TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-17-2014, 02:29 PM   #1
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Roamio OTA WILL work with the MINI

This was a major issue I had with the Roamio OTA and this clarification really makes it a much more viable product.

I wonder if Margret was originally mistaken or if this was a change of heart by TiVo...

https://twitter.com/tivodesign/statu...01033057210370

Attached Images
File Type: jpg MS.jpg (24.5 KB, 250 views)
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:35 PM   #2
tarheelblue32

Margret is usually pretty on top of things. I suspect TiVo changed their minds. Not having the Mini support on the OTA model was just going to cause too much confusion and unhappy customers that didn't realize it until after the purchase.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
Captainbob

I just talked to tech support this morning, and they said they did not know if it would work, but you can always return it in 30 days if it doesn't.

This is what tech support said via chat this morning 9-17-14 at 7:30 PST regarding if the OTA would work with the Mini>>>>> "At this time there is no definitive answer on that, unfortunately. We are even getting conflicting answers from our engineers."
Captainbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:44 PM   #4
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I think I trust Margret's confirmation on this more than the trickle down to the CSR level.

If she says publicly that it will work, you can feel confident in that statement.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 09-17-2014, 02:46 PM   #5
ncted
A leaf on the wind

Right Hand: "No Mini Support!"
Left Hand: "Of course Mini will work"
Right Hand: "Hey, what?"
(Frantic consultation)
Right Hand: "Mini is supported"
Old 09-17-2014, 02:49 PM   #6
Captainbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I think I trust Margret's confirmation on this more than the trickle down to the CSR level.

If she says publicly that it will work, you can feel confident in that statement.
Then they run a pretty sloppy ship, because on a new product, CS reps should get an email when an important question on basic functionality like this comes up asked on Facebook, Twitter, chat to Tivo, emails to Tivo, phone calls to Tivo, and on several threads on this forum. Not only that, but stating that the engineers when questioned don't even know the answer, that boggles on the mind.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainbob View Post
Then they run a pretty sloppy ship, because on a new product, CS reps should get an email when an important question on basic functionality like this comes up asked on Facebook, Twitter, chat to Tivo, emails to Tivo, phone calls to Tivo, and on several threads on this forum. Not only that, but stating that the engineers when questioned don't even know the answer, that boggles on the mind.
That is why I think this was a change of heart and not a misunderstanding of functionality. I think they were getting pretty beat up over an artificial limitation and are softly backpedaling.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 09-17-2014, 02:53 PM   #8
Captainbob

Quote:
That is why I think this was a change of heart and not a misunderstanding of functionality. I think they were getting pretty beat up over an artificial limitation and are softly backpedaling.
So how long does it take to send an email to all the techsupport people at Tivo saying....... " The OTA will work with the Mini"...... Just took me about 3 seconds to type, and probably another few seconds to look for the Tech mailing list and hit the send button......
Old 09-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #9
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
So how long does it take to send an email to all the techsupport people at Tivo saying....... " The OTA will work with the Mini"...... Just took me about 3 seconds to type, and probably another few seconds to look for the Tech mailing list and hit the send button......
Well, first the decision has to be made at the leadership level and a engineering manager will be asked to write up a policy and technical specifications to support the decision. Once that has been edited by several Directors it will finally be approved as policy.

The technical team will submit a change to the change management process (Boolean switch) that will be tested and scheduled within the release process requiring sign off from several layers of leadership.

This new policy will be sent to CSR leadership... They will engage their management team and corporate training to update all the the reference materials and training documentation for this new policy.

Corporate training will develop additional training materials to familiarize the CSR's with the new policy and CSR leadership will create a list of metrics to measure the impact of the new policy and the CSR's ability to communicate it properly under the "one call resolution" goal.

You're right, it shouldn't take very long at all!
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 09-17-2014, 03:16 PM   #10
rainwater

Quote:
I just talked to tech support this morning, and they said they did not know if it would work, but you can always return it in 30 days if it doesn't.

This is what tech support said via chat this morning 9-17-14 at 7:30 PST regarding if the OTA would work with the Mini>>>>> "At this time there is no definitive answer on that, unfortunately. We are even getting conflicting answers from our engineers."
Who cares what the CSRs say. They most likely have not been full appraised of the change to support the Mini. Margret confirmed it is going to work. That is all you need to know.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:24 PM   #11
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

It's good news. Now they just need to backpedal on not allowing lifetime.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:30 PM   #12
Captainbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Who cares what the CSRs say. They most likely have not been full appraised of the change to support the Mini. Margret confirmed it is going to work. That is all you need to know.
Don't think it was a change after all, because someone got one today and posted a picture of the side of the box on another thread, and it says that it will work with the mini, right on the box. I am sure that the box wasn't printed in the last 2 days.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...8#post10243688
Old 09-17-2014, 03:32 PM   #13
ncted
A leaf on the wind

Quote:
You could always find out first hand:

http://hire.jobvite.com/CompanyJobs/...ion&j=oYCeZfwx

Old 09-17-2014, 03:51 PM   #14
Banker257

Quote:
They have more important things to worry about. Like their stock options!
Banker257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:54 PM   #15
Banker257

Quote:
Well, first the decision has to be made at the leadership level and a engineering manager will be asked to write up a policy and technical specifications to support the decision. Once that has been edited by several Directors it will finally be approved as policy.

The technical team will submit a change to the change management process (Boolean switch) that will be tested and scheduled within the release process requiring sign off from several layers of leadership.

This new policy will be sent to CSR leadership... They will engage their management team and corporate training to update all the the reference materials and training documentation for this new policy.

Corporate training will develop additional training materials to familiarize the CSR's with the new policy and CSR leadership will create a list of metrics to measure the impact of the new policy and the CSR's ability to communicate it properly under the "one call resolution" goal.

You're right, it shouldn't take very long at all!
You left out the part about being run past the lawyers....
Banker257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:19 AM   #16
Series3Sub

I get it that TiVo had wet dreams of people paying for 2 Roamio OTA's and reaping the $30 per month revenue from 2 never ending subscriptions if someone wanted to watch their content in another room. I think TiVo woke up and realized it was all dream, and accepted reality. Making the Mini compatible makes the OTA far more compelling, even if there I s a, never ending subscription price, but we'll have to wait for TiVo to announce pricing.

Now, to finally make the Roamio OTA a knockout punch to the CM DVR+ is to increase the purchase price the OTA to that of the DVR+ model that includes internal HDD ($300) with no additional fees, and then I can heartily recommend the Roamio OTA as not only best DVR as far as features but also a, most important to cord cutters, a good value.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:42 AM   #17
Captainbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Series3Sub View Post
I get it that TiVo had wet dreams of people paying for 2 Roamio OTA's and reaping the $30 per month revenue from 2 never ending subscriptions if someone wanted to watch their content in another room. I think TiVo woke up and realized it was all dream, and accepted reality. Making the Mini compatible makes the OTA far more compelling, even if there I s a, never ending subscription price, but we'll have to wait for TiVo to announce pricing.

Now, to finally make the Roamio OTA a knockout punch to the CM DVR+ is to increase the purchase price the OTA to that of the DVR+ model that includes internal HDD ($300) with no additional fees, and then I can heartily recommend the Roamio OTA as not only best DVR as far as features but also a, most important to cord cutters, a good value.
I thought the DVR+ with hard drive was $400...
Old 09-20-2014, 06:17 PM   #18
ncted
A leaf on the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Series3Sub View Post

Clearly the Mini support was there from the start. It says on the packaging that it is supported. They didn't just change the packaging at the last minute. This is just an internal communications snafu.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:25 AM   #19
aaronwt
HD Addict

Perhaps someone should have looked at a box? There shouldn't have been any confusion about it if the OTA Roamio was intended to work with the Mini from the beginning.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote