TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #1
if1995

TWC and Roamio basic issue

sorry in advance if this issue has been posted again and again. but I need folks who can understand my frustration and maybe help with my issues.

I been using TIVO since it first came out in 2000. I am on my 4th Tivo which is the Roamio basic. I love TiVo and really cannot imagine watching TV without it....I used it for 15 years. But as of now, i have cut TIVO off because TWC cannot get it to work. I am using regular cable box right now for the time being.

I am in the South Pasadena CA area. I moved here in 2010, had a TIVO HD then. TWC came out with the TA and it worked but every once in a while I would experience missing channels....it was easy fix then, i just pull the usb cable from TA, plug it back it in and let it search for the signal.

I upgraded to Roamio basic this past February and this is when the missing channels got bad. Every 4 to 6 weeks, channels would drop, they would pair the cable card again and it worked fine until the next time it drops.

3 weeks ago it really got bad because all the channels dropped except the OTA ones.....TWC cannot get it to work, we changed TA, cable card, line test both outside on the street and in my house.....they finally blamed it on Roamio. After 3 weeks, i gave in, TWC installed cable box and TV is working now.

my issues are different from others because it has been working for the past 5 years so what changed? some on the forum said Roamio Plus will fix the problem but I used Roamio basic for 6 month, it was working.

I would like to get Tivo Roamio working again. Appreciate if you guys can help with a solution.
if1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:08 PM   #2
worachj

Maybe this TiVo support article will help.
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/.../148/related/1
Old 08-27-2014, 09:34 AM   #3
prfek

Roamio Plus with TWC cable connected directly from wall

Why does my TiVo scan my basic channels and show them, but when I tune any one of them it says that channel is not available. Will I have to get a cablecard to tune just the basic channels?
prfek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:26 PM   #4
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by prfek View Post
Roamio Plus with TWC cable connected directly from wall

Why does my TiVo scan my basic channels and show them, but when I tune any one of them it says that channel is not available. Will I have to get a cablecard to tune just the basic channels?
The TiVo needs a CableCard to map the clear-QAM channels to the correct channel numbers. Some people have reported success buying one off of ebay and using it to do the channel mapping. Conversely, you can just rent one from TWC for $2.50/month.
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:18 PM   #5
if1995

ok guys, I been really busy at work this TiVo issue has been kicked to the curb.

Update: I exchanged for a new roamio basic last week. the same problem, cable card will not paired up. I talked to a TWC tech who says he has been doing some investigations. he says there are currently 20-30 known cases in my area where roamio will not work with TWC. they are doing a work around, but don't know how long that will come about. He did say that TiVo premier should work and suggested that I exchanged for one.

It's pretty screwed up but I have became very Zen in this process.....just going along the process patiently.

I have concluded that it's a signal problem at TWC's end. I tried a new roamio basic, problem still exists. I was using TIVO HD from 2009 to 2014 FEb with no problem. I upgrade to Roamio in Feb 2014, worked fine for 6 month. Using deductive reasoning, it's TWC problem, which their tech admitted....whatever upgrade TWC did on their line in Aug of 2014 is causing this problem.

My next step is getting a Premier or Roamio plus to see if those will work.

I have read on some forum: this guy had roamio basic and couldn't get the cable card to pair up with TWC. but once he upgraded to roamio plus, problem solved. I know it does not sound logical but I am willing to try anything right now.

if I cannot get TiVo to work, I am cutting the cord. I don't know how else to watch TV w/o TiVo......lol
Old 09-14-2014, 08:32 PM   #6
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Of course it's a problem with the TWC signals in your area! Roamio's are being used in TWC systems all over the country, while your system admits there are some 30 roamio's that won't work on their system. I hope you're asking for credits for lost service.

An expert with the right instruments could quickly diagnose your problem. Unfortunately such experts are rarely available from cable operators and TiVo support can't afford to do that, even if they had the experts available.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:39 AM   #7
if1995

hi guys, this is just an update. I did resolve my issues with TWC.

TWC sucks but at least they fixed the problem after two month. For the past month, I been using the regular cable box.

TWC recently revamp the whole channel line up in my area, S. Calif. I figure maybe the system upgrade/change would somehow fix my issue. I gave it a shot, connect the coaxial cable to the TiVo, go to cable card manu, go to Davic screen and the signal is locked. Both Tivo and TWC couldn't figure out why the cable signal wasn't picked up by Tivo, the status has been "not locked" for the past two month.

I immediately saw hope, connected TA, power cycle Tivo, and amazingly, the cable card started to auto-download a firmware upgrade. I called cable card support, have the cable card paired again and I HAVE TV ON TIVO AGAIN.

It was a terrible experience, I almost gave up TIVO. had at least 7 tech at my home, over 20 phone call to cable card dept. several trips to local office to swap cable card. even got a replacement unit from TIVO.

TWC came thru after 2 month but TWC sucks, that's all I can say. It's a monopoly and that's what happens when there is no competition. I wish they allow another cable operator in the same area then there wouldn't be this bs.

For those of you who experience severe issues with TWC, all I can say is hang in there. There is a solution. TWC knows what they are doing, it just takes a long time for them to execute.