TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
2004raptor

Considering roamio basic.

I'm kicking the idea around to get another tivo. I have an old series 2 w/lifetime that I haven't used in forever.

I can get Best Buy to pricematch Amazon so the roamio will be ~$175. I'll search but is that going to be about the best deal around?

I just can't pony up the $ lifetime on this new unit so from what I've read it will be $12.99, right? Does that require a commitment?

If I decide somewhere down the line to go lifetime, I assume I can??

As far as the roamio, does it have a toslink connection on the back? That's how I currently get sound to my AV Receiver (long story) on my comcast DVR and I'd like to keep the setup the same.

I'm ok with the 500GB drive. I know the basic does OTA. Not sure I'll use that but who knows. From my reading I see I can't stream shows from it to my ipad, etc. I'd like that function but it's not worth it to step up to the next roamio.
I know Ill have to get a cablecard from comcast. Is that typically a horrible ordeal?

Anything else I need to know?
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:47 PM   #2
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

I'll take on a couple of your questions:

-Roamio base rear panel so you can see the available connections:

Note that if you are going to use component or composite video out, you need a breakout cable plugged into the little a/v port there on the back.

-Cable cards sometimes take Comcast a couple/few calls to get it paired. Sometimes its just one call... you never know. Not horrible, just not always slick/quick.

-The basic Roamio doesnt stream, You can add a "Tivo Stream" device externally to stream shows. Currently streams/downloads to apple I-devices (depending on the no-copy bit set on the show)... long-promised Android streaming supposedly coming at some point. Tivo Stream has to be connected via ethernet and its cooling fan is a little loud to some ears, so its best placed someplace where the fan noise wont be troublesome (mines in my office), and is running a little over $100.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:42 PM   #3
mattack

If you intend to do cable, and don't foresee using OTA (I know you said you're not sure you'll use it, and to be clear, it is OTA _OR_ cable, not both), I suggest the Roamio Plus. Getting the 2 extra tuners may be more useful than you think, especially since they took out the (broken) use-the-same-tuner feature, so just needing padding uses a lot of tuners.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:38 AM   #4
2004raptor

Thanks for the pic and the info lgnad and mattack.

I didn't know about not being able to use ota and cable simultaneously. Not sure that would affect me though. Regarding the Plus, I just don't think I can afford that model.

With the comcast DVR I can only think of a few times when I need more than 2 tuners so 4 should be fine.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
59er
TiVotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004raptor View Post
With the comcast DVR I can only think of a few times when I need more than 2 tuners so 4 should be fine.
I'm just going to say that I am a big fan of 4 or 6 tuners, because it allows you to pad your shows to accommodate the dickishness of networks who don't start/end their shows on time. You may only want to record two shows, but the extra tuners allow you to pad liberally without conflicts.
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:40 PM   #6
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
.......Note that if you are going to use component or composite video out, you need a breakout cable plugged into the little a/v port there on the back. -.......
Note that the little AV port in back on a Roamio basic is composite ONLY, no component. You may be mistaking it for the mini, which has one of each.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:08 PM   #7
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Note that the little AV port in back on a Roamio basic is composite ONLY, no component. You may be mistaking it for the mini, which has one of each.
oops! Particularly dumb of me since I included a picture! lol
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:23 PM   #8
2004raptor

real quick question. I'm really on the fence about getting the roamio. So many positives and only a few negatives but I tend to over research sometimes so I haven't been able to pull the trigger.

In my research I have seen several complaints about ads. Is it that bad? If my comcast DVR has ads I honestly don't notice them. well, maybe on the guide it will show a little box about an upcoming show or PPV but not annoying at all. Is the roamio worse?
Old 04-23-2014, 07:11 PM   #9
tarheelblue32

Quote:
In my research I have seen several complaints about ads. Is it that bad? If my comcast DVR has ads I honestly don't notice them. well, maybe on the guide it will show a little box about an upcoming show or PPV but not annoying at all. Is the roamio worse?
I really don't get why some people on here make such a big deal about the "TiVo ads". The only "ads" you get is if you pause live TV you sometimes get a little pop-up box ad (that you can make disappear by pressing a button on the remote) that automatically disappears once you unpause. I honestly don't even notice it. It is such a minor thing that I really don't think it should influence your decision one way or the other.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #10
truman861

Quote:
Thanks for the pic and the info lgnad and mattack.

I didn't know about not being able to use ota and cable simultaneously. Not sure that would affect me though. Regarding the Plus, I just don't think I can afford that model.

My understanding though, the whole idea is the roamio is somewhat intended to be the "hub" for a "whole house dvr". I bought the plus so I have 6 tuners along with a mini in the living room and each of the kids rooms. Thats 3 tuners spoken for right there leaving me 3 tuners to play with. Even if you dont think you need the 6 tuners now - what about down the road in a year or two, better to make the investment now and save upgrading again later.

Highest I found was 3 programs recording at one time on a monday night and then was also recording 2 suggestions. Bottom line though, for the extra 200 dollars you get the two extra tuners ($ ??), bigger hard drive ($100.00), built in moca ($50.00), built in stream ($100.00). All those things are by far worth the 200.00 upgrade difference.
truman861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:30 PM   #11
truman861

and I honestly dont even notice the ads. really its just a little thing when you get to the end of your show, you have the keep or delete and then a small bar same size as all the other ads on the other platforms like the s2, s3, premiere etc. No big deal. I have gone through them all from the S2, the S3 HD, Premiere's and the roamio plus is by far the best box yet.
truman861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:07 PM   #12
moonscape

I'm extremely sensitive to ads, and also had trepidation coming into the Roamio, but ... really they are very seldom and not intrusive.

I had S2s but came to Roamio from a couple of S3s. Although I got the Pro, if I was stepping up from an S2, the Basic would be a staggering upgrade. If $$ was a major factor, I know I'd choose to save for lifetime vs springing for the Plus, but then I have frugal in my bones and like paid-off things best

You're going to love the Roamio!
moonscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:44 AM   #13
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by truman861 View Post
My understanding though, the whole idea is the roamio is somewhat intended to be the "hub" for a "whole house dvr". I bought the plus so I have 6 tuners along with a mini in the living room and each of the kids rooms. Thats 3 tuners spoken for right there leaving me 3 tuners to play with. .
Its only 3 tuners spoken for if all three of the minis are streaming live channels at the same time. The Roamios use dynamic tuner allocation so a tuner is only tied up on a mini if its being used.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:25 AM   #14
moonscape

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonscape View Post
I'm extremely sensitive to ads, and also had trepidation coming into the Roamio, but ... really they are very seldom and not intrusive.
I should add that I always use the backdoor SPSPS to get rid of the progress bar on pause, and that makes a world of difference.
moonscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #15
2004raptor

I haven't strongly considered a mini but it's possible in the future. So, if I have a mini and I'm watching a recording on it from the roamio basic then I only have 3 tuners available on the roamio? If that's true Does it matter if I'm watching live on the roamio?

Jcthorne might be addressing this but I just want to be clear.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:22 PM   #16
tarheelblue32

Quote:
I haven't strongly considered a mini but it's possible in the future. So, if I have a mini and I'm watching a recording on it from the roamio basic then I only have 3 tuners available on the roamio? If that's true Does it matter if I'm watching live on the roamio?

Jcthorne might be addressing this but I just want to be clear.
Actually, if you are watching a recording on the Mini, then the Roamio would still have all 4 tuners. The Mini only borrows a tuner from the Roamio when watching live TV on the Mini.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:13 PM   #17
mattack

I hate ads, the worst ads are the 'bar' at the top of the screen nowadays though.. The rest, I basically never see/can completely ignore, and as I said, I *hate* ads.. The top bar ones are the only ones that bug me, since they're taking up valuable space that should be used for more text!
Old 04-24-2014, 09:39 PM   #18
2004raptor

Well, I ordered a basic. I assume I can go ahead to comcast and get a cable card? Hopefully the install and setup go smooth.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:28 PM   #19
ToastyZ71

Quote:
Well, I ordered a basic. I assume I can go ahead to comcast and get a cable card? Hopefully the install and setup go smooth.
Yes, stop in to your local Comcast office and pick up an M card (Multi-stream) CableCard.

They'll give you a self-install guide with instructions, but toss them.

Hook up your new roamio, but don't put the cable card in until you've begun guided setup and it asks for the card. Once the card is recognized, the Tivo will take you to the cablecard activation screen.

DO NOT CALL THE CABLECARD ACTIVATION NUMBER.... NOTHING BUT GRIEF.

Call up the National Repair Line - 888-824-8988. When I called, I spoke to Michael, x17716, if you want a specific person.He's a cablecard expert. He got my account all fixed and got everything working when multiple calls to the cablecard hotline failed. He told me specifically to never call the cablecard number, only to call him in the future. He'll take down the numbers from the activation screen and get your account all set on it, including the VOD.

Good luck!
ToastyZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:01 PM   #20
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I hate ads, the worst ads are the 'bar' at the top of the screen nowadays though.. The rest, I basically never see/can completely ignore, and as I said, I *hate* ads.. The top bar ones are the only ones that bug me, since they're taking up valuable space that should be used for more text!
Are there actually Ads on the Discovery Bar? I notice the show recommendations. And because if those i've found a bunch of shows from the Discovery Bar that I probably wouldn't have otherwise.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:25 PM   #21
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Are there actually Ads on the Discovery Bar? I notice the show recommendations. And because if those i've found a bunch of shows from the Discovery Bar that I probably wouldn't have otherwise.
I think he's saying that the Discovery Bar essentially is advertising. I tend to agree, although I find it inoffensive, and I too have found interesting things there occasionally.

I generally find ads that are presented in parallel with desired content (off to the side or whatever) to be tolerable, since I can give each ad the amount of attention it deserves, which is usually none. But ads which are presented sequentially before or during video content are intolerable to me. I will never pay for any service that would force me to watch such ads.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:14 PM   #22
lpwcomp

While I agree with the advice not to call the number presented to you on the TiVo CableCARD activation screen, which is actually just the local Comcast customer support line, I would recommend calling 877-405-2298.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:30 PM   #23
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
I think he's saying that the Discovery Bar essentially is advertising. I tend to agree, although I find it inoffensive, and I too have found interesting things there occasionally.
Well, it _essentially_ is advertising, but ALSO sometimes has _real_ advertising, e.g. the Bounty or whatever towel ad that also shows up in the other menu ads.

Also, I turned off most of the things in the Discovery Bar pref, so get only pointless things there.. (I think I turned one or two items back on to get slightly less pointless things there, but for me
they're still overall pointless..) E.g. showing me suggestions or items already in my Now Playing seems kind of pointless, but for some reason bugs me less than a bunch of random shows I'm not likely to be interested in anyway.. (so-and-so ON CHANNEL 419 NOW)
Old 04-25-2014, 10:19 PM   #24
ToastyZ71

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
While I agree with the advice not to call the number presented to you on the TiVo CableCARD activation screen, which is actually just the local Comcast customer support line, I would recommend calling 877-405-2298.
Nope. They're still clueless.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:50 PM   #25
2004raptor

Dropped by Comcast local office today and grabbed a cable card. Now just have to wait until the roamio arrives.

Thanks for the tips toasty and lpw. I'll try the numbers and hopefully have a smooth setup.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:54 PM   #26
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastyZ71 View Post
Nope. They're still clueless.
They weren't when I called them this week.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:21 AM   #27
ToastyZ71

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
They weren't when I called them this week.
I'll say you got lucky. I was stuck in non-pairing hell with too many phone calls to count. I also found it beneficial that the guy I spoke to at the national repair center works 2nd shift hours (mountain time) which helped since it was hard for me to call during the day
Old 04-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #28
2004raptor

Tracking shows it should be here Tuesday.

Getting a bit ahead if myself but his does comcast in demand work through TiVo? Is there an option built into the interface?

Also, does the roamio and harmony one play nice together? I seem to remember there was a way to program the 30 second forward skip to my only s2. I'll definitely want that on the roamio.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #29
ToastyZ71

Quote:
Tracking shows it should be here Tuesday.

Getting a bit ahead if myself but his does comcast in demand work through TiVo? Is there an option built into the interface?

Also, does the roamio and harmony one play nice together? I seem to remember there was a way to program the 30 second forward skip to my only s2. I'll definitely want that on the roamio.
It will work with Comcast OnDemand when it's rolled out to your area.

The 30 second skip is already in the Harmony database for Roamio, so you're covered there. I'm very close to getting the Standby discrete code in and added to the database as well.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:19 PM   #30
2004raptor

thanks.

btw what is the model # for the basic in the harmony database? I'm wanting to add before it arrives.