TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-22-2014, 07:44 PM   #1
BigVBGuy

Question Two Layers of Parental Controls

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a DVR that has two layers of parental controls. Do any of the recent TiVo offerings have this feature?

In case there's any confusion, let me explain. I have a 6-year-old and a 13-year-old who both use the televisions in my home, and I have different standards for what each is allowed to watch. I want to be able to setup one code that will allow my 13-year-old to bypass the controls that prevent my 6-year-old from watching anything that is not kid friendly. This part is easy; my current TiVo HD and Series3 DVRs can do this with KidsZone (or even the basic parental controls). However, I then want the ability to set a separate code that will prevent my 13-year-old from watching R-rated or TV-M programming.

Is this possible with Roamio, for example? If not, are there any DVRs in the market that can do this? TIA
BigVBGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:33 PM   #2
mattack

I don't know for sure, but I don't think ANY product has anything like this.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:42 AM   #3
telemark

Are we talking 2 tv's and 2 tivo's for 2 kids, 1 each or are they sharing 1 TV and 1 Tivo?

I wonder if you can use the TV's V-chip to get a 2nd level.

In my testing now, on a Premiere, Using SD Analog (AV) outputs:
The Tivo's output signal includes V-Chip data and ClosedCaptioning. This has the funny effect of being able to run 2 closed captioning displayed simultaneously.

So this could work if you're ok with some of the side effects. So you set the TV's V-Chip to 13-yr old acceptable content. And set the Tivo to Kids Zone and give the exit code to the 13yr old.

When watching restricted content either live or during playback, the TV should refuse display and ask for it's code. The Tivo button returns the display and Tivo back to a normal state though.

The main downside is this is stuck at 480i. Maybe perfect if you have a spare SD TV.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:35 AM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVBGuy View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a DVR that has two layers of parental controls. Do any of the recent TiVo offerings have this feature?

In case there's any confusion, let me explain. I have a 6-year-old and a 13-year-old who both use the televisions in my home, and I have different standards for what each is allowed to watch. I want to be able to setup one code that will allow my 13-year-old to bypass the controls that prevent my 6-year-old from watching anything that is not kid friendly. This part is easy; my current TiVo HD and Series3 DVRs can do this with KidsZone (or even the basic parental controls). However, I then want the ability to set a separate code that will prevent my 13-year-old from watching R-rated or TV-M programming.

Is this possible with Roamio, for example? If not, are there any DVRs in the market that can do this? TIA
One TiVo for the little kid, a second one for the bigger kid, and a third for Mom and Dad.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:40 PM   #5
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I don't know for sure, but I don't think ANY product has anything like this.
Kindle Freetime gets close (not that it has anything to do with TiVo/DVRs). It has up to four profiles that can be tailored to the different ages of your children. If TiVo brought back some of the KidZone features to the Roamio, and added them into the oft-discussed and still-elusive TiVo user profiles, it could be a nearly perfect solution for this kind of use case.

But yeah, right now, I'm not aware of any other DVRs that are even trying to do something like this.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #6
gweempose

Bear in mind that even with Parental Controls turned on, it won't stop a kid from accessing 3rd party apps like Netflix. This is a huge oversight by TiVo.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:48 PM   #7
spaldingclan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
Bear in mind that even with Parental Controls turned on, it won't stop a kid from accessing 3rd party apps like Netflix. This is a huge oversight by TiVo.
but all you have to do is turn on parental controls within Netflix's website and it will affect everythign on the Tivos netflix app. Even will block R rated movies from showing in your "adult" profile.
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaldingclan View Post

But all you have to do is turn on parental controls within Netflix's website and it will affect everything on the Tivos netflix app. Even will block R rated movies from showing in your "adult" profile.
True, but that's a less than ideal solution, since it forces me to go into my Netflix account and change the settings every time I want to watch something.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:22 PM   #9
bradleys
It'll be fine....

You could just tell the kids what you expect from them and monitor for compliance... It has generally worked for me.

Yeah, I know - I am a pain in the ass, but I never felt I needed Parental controls.

I set rules and I expect them to be followed - period!

I could see some value in having a history log available, for several reasons.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:55 PM   #10
BigVBGuy

Thanks everyone for the input. I hadn't thought of using the TV's parental controls; I'll give it a try.

It would really be nice if user profiles would someday be available, but I won't hold my breath.

By the way, my kids are pretty good about only watching what we taught them is appropriate. However, the additional filtering would reduce the chances that they'll stumble onto something that isn't appropriate. The nice thing is that when they have stumbled onto things in the past, they've been really good about simply turning off the TV and coming to tell me or their mom.
BigVBGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:51 AM   #11
telemark

Saw this later, the Sony RM-KZ1. you know, for kids.

It might work, not sure. It does list codes for Tivo. I don't know how to hit the "Live TV" button though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61zgJ24sjqL._SL1500_.jpg (24.5 KB, 1 views)