TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #31
rjay717
Registered User
 
rjay717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: melissa, tx
Posts: 345
TC CLUB MEMBER
From the horse's mouth:
Quote:
Craig Ferguson: ‘I Wanted to Leave the Show Before I Stopped Enjoying It’
http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/crai...ve-1201166239/
rjay717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:36 PM   #32
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules
 
NorthAlabama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: rocket city, al
Posts: 3,099
i always liked ferguson's personality, stand-up routines, and his humor, and thought his approach with interviews and the show was great. i'm glad he's leaving on his own terms and was able to clear up speculation.
__________________


The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:44 PM   #33
jamesl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjay717 View Post
he's not the horse
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:11 PM   #34
Inundated
Face For Radio
 
Inundated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 21,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
I read an interview with Josh Robert Thompson (Geoff's voice). He said other than the bit where he takes them to commercial, the rest between he and Craig is totally unscripted.
I had no idea who does Geoff's voice, or that he's originally from Cleveland.

You'd think the media around here would have pounded that into the ground by now, but maybe I just missed it.
Inundated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #35
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: N.E. GA
Posts: 2,445
Does anyone else think the show has gone downhill recently? I find myself fast forwarding through more and more of the show. I only used to do that with dull guests.

I could delete my season pass but there are still occasional bright spots.
ScubaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:36 PM   #36
trainman
Nice to see you
 
trainman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA, USA
Posts: 9,337
Word is that Craig's replacement will be British actor James Corden.

I didn't recognize the name, but I did recognize the face upon seeing photos of him. (He's appeared on "Doctor Who.")

Guess someone at CBS didn't get too far past Stephen Colbert in their Rolodex.
__________________
trainman is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:04 PM   #37
JYoung
Series 3
 
JYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,705
That's a very odd pick if true as he has virtually no recognition in the US.
At least Ferguson was on a hit TV series for a number of years prior to his late night gig.
__________________
Member of the TiVoShanan Fan Club!

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:17 PM   #38
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 38,028
Who is James Corden?
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:53 PM   #39
JohnB1000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,294
Yes a very strange pick. He has some great stuff as a comedy guy though. His "Smitty" with the England soccer team was great.
__________________
XBOX Live GamerTag - PotatoMagnet
JohnB1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #40
nirisahn
Registered User
 
nirisahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Denver area
Posts: 6,968
I loved him in Gavin and Stacey and in Doctor Who. I've never seen any of his stand-up, so I don't know how quickly he thinks on his feet. The times I've seen him being interviewed he's been very funny. It's an interesting choice.
nirisahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #41
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 38,028
I was really hoping to see this slot used for either a woman or minority (or both) to get into the network late-night game. I really think Aisha Tyler would be great, but I have no idea if she'd be interested in something like that.

And there is still the simple business reality that the vast majority of TV viewers in the US are white and are more comfortable watching other white people on TV. So while hiring a woman or minority to host this show would get lots of positive press and earn CBS lots of kudos in Hollywood and New York, in the end, CBS is still a national network that has to succeed by offering shows that appeal to the widest possible demographic. So unfortunately, I'll bet the suits at CBS are a little scared to hire anyone other than a white male for this slot. They'll never get canned for just attempting to continue the status quo.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #42
USAFSSO
Registered User
 
USAFSSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 835
I have been thinking he has been "phoning" it in lately (and literally).
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
USAFSSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:45 AM   #43
Bob Coxner
Registered User
 
Bob Coxner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFSSO View Post
I have been thinking he has been "phoning" it in lately (and literally).
Also it seems they pre-recorded a couple of weeks worth of shows. The monologues rarely mention current events and the guests are constantly being reminded which month it supposedly is.

I love Gavin and Stacey. Corden is the creator and head writer of it and his Smithy character is very funny. I'm guessing he'll do a good job with Late, Late.
__________________
Sceptre 40" X405BV-FHD3
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:58 AM   #44
DaveMN
Registered User
 
DaveMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
Also it seems they pre-recorded a couple of weeks worth of shows. The monologues rarely mention current events and the guests are constantly being reminded which month it supposedly is.
Yeah- this lessens the enjoyment for me as well. Also, the "phone call" bit has run its course. It's the same thing every night. I think the show is now on auto-pilot until December.
DaveMN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:28 AM   #45
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 6,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I was really hoping to see this slot used for either a woman or minority (or both) to get into the network late-night game. I really think Aisha Tyler would be great, but I have no idea if she'd be interested in something like that.

And there is still the simple business reality that the vast majority of TV viewers in the US are white and are more comfortable watching other white people on TV. So while hiring a woman or minority to host this show would get lots of positive press and earn CBS lots of kudos in Hollywood and New York, in the end, CBS is still a national network that has to succeed by offering shows that appeal to the widest possible demographic. So unfortunately, I'll bet the suits at CBS are a little scared to hire anyone other than a white male for this slot. They'll never get canned for just attempting to continue the status quo.
Arsenio has a late night show again. I don't know what network it's on. It seems that they have tried females and minorities in the past. Remember Arsenio round 1? Or what about Magic Johnson? Or Joan Rivers? Now, both of them were horrible, but so was Pat Sajack and so was Chevy Chase.
__________________
Nothing Can Kill The Grimace
Frylock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #46
lambertman
Not single!
 
lambertman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
Arsenio has a late night show again. I don't know what network it's on.
It was syndicated, but it's been cancelled. They renewed it originally, but got timeslot downgrades in the big markets so they changed their mind.
__________________
"People should get beat up for stating their beliefs" - TMBG

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #47
nirisahn
Registered User
 
nirisahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Denver area
Posts: 6,968
Has anyone seen or heard an official announcement from CBS? I've seen stuff on other places about James Corden being the new host, but nothing from anywhere related to CBS.
nirisahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:12 PM   #48
Bob Coxner
Registered User
 
Bob Coxner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirisahn View Post
Has anyone seen or heard an official announcement from CBS? I've seen stuff on other places about James Corden being the new host, but nothing from anywhere related to CBS.
Given the 100's of news stories saying it will be Corden, and not a single denial from CBS, I would take it as official as these things get. My guess is they are wrapping up the details of the contract and won't say anything officially until that's concluded.
__________________
Sceptre 40" X405BV-FHD3
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:30 PM   #49
Cainebj
Registered User
 
Cainebj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 2,768
Corden also had a pretty huge smash hit on Broadway recently and won a Tony Award for his performance.
And he was supposed to be doing a revival of A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum this season.

I think he has done a fair amount of hosting gigs in the UK so I see why they would pick him - I just don't see why he would want to take it - it seems like it will kill his acting career. Maybe he's thinking it will give him a broader US audience.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:25 PM   #50
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 17,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
It was syndicated, but it's been cancelled. They renewed it originally, but got timeslot downgrades in the big markets so they changed their mind.
Yeah, several weeks ago, I was actually going to post a "Did Arsenio take an unusually long vacation or something?" thread here.. but googled it and realized it was cancelled. The funny thing is, they're still running reruns, I guess until Sept when new shows premiere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirisahn View Post
Has anyone seen or heard an official announcement from CBS? I've seen stuff on other places about James Corden being the new host, but nothing from anywhere related to CBS.
I didn't read the story, but I saw the headline from a story where Moonves acknowledged that they were talking to Corden.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:42 PM   #51
Cainebj
Registered User
 
Cainebj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 2,768
well. that answers that.

i guess 28 million dollars will make anyone give up their acting career.

http://nypost.com/2014/08/08/cordens...forum-revival/
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:19 PM   #52
TonyD79
Registered User
 
TonyD79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
well. that answers that. i guess 28 million dollars will make anyone give up their acting career. http://nypost.com/2014/08/08/cordens...forum-revival/
He is only 35. Four years, he is 40ish with an American audience added to his resume.
__________________
Tony D
TonyD79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:27 PM   #53
JYoung
Series 3
 
JYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
He is only 35. Four years, he is 40ish with an American audience added to his resume.
I get why he would take the job. I'm still unsure of why CBS is offering him the job though.
__________________
Member of the TiVoShanan Fan Club!

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:06 AM   #54
GoPackGo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,206
CBS realizes that 12:30 is no man's land. Craig's quirky show did well enough, why not keep the quirky going with this guy?
GoPackGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:22 PM   #55
JYoung
Series 3
 
JYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPackGo View Post
CBS realizes that 12:30 is no man's land. Craig's quirky show did well enough, why not keep the quirky going with this guy?
Because Joe Sixpack has no idea who this guy is.
At least Seth Myers is known.

On the other hand, neither was Conan O'Brien and NBC still groomed him for the Tonight Show (but we all know how well that worked out).

Maybe CBS is going to see whom they can grow in that timeslot as I'm guessing Colbert won't get going anywhere anytime soon.
__________________
Member of the TiVoShanan Fan Club!

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:50 PM   #56
TonyD79
Registered User
 
TonyD79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Because Joe Sixpack has no idea who this guy is. At least Seth Myers is known. On the other hand, neither was Conan O'Brien and NBC still groomed him for the Tonight Show (but we all know how well that worked out). Maybe CBS is going to see whom they can grow in that timeslot as I'm guessing Colbert won't get going anywhere anytime soon.
Craig ferguson despite being on Drew Carey was unknown by J6pk.

This is small time ratings land.
__________________
Tony D
TonyD79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:03 AM   #57
JYoung
Series 3
 
JYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Craig ferguson despite being on Drew Carey was unknown by J6pk.
I'm guessing that you're disagreeing just to disagree because there is a big difference here in terms of Q Score.

Joe Sixpack may or may not have known Ferguson's name but if you said "the guy who plays the English Boss on the Drew Carey Show", they would have known who you were talking about.

Whereas if you say to Joe Sixpack, "the guy who won the Tony Award for 'One Man, Two Guvnors'", you'll most definitely get a blank look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
This is small time ratings land.
Of course it is. And because it is, that's where they try these moves, to see what works and what doesn't.
And who could replace Colbert down the road.
__________________
Member of the TiVoShanan Fan Club!

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #58
Ozzie72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
I'm guessing that you're disagreeing just to disagree because there is a big difference here in terms of Q Score. Joe Sixpack may or may not have known Ferguson's name but if you said "the guy who plays the English Boss on the Drew Carey Show", they would have known who you were talking about. Whereas if you say to Joe Sixpack, "the guy who won the Tony Award for 'One Man, Two Guvnors'", you'll most definitely get a blank look.
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that just about as many people are familiar with Doctor Who at this point as were familiar with The Drew Carey Show when Craig Ferguson got the job. "Joe Sixpack", on the other hand, is likely to have heard of neither man. Once CBS hires Bill Engvall or one of the Lizard Lick Towing guys to host, then Joe will be on the loop. Personally, I think CBS missed an opportunity. They could have had on-air auditions with a variety of rotating hosts and let ratings determine the winner.
Ozzie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #59
Inundated
Face For Radio
 
Inundated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 21,520
Or maybe it's just that hiring someone from the U.K. worked so good last time...
Inundated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 01:38 PM   #60
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'
 
murgatroyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 23,060
Is the JoeSixpack argument really valid anymore? Craig has tons of fans on the Internet, and there are plenty of fans on the Internet who already know who Corden is.

Picking someone who isn't 'well known' sort of ties in with the whole "CBS doesn't care what happens in late late night, look, they hired me" schtick that Craig is already doing.

Give the guy a chance. I've seen Corden on the Graham Norton show and he is funny as hell. And if he bombs, no problem, he can go back to doing Sondheim and stuff. I win either way.
__________________
"The capacity of human beings to disappoint me is never ending." -- Ereth
murgatroyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |