TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-29-2014, 11:25 AM   #1
GPT999

Weaknees Roamio 4 tb extern upgrade

Ok, yes, I know all the comments on using the external drive, extra point of failures, why you need this much space, etc.

I am interested to hear from anyone did the 3TB internal upgrade along with the Weaknees 4TB external drive to give a 7TB total storage. Any problems encountered? How much have you used and notice and slowness issues...

Thanks!
GPT999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:36 AM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPT999 View Post
Ok, yes, I know all the comments on using the external drive, extra point of failures, why you need this much space, etc.

I am interested to hear from anyone did the 3TB internal upgrade along with the Weaknees 4TB external drive to give a 7TB total storage. Any problems encountered? How much have you used and notice and slowness issues...

Thanks!
I thought the only DIY Weaknees option with 4TB is the 4TB internal drive + 4TB external drive? They ship you both and you can install them. But to use just the Weaknees 4TB external, you have to send the entire TiVo to them. At least this is what is shown on their website.

EDIT: Maybe something is messed up on their website. They list the Plus and Basic as needing to ship your TiVo to them to install a 4TB drive. But on the Pro they list that you can just install the 4TB drive yourself. So that doesn't sound right.

EDIT: I was misreading something. To add just a 4TB external drive, you have to ship the TiVo to Weaknees. If you just replace the internal to a 4TB or replace the internal to 4TB while adding an external 4TB, they can send the drives for a DIY install.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 04-29-2014 at 11:42 AM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:00 PM   #3
GPT999

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I thought the only DIY Weaknees option with 4TB is the 4TB internal drive + 4TB external drive? They ship you both and you can install them. But to use just the Weaknees 4TB external, you have to send the entire TiVo to them. At least this is what is shown on their website.

EDIT: Maybe something is messed up on their website. They list the Plus and Basic as needing to ship your TiVo to them to install a 4TB drive. But on the Pro they list that you can just install the 4TB drive yourself. So that doesn't sound right.

EDIT: I was misreading something. To add just a 4TB external drive, you have to ship the TiVo to Weaknees. If you just replace the internal to a 4TB or replace the internal to 4TB while adding an external 4TB, they can send the drives for a DIY install.

Yup, You need to send the unit to Weaknees for this upgrade, can do 2 TB or 4 TB external added.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:11 PM   #4
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Not to dis Weaknees but if you want just the single 4tb upgrade, dvr dude on eBay has them cheaper. Not sure if you bought two of his kits and added the second to external esata box if such would work but dvr dude would be able to tell you.

I would buy the double 8tb solution if the drive prep was available to the general TiVo public, I would be scared to death something would happen to the drive and I would be forced to buy a new kit rather than to fix it myself with just buying a blank 4tb drive.

Yea 8Tb is a mind boggling amount of recordings but think about how long it would be before you started worrying about running out of storage.....

Now allow a raid 5 or higher disk array to the external esata and I would all over that in a heartbeat.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

I forgot about DVR_Dude. I remember buying several drives from him years ago and was very satisfied. If there would have been 4TB drives out for the Roamio when it launched I would have considered it. But I guess I'll stick with the 3TB drive in my Pro. Even with DVR_Dude's lower price, there is still a hefty price premium.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:23 AM   #6
GPT999

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
Not to dis Weaknees but if you want just the single 4tb upgrade, dvr dude on eBay has them cheaper. Not sure if you bought two of his kits and added the second to external esata box if such would work but dvr dude would be able to tell you.

I would buy the double 8tb solution if the drive prep was available to the general TiVo public, I would be scared to death something would happen to the drive and I would be forced to buy a new kit rather than to fix it myself with just buying a blank 4tb drive.

Yea 8Tb is a mind boggling amount of recordings but think about how long it would be before you started worrying about running out of storage.....

Now allow a raid 5 or higher disk array to the external esata and I would all over that in a heartbeat.
Yeah, I emailed dvr_dude and you can only use the 4TB HDD from them as a replacement to the internal drive.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #7
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I forgot about DVR_Dude. I remember buying several drives from him years ago and was very satisfied. If there would have been 4TB drives out for the Roamio when it launched I would have considered it. But I guess I'll stick with the 3TB drive in my Pro. Even with DVR_Dude's lower price, there is still a hefty price premium.
Having never dealed with him, his price doesn't appear too bad, $269 is what he is asking, first look at Amazon.com shows WD AV-GP WD40EURX drive for $178 so the difference of $90 is what it costs for something that only perhaps only two people selling them in the world know how to do? On top of that, you get to keep your old drive, with Weaknees, don't they require you to exchange drives or is that just when you ship your Tivo to them and have them do the technical work of using a screw driver instead of you taking the risk of straining your wrist. (OK I'm dissing weakness now....).

What is strange to me is why the process to prep the drive hasn't become public yet, there had to be inside technical help from inside Tivo, not for the entire process but to put someone on the right direction. As far as markup goes, who knows perhaps it takes hours to prep a drive but then again it might be simple a writing a 4k block to the mbr.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:56 PM   #8
GPT999

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
Having never dealed with him, his price doesn't appear too bad, $269 is what he is asking, first look at Amazon.com shows WD AV-GP WD40EURX drive for $178 so the difference of $90 is what it costs for something that only perhaps only two people selling them in the world know how to do? On top of that, you get to keep your old drive, with Weaknees, don't they require you to exchange drives or is that just when you ship your Tivo to them and have them do the technical work of using a screw driver instead of you taking the risk of straining your wrist. (OK I'm dissing weakness now....).

What is strange to me is why the process to prep the drive hasn't become public yet, there had to be inside technical help from inside Tivo, not for the entire process but to put someone on the right direction. As far as markup goes, who knows perhaps it takes hours to prep a drive but then again it might be simple a writing a 4k block to the mbr.
I decided to do the Weaknees 4 TB external HDD option, I will be sending my new unit to them. I bought the roamio plus from different source and will be upgrading the internal to 3 TB myself before sending it to weaknees, keeping the original 1 TB drive. Will keep posting how it goes and if I see any problems out of the "norm".

As far as losing everything if the external drive fails, well if it happens I will look at it as a chance to start over and won't be feeling guilty about not watching all those recordings I had on the drives Anyone else start to feel like you are not getting your work done as the recordings pile up?
Old 04-30-2014, 04:07 PM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

I don't even come anywhere close to watching half of what I record.

My only issue with having more storage on the Roamio would be the organization. It was bad enough when I had 2TB drivewith the Elites, and it's even worse now with my 3TB drive in the Roamio PRo. But I couldn't imgaine having 7TB or 8TB of storage without having better organization. For instance if they had enabled profiles, that would help me a great deal in organizing my recordings. I would have a profile for News, cable shows, network shows, movies, etc. instead of everything being all jumbled together and having to go through many pages of recordings to find what i want.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:00 PM   #10
dinglehart

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPT999 View Post

Thanks!
I am usually more of a lurker on the forums but since no one has actually responded to your question, I thought I would comment. I have a Roamio with a 4TB internal and a 4TB external set up for a total of 8TB. As of today, I am at 44% of capacity. I am one that prefers to binge watch most things so I often save up a season or two of a show before watching. I am also somewhat of an old movie fan so I have a lot of movies saved up for when I have time. To this day, I have not had one issue with the system. I will say though that I did buy the Roamio in the config from Weaknees rather than upgrading it myself but so far, as I said, flawless.
Sony 55" LED TV
KEF KHT 2005 Speaker System
XBOX 360
dinglehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:20 AM   #11
cosmicvoid
Tivo noob

More redundant data:
When I got my Roamio Basic, I dropped in a 3TB with no issues, but was disappointed that an external 3TB wasn't recognized. I should have done more reserch on that, but the Roamio update phenomenum was still kind of new at the time.

Since my wife likes to save everything (we have 9TB on a Win7 MC box, all nearly full ), I decided to bite the bullet and ordered the Weaknees 4TB + 4TB, and installed it myself. No issues whatsoever, after 6 months of use (I think they're about 30~40% full now; I haven't checked lately). No particular "slowness" issues that I can tell.
cosmicvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:48 PM   #12
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinglehart View Post
I am usually more of a lurker on the forums but since no one has actually responded to your question, I thought I would comment. I have a Roamio with a 4TB internal and a 4TB external set up for a total of 8TB. As of today, I am at 44% of capacity. I am one that prefers to binge watch most things so I often save up a season or two of a show before watching. I am also somewhat of an old movie fan so I have a lot of movies saved up for when I have time. To this day, I have not had one issue with the system. I will say though that I did buy the Roamio in the config from Weaknees rather than upgrading it myself but so far, as I said, flawless.
49 posts in 12 years. Man of few words!

Dumb (?) question. Pretty sure I know the answer but is there any way to clone an existing drive such that I won't lose existing recordings if I get the 4+4 to install myself?
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote