TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:36 PM   #1
globalgreg

Blue spinning circle when adding season pass?

Trying to add a season pass and I get the blue spinning circle for about a minute and then the season pass recording options go away with no error or confirmation that the season pass went through. The season pass doesn't appear on the season pass manager.

I've rebooted my Roamio Pro, Mini, and MoCA adapter. Any idea why this is happening? I've been able to add season passes in the past, I have 27 right now. I'm on version 20.4.5.
globalgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:45 PM   #2
fred2

I'll ask, did you try adding a different program's season pass or only have trouble with one show?
fred2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:46 PM   #3
globalgreg

Tried two different shows
Old 11-12-2014, 01:40 AM   #4
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

I had that a few days ago. After a few- maybe 10 minutes, it went away. Sorry, I know that doesnt help you other than hopefully it will clear up for you soon
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:03 AM   #5
rsnaider

I am seeing the same thing with the latest software. In addition my Roamio's become sluggish after a few days and need a reboot, not a very good roll-out for me as my Premieres seem fine so far.

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Roamio Pro - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Mini
rsnaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:42 AM   #6
globalgreg

Not good, I'll check tonight to see if it's still doing it.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:37 PM   #7
Diana Collins

Usually the spinning blue circle means that the TiVo is having trouble communicating with the TiVo servers (the TiVos interact with the servers frequently for additional program details, and whenever a Season pass is created or modified).

I added two season passes to our Roamio (one last night and one this morning) running 20.4.5 and saw no delay or spinning circle. It may have been a transient problem with the servers, the route between your TiVo and the server, or your local internet connection.

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:09 PM   #8
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

beginning with 20.4.5, my pxl started showing blue circles, some for a short time with positive results, others for long periods with eventual failure - this is bs, and new to my tivo with this update.

please report this to tivo so they'll investigate.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:27 PM   #9
globalgreg

Same crap tonight. Can't add a season pass for Storage Wars. Just get a spinning blue circle for a minute and then goes back to the season pass options without adding the season pass. I guess I'll email support. Is their support generally good?
Old 11-14-2014, 06:30 PM   #10
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

happening again for me tonight, cannot add any season pass - blue circle, long wait, failure without a fault message. rebooted, but it didn't help.

isn't this considered basic dvr functionality? scheduling individual recordings for a series, and remembering to follow up in 12 days, is getting old. i reported.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
Old 11-14-2014, 10:40 PM   #11
mattack

I see this kind of thing when I do something that makes it "really want to finish"..

i.e. if you do basic SP reordering, it tells you things won't be up to date for a few minutes.. but if you THEN try to delete a SP or even enter a SP (IIRC), you THEN get the spinning gear and have to wait FOREVER for it to finish.... since it seems you're waiting for it to completely bring its concept of the world back to reality..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:58 AM   #12
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I see this kind of thing when I do something that makes it "really want to finish"..

i.e. if you do basic SP reordering, it tells you things won't be up to date for a few minutes.. but if you THEN try to delete a SP or even enter a SP (IIRC), you THEN get the spinning gear and have to wait FOREVER for it to finish.... since it seems you're waiting for it to completely bring its concept of the world back to reality..
you're right, the sp mgr is taking forever to update, and this delays any new scheduling until it's finished updating. mine is now taking over 20 minutes, when it used to be 1-2 minutes before the latest update.

but the blue circles are still rampant since the latest update, sometimes taking 1-2 minutes without any sp mgr changes.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:20 PM   #13
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

update: it appears i've been able to correct the blue circles and inability to schedule a sp:
settings & messages > help > restart or reset > clear thumb ratings & suggestions
settings & messages > help > restart or reset > clear program info & to do list
i'm thinking the issues were a result of corrupted guide data, time will tell.

Last edited by NorthAlabama : 11-15-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:19 AM   #14
shoek

Had the same issue Saturday with one of my Roamio Pro's. In addition to it not adding the SP on the Roamio itself, it would not add from the connected Minis either. My other Roamio Pro worked fine and was snappy adding the SP. I was able to get an SP added to the Roamio Pro that was acting up by scheduling it on the web and forcing a connection, but that did not fix anything for adding SP's locally.

Finally I did the "clear program info & todos" and this seems to have cleared it up.

It does feel like a problem with the 20..4.5 version
shoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #15
globalgreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
update: it appears i've been able to correct the blue circles and inability to schedule a sp:
settings & messages > help > restart or reset > clear thumb ratings & suggestions
settings & messages > help > restart or reset > clear program info & to do list
i'm thinking the issues were a result of corrupted guide data, time will tell.
I assume the Program Info and the To Do List will rebuild itself so you don't really lose any data?

I've been emailing tech support about this problem and they are a complete joke.

Adding some season passes work for me and some don't. When it doesn't work it doesn't work from my Mini or Roamio. I have to add the SP from tivo.com and then it works.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:14 PM   #16
rsnaider

It will rebuilt itself but can take an hour or two to complete as it reboots the box.

While this is going on nothing will record so plan accordingly. In addition once the box is up you need to force a connection so it can pull down all the data again and process which can take another 20 to 30 minutes to process before any recordings can occur.

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Mini
Old 11-17-2014, 02:14 PM   #17
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalgreg View Post
I assume the Program Info and the To Do List will rebuild itself so you don't really lose any data?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnaider View Post
It will rebuilt itself but can take an hour or two to complete as it reboots the box.
the box will prompt you to make a connection following 'clear program info & to do list' after reboot has finished, select yes.

this also seems to have resolved my issues with sp mgr update times, everything appears to be back to normal (for now).

Old 11-17-2014, 10:13 PM   #18
globalgreg

Took care of my problem too, thanks for posting the solution.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:34 AM   #19
rsnaider

I kicked off this solution this morning but in the past a reboot would fix it, so I hope this solution lasts more then just a few days.

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Mini
Old 11-18-2014, 09:55 AM   #20
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalgreg View Post
Took care of my problem too, thanks for posting the solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnaider View Post
I kicked off this solution this morning but in the past a reboot would fix it, so I hope this solution lasts more then just a few days.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #21
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
the box will prompt you to make a connection following 'clear program info & to do list' after reboot has finished, select yes.

this also seems to have resolved my issues with sp mgr update times, everything appears to be back to normal (for now).
This is a very useful option. I used it to try to clear the issue with spurious non existent channels showing up in explore and upcoming episodes.

It cleared that up for a day, then TiVo's servers forced it back to being messed-up again. But, I also use it when I see blue circles and behavior like this, for more than 24 hours.

If you have a problem that the fast and non-disruptive usual things you try don't work for it, this is a great function for purging bad guide data, rather than waiting for it to self-purge, and other "WTF now?" issues.

Just keep in mind it will clear and NOT repopulate TDL entries not of the SP/ARWL type. If you have manually set recordings (1 check mark in TDL, rather than two), you will want to make sure to manually reschedule those.

I would never try using this without at least four hours of time with nothing in the TDL upcoming to record (that I care enough about). There will be no guide data until the first pass of indexing after the next service connection finishes, plus the SPM must then repopulate the TDL, and all that can take as long as the CPI&TDL process does (especially if you have 100+ SPs, and they have a lot of filtering to do).

I still think Roamios are far too dependant on the live TiVo Service connection, while doing tasks that are in the realm of Core DVR functions. When they gifted us with the greater forward scheduling feature, they likely introduced a new dependency, making this issue worse.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:54 PM   #22
rsnaider

And after attempting to fix my issue like others we have a new release - 20.4.5c

Hopefully this fixes a few of the issues we have been seeing.

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Mini
Old 11-19-2014, 12:12 PM   #23
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Just keep in mind it will clear and NOT repopulate TDL entries not of the SP/ARWL type. If you have manually set recordings (1 check mark in TDL, rather than two), you will want to make sure to manually reschedule those.
i didn't write down my one-time tdl recordings, but, believe it or not, at least some, if not all, were recovered once the process was completed.

maybe this is new with recent software updates?

Old 11-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #24
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
i didn't write down my one-time tdl recordings, but, believe it or not, at least some, if not all, were recovered once the process was completed.

maybe this is new with recent software updates?
I think it could be, as I had some movies record after I did it, and those were definitely manual entries, added long before I did the CPI&TDL.

I just didn't want to say anything, until somebody else reported seeing the same. I'd still keep tabs, if anything important is manually scheduled. I found if I padded a single episode of a SP, that it became listed as a manual recording in the TDL, which was why I suggested actually looking at the TDL before continuing on.

Older TiVos used to repopulate SPs, if you installed a freshly imaged hard drive (with the current software version already on it), pulling them down from the mothership. But, for some reason, that stopped happening, a long time back. Perhaps it's back again. But, counting on the TiVo mothership has not always been the best approach to many things, like counting on that old behavior, back then, or trusting your SPs to the online Season Pass Mangler, rather than using KMTTG.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:31 PM   #25
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
I think it could be, as I had some movies record after I did it, and those were definitely manual entries, added long before I did the CPI&TDL.
the reason i know it happened for me, since i was unable to schedule season passes, i had manually set several shows to record, and they were restored, along with a few movies. nice recovery!

Old 11-19-2014, 12:40 PM   #26
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
the reason i know it happened for me, since i was unable to schedule season passes, i had manually set several shows to record, and they were restored, along with a few movies. nice recovery!
Have you checked to see how long it takes for a manual recording to show up on tivo.com? Perhaps verifying your TDL there matches (is up to date with) your local one, is all you need before going forward...

The extended pre-scheduling feature might be the most likely thing responsible for this (very welcome) behavior.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:34 PM   #27
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Have you checked to see how long it takes for a manual recording to show up on tivo.com? Perhaps verifying your TDL there matches (is up to date with) your local one, is all you need before going forward...

The extended pre-scheduling feature might be the most likely thing responsible for this (very welcome) behavior.
if i remember my next opportunity, i'll check and respond.

now, i'm stuck in a downloading loop, error n11, network & tivo both rebooted, still stuck.

of course, discovery bar, apps, and streaming all work fine.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:44 PM   #28
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
if i remember my next opportunity, i'll check and respond.

now, i'm stuck in a downloading loop, error n11, network & tivo both rebooted, still stuck.

of course, discovery bar, apps, and streaming all work fine.
I'm getting spinning blue circles on anything that has a long list I move down too fast, and something like a "C501 error", with a phone number to call if I see it again...

The borked-up phantom channel numbers are still there, and I'm beginning to get very angry, that I can't navigate faster than the TiVo can populate, or error-out!

In other observations, I had an absence of ads for the last two days, and now they are everywhere. All this crap always seems to happen when TiVo does something with the ads...
Old 11-19-2014, 03:49 PM   #29
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
I'm getting spinning blue circles on anything that has a long list I move down too fast, and something like a "C501 error", with a phone number to call if I see it again...All this crap always seems to happen when TiVo does something with the ads...
i figured i was getting the new update and the server was busy, so i checked tivo status, it say everything's up.

i hope they get this mess cleared up soon.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:55 PM   #30
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
i figured i was getting the new update and the server was busy, so i checked tivo status, it say everything's up.

i hope they get this mess cleared up soon.
Yeah, I was "blessed" without actually having the problem in this thread before, then they roll an update, and now I do. Not even going to bother with another CPI&TDL... If they are having mind/middlemind/TiVo Service server issues (also lately associated with ads, and reboot loops), I don't want to tempt fate and have the process complete, and not be able to get it back...

Good luck over there. Keep us all posted, please.

Maybe a link in the software version thread (most recent one), to this thread is in order...