Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-06-2014, 07:21 PM   #1
unclespam

Can't Watch Now Error for Both Live and Recorded Items

Greetings Folks:

I'm at the end of my rope with this one:

I have a Premier XL4 and a Tivo Mini, connected via MoCa.

I have manually set the IP addresses and subnets. Both units connect and show that they are connected to a peer on the diagnosis screen.

Tivo Central on the Mini lists my recorded shows and the programming guide, but I get a "Can't Watch Now" message regardless of whether I try to view live TV or a recording.

I have rebooted both machines, taken screen shots to make sure that I have both on the same submnet. I just can't figure out why the Mini will no longer work for Live TV and recorded shows. I can watch Netflix through the Mini, which is what really confounds me.

I would appreciate any advice or help you can provide.

Many thanks!
unclespam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #2
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Here's some straws to grasp at, but they're all very low probability:

1. Check that the Mini host is properly assigned (remove it and reassign it if you can).

2. Check that both machines have the same MAK.

3. How is the MoCa network setup? Can there be a faulty router in the way? Some routers do not properly forward some types of packets (mDNS packets in particular). There are other possible router errors.

4. Did you go to static IP addresses to try and solve this particular problem, or was there some other reason? Lots of folks here swear by static IP addresses; I'm not one of them. They often help, but in almost all cases the fact that DHCP did not work is due to some other network problem that will still exist even after the static IP work-around.

5. Having proper IP addresses and masks is not enough to ensure they are on the same subnet (especially if assigned statically). What diagnosis screen did you use, and can that peer be used to gather more info on your network (eg, does it see broadcast packets coming in from both TiVos, and are they coming in on the same network interface?)

6, Have you checked your account at tivo.com to make sure that the machines have proper sharing permissions set up?

7. It sounds like the Mini was working at some point - is that true and what changed around the time it stopped working?
Old 05-07-2014, 04:07 PM   #3
unclespam

Thanks Crispy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
Here's some straws to grasp at, but they're all very low probability:

1. Check that the Mini host is properly assigned (remove it and reassign it if you can). Did This!

2. Check that both machines have the same MAK. Did This!

3. How is the MoCa network setup? Can there be a faulty router in the way? Some routers do not properly forward some types of packets (mDNS packets in particular). There are other possible router errors. Diagnostics show that both units are on the same MoCa channel and exchanging packets. Diagnostics also shows that all ports are properly setup on the router.

4. Did you go to static IP addresses to try and solve this particular problem, or was there some other reason? Lots of folks here swear by static IP addresses; I'm not one of them. They often help, but in almost all cases the fact that DHCP did not work is due to some other network problem that will still exist even after the static IP work-around. I did the static IP address thing because it seemed to work for everyone else.

5. Having proper IP addresses and masks is not enough to ensure they are on the same subnet (especially if assigned statically). What diagnosis screen did you use, and can that peer be used to gather more info on your network (eg, does it see broadcast packets coming in from both TiVos, and are they coming in on the same network interface?) I manually assigned the same subnet and both Tivos diagnosis screens reflect that they're on the same one. Are they on the same network interface? I don't know...they both show on as attached on the router on the router interface.

6, Have you checked your account at tivo.com to make sure that the machines have proper sharing permissions set up? Yes!

7. It sounds like the Mini was working at some point - is that true and what changed around the time it stopped working?
I changed my Roku from wireless to wired. As soon as I did that, all hell broke loose. If I connect the Mini via wired ethernet from my connection across the room, it works fine. If I connect it to the closest wired ethernet connection, it'll work for a while, then I'll get the "Can't Watch Now" message at the end of the program that I'm watching. For some reason, the only way that I can get the Mini to work is to use the across the room wired ethernet (which crosses a doorway, so it's not the optimal solution)...for some reason, MoCa doesn't seem to work for recorded or live programming but it does work for Netflix.

Crispy...thank you so much for taking the time to help me get to the bottom of this. I really appreciate your ideas and input!
unclespam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

One more possibility is that one of your TiVos is getting packets from two different interfaces (either MoCa plus wireless or MoCa plus ethernet)

I know there was a Roamio failure mode where it failed to give up it's wireless interface when attempting to switch over to wired, and the symptoms were somewhat similar to yours (some network functions would reliably work and others wouldn't).

Then there's also the dual to that: two devices getting the same IP address, either because your DHCP server assigned another device to one of your static IP addresses (you need to make sure that doesn't happen by your choice of static IP addresses), or because you have multiple DHCP servers (unlikely in your latest setup due to the static IP addresses, but could have caused your initial problems).