TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-28-2014, 09:31 AM   #1
mcf57

Question can I use a Seagate in a Series 3?

I have a Series 3 (TCD652160) with lifetime and is running good. I recently got a Seagate 250GB SATA drive (from a friend's PC). After I run a full disk scan on it to make sure its OK, was going to throw it in this Series 3 TiVO HD (after i install an image on it with WinMFS). I know Western Digitals are the preferred brand, but can a Seagate one work just as well?
mcf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
mr.unnatural

It should work with no problems assuming it's exactly the same size as the original drive or slightly larger. All drives of the same general capacity are not necessarily the same size. You won't be able to restore the image if it's smaller than the original Tivo drive.

I'm not sure why you'd want to install such a small drive when you could just as easily install a larger one, especially since your current drive is working fine. I'd just consider making a backup image that could be restored later if the existing drive starts going bad. I also wouldn't repurpose an old PC drive for Tivo use as it's life expectancy will likely be reduced considerably.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:51 AM   #3
mcf57

Yea, the drive currently in the Series 3 is the 160GB stock drive and this replacement would be 250GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I'm not sure why you'd want to install such a small drive when you could just as easily install a larger one, especially since your current drive is working fine.
Cause its "FREE"
Old 04-28-2014, 09:52 AM   #4
mcf57

Yea, the drive currently in the Series 3 is the 160GB stock drive and this replacement would be 250GB.

Quote:
I'm not sure why you'd want to install such a small drive when you could just as easily install a larger one, especially since your current drive is working fine.
Cause its "FREE"

WOOOPS.... Somehow I accidentally double posted..... Sorry about this
Old 04-28-2014, 02:07 PM   #5
mr.unnatural

I assume this is the Tivo HD and not the original series 3. I had two series 3 Tivos and they both came with 250GB drives, hence the confusion. I have to check for model numbers to register as opposed to using the model name.

Just because it's free doesn't mean it's a step up. Going from a 160GB drive to 250GB gets you enough space for what, maybe about 8-10 more 1-hour HD recordings? That's hardly worth the effort to upgrade, but that's just me.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:56 PM   #6
mcf57

Quote:
Just because it's free doesn't mean it's a step up. Going from a 160GB drive to 250GB gets you enough space for what, maybe about 8-10 more 1-hour HD recordings? That's hardly worth the effort to upgrade, but that's just me.
Yea, its a TiVo HD. And for free, I'll take WHATEVER I can get
Old 04-29-2014, 03:03 AM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcf57 View Post
Yea, its a TiVo HD. And for free, I'll take WHATEVER I can get
Is there anything currently wrong with the original 160GB drive?
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:22 AM   #8
mcf57

Actually, I JUST wound up putting its 160GB drive in another S3 lifetime unit that apparently had a bad drive (& was sold on CL). Therefore, looks like I have to put something in this other lifetime unit anyway. I guess the 250GB will work.

I actually also have an old WD 250GB drive from a past S3 (that was retired). I wiped it and put it in a desktop and its working fine. I now wonder if I should pull it and put it in this S3 instead of the spare Seagate. Then put the Seagate in the desktop.

I realize it would take more work as I would have to reinstall Windows 7 on the Seagate and then put an image on the WD 250GB, but it seems from here that the WD are meant more for TiVos. Or maybe it doesn't matter.

I am also considering buying a TiVo HD XL I see on CL for its 1TB drive and maybe use as well (see other post). Just looking at all my options.

Last edited by mcf57 : 04-29-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:41 AM   #9
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcf57 View Post
Or maybe it doesn't matter.
FYI, TiVo has on occasion used Seagate drives in their DVRs before, so I don't think it matters.
The Tivo just sees a hard drive. It doesn't care who made it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:57 AM   #10
mcf57

Ok, I wasn't sure if certain drives are better for DVRs. In this case, the WD was from an older S3 so thinking it was more geared toward a DVR application as opposed to the Seagate drive that was simply in a desktop.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:02 AM   #11
teasip

I'm surprised that this hasn't come up in this thread, at least that I've seen. There are HDs that are designed as I understand it more so for DVR usage as opposed to traditional HDs. Is there not a potential issue with an off the rack HD versus the DVR designed HDs?
Old 04-29-2014, 12:34 PM   #12
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by teasip View Post
I'm surprised that this hasn't come up in this thread, at least that I've seen. There are HDs that are designed as I understand it more so for DVR usage as opposed to traditional HDs. Is there not a potential issue with an off the rack HD versus the DVR designed HDs?
Not really. Pretty much any retail drive will work in a Tivo, with but a few exceptions.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:14 PM   #13
WhiskeyTango

I would NOT recommend Seagate drives for Tivos. I bought a 1TB drive and installed it in my THD a few years ago. It was dying after about a year. I got a warrantied replacement and that lasted about 8 months before needing replacement. I just yanked the same type of drive from my parents THD after it died after about 2 years. I know drives fail but from my experience, I'd stay away from them. 3 drives lasting less than a total of 4 years does not instill confidence in me. I'm replacing their drive with the same WD Green drive that I currently have running in my unit.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote