, this idea that all the teams should help one another is unreasonable. There is always someone in the back of the pack trying to make up time and you hurt them by helping the teams in front of them. It demonstrates a lack of fortitude when you placate some teams but screw those who are out of sight.

Now, if you have an alliance with someone--unspoken, temporary or otherwise--that's different. But, to simply expect help on principle is hysterical.
Fool Me Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:48 AM   #8
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
That got old fast.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:48 AM   #9
crazywater
USS TiVo NCC-1780

Quote:
Good point. I can't stand Brenchel but they were right to use the U-turn. I hate these teams that work together and then get all bent when some remembers that this is a race and they are trying to win a million dollars.

HR20-700
HR22-100
HR24-500
Pioneer DVR-810H
Sony SVR-3000 235hr
crazywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:50 AM   #10
FrodoB

Quote:
So Brenchel U-turned Dave & Connor. I can't decide if I think that was a smart move or not. I guess from the standpoint of trying to ensure they got first place in the leg, it makes sense to U-turn the team closest behind you. But with the Cowboys having an Express Pass, I think that was pretty short sighted of Brenchel.
Both my wife and I thought it was one of the stupidest U-Turns we've ever seen. (We're ruling out all of the "We're U-Turning you out of spite or for moral reasons" decisions.) From a purely strategic standpoint, it doesn't fall into the mental list of "reasonable" reasons to U-Turn that at least we mentally kick around:

1) Chance to take out a huge threat (D&C were substantially ahead of several other teams, so that possibility wasn't realistic at the time, even though D&C ended up falling to 5th)
2) Fighting for your own life (obvious)
3) No chance of other teams resenting you for it (blind U-Turns, a team everyone hates)
4) Too late in the race for #3 to make a realistic difference (U-Turn when there are four teams remaining, for example)
5) You just don't care, are running your own race regardless, and are fine if everyone despises you (they're not really that type of team)

So now, for the sake of $15,000, you have a giant target on your back and four really good teams who all hate you because you U-Turned a likeable (albeit slightly whiny) team. Bravo....

Quote:
I think Dave & Connor absolutely would have U-turned the Cowboys if they weren't standing right there with them.
I don't know that it was so much the fact that the Cowboys were standing right there as that the Cowboys probably told D&C that they had Express Pass'd the building leg, so you'd be choosing for guys who grew up on a ranch to do a riding task. Not really beneficial to your survival.
FrodoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:02 AM   #11
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

The Globetrotters really are terrible TAR players. But they are so likable that I just don't care.

I have to admit that when Dave (or was it Conner?) said that Rachel is scary looking I cracked up. And what's with Benden getting all religious? I didn't see that coming. He was way more annoying this episode than Rachel.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:05 AM   #12
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoB View Post

So now, for the sake of $15,000, you have a giant target on your back and four really good teams who all hate you because you U-Turned a likeable (albeit slightly whiny) team. Bravo....
I doubt they care at all. What are the consequences of other teams "hating you"? Now they really really want to beat you in the race win a million dollars?

It's a race, not a friendship competition. Even if all they did was guarantee they win the leg, $15,000 is a great payoff for using a game mechanic.

It's not like Dave and Connor took the high road and decided not to U-Turn someone else.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:12 AM   #13
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Everyone is overlooking the fact that Brenchel had decided that they were going to U-turn the Cowboys, forcing them to use the Express Pass (which they had to do anyway, but that doesn't matter). Then, at the last minute, they, or should I say Brendon, decided that D&C were a much better move.

In reality, it made little difference to the finishing order, but I'm betting dollars to donuts that with hindsight, the Cowboys wish they had left it until the calligraphy leg to use the EP - U-turn or not!!
Old 04-21-2014, 08:20 AM   #14
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
So this whole episode was basically a Dave & Connor love-fest. I'm curious what all of you who dislike them think after this episode. It sure made them seem like genuinely nice guys who just want to help everyone.
They are nice guys... who drive me even crazier after this episode.

My biggest pet peeves on the Race are:

1. People who complain about others using Race mechanics against them
2. People who complain about others not helping them or telling them where things are

That is all they did all episode long... complain complain complain about Brenchel for not telling them where to find the clue at the stairs and U-Turning them.

This isn't Mormon sing along camp where everyone helps each other out... it is a race for a million bucks.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:23 AM   #15
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
The country singers get lost all the time too.
I was dying laughing at that scene near the beginning where the country singers are in the car talking about how they are such a strong all girl team. Are you kidding me?!!? Every episode it is either them getting lost driving to something or them getting help from some other team to finish their tasks.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #16
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Flight Time and Big Easy have never been great racers. But as someone mentioned they are likable and they seem to always have fun.

Brenden and Rachel made it sound like they u-turned Dave and Conner to improve their chances to win the race. BS. They did it to improve their chances at winning the leg because it was highly unlikely that Dave and Connor would be eliminated by it.

While they did argue about doing the task and Dave used the 60 year old line a few times they are still one of my favorite teams. The previous week when they let the country girls step on the mat before them. Helping the country girls with the donkey. Keeping their word and helping Leo and Jamal after u-turning them. Maybe next week they will reveal themselves to be bad guys but so far I like them still.

Oh, I found it amusing that Rachel was the one that was so confident of her artistic abilities and was the only one that they showed having her calligraphy being rejected. Oh, and could we have gotten more shots of Brenden praying and had him mention God a few more times.

Loved that the monks donned the Cowboy hats!

I am still rooting for the Cowboys or Dave and Connor.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:21 AM   #17
brianric

Quote:
My response to Dave is if you're complaining about your age you're too old to play.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:22 AM   #18
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
Everyone is overlooking the fact that Brenchel had decided that they were going to U-turn the Cowboys, forcing them to use the Express Pass (which they had to do anyway, but that doesn't matter). Then, at the last minute, they, or should I say Brendon, decided that D&C were a much better move.
Brenchel's original decision to U-turn the Cowboys was specifically because they had to use their EP. Play it on them, and they still have to do one side of the detour. Don't play it on them and they get to skip the detour entirely. That's why I was surprised everyone let the Cowboys off the hook.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:32 AM   #19
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I always wonder how bad I or others would come out if left to the whims of the TAR editors.

This episode was a bit of a love fest and their was not a lot of actual drama as to who was going to finish in what order so my guess is the editors ramped up the whole Brenchel/Dave Connor, They u-turned a 60 year old man drama.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:33 AM   #20
VegasVic
Craps Player

Quote:

Giant target on your back? I don't get that line of thinking. This isn't Survivor where you need votes to win. Who cares if other teams 'all hate you". It doesn't matter in this game/race. There have been plenty of teams that won TAR that other teams didn't like.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:39 AM   #21
FrodoB

Quote:
Brenchel's original decision to U-turn the Cowboys was specifically because they had to use their EP. Play it on them, and they still have to do one side of the detour. Don't play it on them and they get to skip the detour entirely. That's why I was surprised everyone let the Cowboys off the hook.
This. Brenchel's original plan was the exact right one to my mind: force the Cowboys (on whom an hour lead is often far from enough) to do at least one thing, and hope they finally make a mistake. Alternatively, pick a reasonably strong team that's not yet at the detour (and given who's left, it's got to be the Afghanimals in that spot) and hope you eliminate them. They got emotional with D&C on their tails and made a move which is less likely to lead to long-term gain. Sure, $15,000 is nothing to sneeze at, but $1,000,000 is the goal, and U-Turning the guys right behind you doesn't gain you a great deal. Now, granted, both halves of that detour were not tremendously difficult, so the correct strategic move may have amounted to very little actual gain.

Again the Cowboys impressed me, though. They knew exactly what should have happened (a U-Turn to make them "waste" the Express Pass) and picked the side of the detour to EP that they knew would be worse for them, anticipating that they could easily get through the riding task.

The inevitable bunch-up at the airport next week should be... interesting.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:44 AM   #22
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Brenden and Rachel made it sound like they u-turned Dave and Conner to improve their chances to win the race. BS. They did it to improve their chances at winning the leg because it was highly unlikely that Dave and Connor would be eliminated by it.
I'm not going to go back because CBS's online thing has too many ads and plays them every time you try and move around in the video to find the part you're trying to find, but I thought it was pretty clear from the exchange between Brendan and Rachel that he changed his mind to improve their chances of winning the leg. I seem to specifically remember him asking her if she wanted to win this leg, and mentioning something about how they weren't going to be eliminated.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #23
FrodoB

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
Giant target on your back? I don't get that line of thinking. This isn't Survivor where you need votes to win. Who cares if other teams 'all hate you". It doesn't matter in this game/race. There have been plenty of teams that won TAR that other teams didn't like.
Fair enough, but Brenchel's not a strong individual team. They've been relying often on someone helping them at critical junctures, and now they've pretty much ensured that the other teams will be leaving them twisting in the wind (or actively hinder them as much as the race rules allow) whenever possible. And both of them tend to have mental breakdowns on occasion. It just doesn't seem like a smart move for a team like them to be guaranteeing several enemies. Not saying it guarantees their elimination or anything like that, by any means.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #24
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
The inevitable bunch-up at the airport next week should be... interesting.
Yeah, basically there are what? 4 teams that seem to like and respect each other (Dave and Connor, Country Girls, Leo and Jamal and the Cowboys) and one team that they all seem to have a gripe with.

I would be happy to see Brenden and Rachel lose next week and see the other 4 make it to the final episodes, which is shocking when you consider how much I disliked Leo and Jamal last season.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:55 AM   #25
VegasVic
Craps Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Yeah, basically there are what? 4 teams that seem to like and respect each other (Dave and Connor, Country Girls, Leo and Jamal and the Cowboys) and one team that they all seem to have a gripe with.

I would be happy to see Brenden and Rachel lose next week and see the other 4 make it to the final episodes, which is shocking when you consider how much I disliked Leo and Jamal last season.
Agreed. One team I don't like and 4 I do. I couldn't stand Leo and Jamal at the beginning of last season but I liked them by the end and they've been fun to watch this season. I guess if I had to rank who I want to win it would be 1. L&J , 2. Country Girls (I don't think they have a chance but weaker teams have won before), 3. Cowboys, 4. Dave & Connor
Old 04-21-2014, 10:18 AM   #26
Azlen

Quote:
Fair enough, but Brenchel's not a strong individual team. They've been relying often on someone helping them at critical junctures, and now they've pretty much ensured that the other teams will be leaving them twisting in the wind (or actively hinder them as much as the race rules allow) whenever possible. And both of them tend to have mental breakdowns on occasion. It just doesn't seem like a smart move for a team like them to be guaranteeing several enemies. Not saying it guarantees their elimination or anything like that, by any means.
But we're at a point in the race where everyone is going to be playing an individual game. Anyone who is going to depend on help from anyone else is not going to do well regardless. Now it is possible for one team to help another team out at Brenchel's expense but that is also not guaranteed and probably worth the risk to get the 15k.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #27
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

My main gripe with Leo and Jamal is the way they seem to make fun of the people in the country they are in. They may not do it on purpose, but putting on a fake accent and acting like the American stereotype of the locals could be seen as demeaning. I'm sure, like most Americans, they don't realize it, but it bugs me a bit.

I would still like to see the Cowboys win but I've be happy if it was the girls or even D&C. Just as long as it's NOT Brenchel. Remember, if they win, they breed!!
Old 04-21-2014, 12:27 PM   #28
type_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
They are nice guys... who drive me even crazier after this episode.

2. People who complain about others not helping them or telling them where things are

That is all they did all episode long... complain complain complain about Brenchel for not telling them where to find the clue at the stairs and U-Turning them.

This isn't Mormon sing along camp where everyone helps each other out... it is a race for a million bucks.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

It is a COMPETITION, in any competition people aren't helping each other. In a spelling bee you see the nerdy Indian helping the nerdy Oriental NO ( not being racist just stereotyping ), in basketball you see a player admitting he fouled a guy if he didn't get called for it nope. So i think all this WHINING and bitching that " OH YOU UTURNED A 60 year old" is plain stupid. Old guy is basically claiming AGEISM now for uturning a 60 year old.

Brenchel are playing the game right in my opinion. who knows how far you can go at least win one leg at a time which they set out to do after coming in last few legs ago. This season is shaping up nicely
Old 04-21-2014, 12:39 PM   #29
type_g

In the end it is gonna be the 4 "NICE" teams going at each other and someone will get stabbed in the back for being to nice.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #30
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by type_g View Post
You took the words right out of my mouth.

It is a COMPETITION, in any competition people aren't helping each other. In a spelling bee you see the nerdy Indian helping the nerdy Oriental NO ( not being racist just stereotyping ), in basketball you see a player admitting he fouled a guy if he didn't get called for it nope. So i think all this WHINING and bitching that " OH YOU UTURNED A 60 year old" is plain stupid. Old guy is basically claiming AGEISM now for uturning a 60 year old.

Brenchel are playing the game right in my opinion. who knows how far you can go at least win one leg at a time which they set out to do after coming in last few legs ago. This season is shaping up nicely

YES!! 10000% YES!!! I was yelling at the TV: ITS A RACE. Of course you should NOT help a team by telling them where to get a clue. And OF COURSE you should U-turn anyone you think might give you an advantage. And the team being U-turned should accept it as the rules of the race and not take it personally. Some one else wrote if a team is making a big deal about U-turning a 60 year old then that person should NOT be racing!!

Now whether or not Brenchel should have U-turned one team or another we can all debate at length but I was actually cheering them on. (I never saw them on Big Brother so I don't hate them as much as some others do!) Frankly I would have U-turned the Cowboys but I'm not the one that's racing!!

Still pretty interesting as most of the teams are pretty good competitors.

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote