TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-19-2014, 08:32 PM   #1
TechDaddyK

How do I *stop* the TiVo remote from adjusting volume on VIZIO sound bar?

The TiVo remote adjusts the volume on BOTH the VIZIO sound bar and the VIZIO Smart TV at the same time. That makes for a very touchy volume control since it turns up the speakers as well as the input to the speakers. I would rather keep the sound bar at a fairly high level and then use the TiVo remote to adjust the TV volume to control the input to the sound bar.

I hope that makes sense!
TechDaddyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:38 PM   #2
mattack

Does your TV's remote control both?

If so, you're probably screwed.

If not, try a different VIZIO code in the remote control setup of your Tivo remote.. and/or if you can adjust the setting on the sound bar to use a different remote code, do that.
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:55 PM   #3
CinciDVR

If the sound bar and Smart TV really do use the same IR codes, your only option may be to put tape over the IR receiver of the sound bar.
CinciDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
TechDaddyK

There were three codes available for VIZIO under the TiVo remote settings. One didn't work at all, and the other two controlled both the TV and sound bar volumes.

I also tried the "tape over the sensor" idea, but even though I can successfully block the volume control on the sound bar, changing the TV volume alone doesn't increase the volume of the speakers.

Finally, the method VIZIO support gave me to stop the sound bar from going to sleep failed. So I have that problem to solve (again).

(I'm about ready to sell the sound bar and give up!)
TechDaddyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:19 PM   #5
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechDaddyK View Post
There were three codes available for VIZIO under the TiVo remote settings. One didn't work at all, and the other two controlled both the TV and sound bar volumes. I also tried the "tape over the sensor" idea, but even though I can successfully block the volume control on the sound bar, changing the TV volume alone doesn't increase the volume of the speakers. Finally, the method VIZIO support gave me to stop the sound bar from going to sleep failed. So I have that problem to solve (again). (I'm about ready to sell the sound bar and give up!)
There may be a "Fixed/Variable" setting somewhere in the menu of the tv. This adjusts whether the audio outputs of the tv follow the volume control as it's adjusted up or down, or whether it remains at a fixed voltage to go to external devices such as an AV Receiver that has its own volume control. If it's on fixed, try variable.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:06 PM   #6
trip1eX

I doubt adjusting the tv volume can control the input to the sound bar. I didn't think tvs or most tvs worked that way. Many tvs make you choose external or tv sound. And the one I got that lets u have both, ...if I remember right I think the sound levels are independent of each other.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:09 PM   #7
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
I don't think most tvs work that way. If you choose to output to external source then often times the tv is automatically muted. Or even it lets you control your tv volume separate it wouldn't have an effect on the soundbar volume.
Seriously? Maybe not lately, but it certainly used to be that way. I'll have to check my TVs and see if those options are there.

P.S.- hey you changed your response after I quoted it! You did it again!
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:31 AM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechDaddyK View Post
The TiVo remote adjusts the volume on BOTH the VIZIO sound bar and the VIZIO Smart TV at the same time. That makes for a very touchy volume control since it turns up the speakers as well as the input to the speakers. I would rather keep the sound bar at a fairly high level and then use the TiVo remote to adjust the TV volume to control the input to the sound bar.

I hope that makes sense!
From where does your soundbar get its input?

If you're using a soundbar, why do you not have the speakers muted on the television?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:53 AM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
From where does your soundbar get its input?

If you're using a soundbar, why do you not have the speakers muted on the television?
Yes the speakers should be set to off on the TV.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote