TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-16-2014, 04:17 PM   #1
Ron S

My first ever TiVo arrived, now to set it up!

Also obviously a forum newbie but I have been perusing the forum for a couple of weeks.

My cable monopoly, Charter, has rolled out encryption with a deadline to convert of August 26. As the deadline approaches, Charter is degrading our signal more and more each day. I have had two RePlayTVs (5040s upgraded to 300 GB drives, obviously standard definition) for more than a decade which have worked flawlessly and which I would happily continue to use but the move to encryption means it’s time to move into the 21st century and the ability to record HD TV channels with a Roamio Pro and Mini, actually two Minis, just in case, for our two 50” TVs.

My Roamio Pro and the Minis are still sealed in the shipping box which I will open after posting this. Earlier I picked up a cable card (Motorola M card), a set top box (Dolby?) and a tuning adapter (also Motorola). There is no charge for these Charter supplied devices for one year. I see no use for the set top box because our only two TVs will run through the Roamio and Mini using the cable card. Being new to this encryption crap, I am uncertain if I need the tuning adapter (previously I just screwed the coax cable from the cable drop splitter to my RePlayTV and then coax from each of my RePlayTVs into each of my two TVs.) We will only be using Basic and Expanded Service from Charter and we will not order on-demand shows nor anything else - ever. I will shortly call TiVo for advice on whether I really need the tuning adapter.

I plan to connect the Roamio to my network using existing Powerline Ethernet (for the electronic program guide and software updates) and connect the Roamio and Mini via MoCA. MoCA is new to me! (I have seen nooneuknow’s signature regarding the tuning adapter, no PoE bought yet!) I do not have wired Ethernet except in one room of my home (brand new Cisco DOCSIS 3 Charter thanks-for-nothing forced rental modem to MacSense 10/100 router (four port) and a Compex 10/100 switch (eight port), both over a decade old), using 200mb Powerline wherever else I need to use Ethernet as well as WiFi (yes, WEP only on an original 802.11b Apple Airport Base station which is about 15 years old.) Back to MoCA; I have always just grabbed whatever splitters were cheapest because I only needed them for TV and a short run to my cable modem. Whatever splitter I grabbed worked. As did everything else – the network untouched for over a decade except to connect a few devices (computers, printer, Ooma) and Powerline.

Now to see how the new stuff works with all the ancient stuff! Hopefully MoCA will work with my random splitters…

I guess I need to make 10 posts to view certain things on the forum so this is one down

(I hope this is the appropriate sub-forum for this type of post.)
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:29 PM   #2
Chris Gerhard

Welcome to the forum. I am a long time TiVo user although I don't have a Roamio or Mini but there are many here that do and any questions can be answered by someone that does.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:29 PM   #3
Ron S

Chris, thanks!
Old 08-16-2014, 07:06 PM   #4
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
I will shortly call TiVo for advice on whether I really need the tuning adapter.
That's unnecessary. The TiVo people really won't be able to tell you that, and you will figure out pretty quickly on your own whether or not you need the tuning adapter. If all the channels you want to watch come through with just the cablecard, then you don't really need it. If you get a message like "channel not available" on some channels that you want to watch that are a part of the package you subscribe to, then you're probably going to need it.
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You can just use MoCa to connect the Roamio, mini and to the router, just need a Moca adapter to the router, its built-in on Roamio Plus/Pro and Mini using only coax.

Only enable MoCa bridging on Roamio if its connected with ethernet.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:19 PM   #6
waynomo
My One Time

I might suggest starting another topic and put Charter Cable in the title. I'm sure there are many Charter subscribers here that can tell you exactly what you need to do.

Anyway, welcome to TiVo.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:28 AM   #7
Ron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
That's unnecessary. The TiVo people really won't be able to tell you that, and you will figure out pretty quickly on your own whether or not you need the tuning adapter. If all the channels you want to watch come through with just the cablecard, then you don't really need it. If you get a message like "channel not available" on some channels that you want to watch that are a part of the package you subscribe to, then you're probably going to need it.
Thanks, I won't call TiVo! The Roamio is just downloading the Summer 2014 update so I will soon find out what channels I can receive with the cable card.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #8
Ron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
You can just use MoCa to connect the Roamio, mini and to the router, just need a Moca adapter to the router, its built-in on Roamio Plus/Pro and Mini using only coax.

Only enable MoCa bridging on Roamio if its connected with ethernet.
Thanks for the advice! I connected to the internet using the Roamio's built-in WiFi which worked well. I had to set up another WiFi router that uses WAP2 because the Roamio couldn't see my WEP 802.11b network for some reason. Maybe just a hiccup in my LAN.

I am hoping to use the Roamio's WiFi for internet connection via my LAN and then MoCA between the Roamio and Mini to stream content. I guess that means bridging is out because of the slow WiFi. But I doubt if I will stream much internet content like YouTube between the Roamio and the Mini. (Hopefully I am understanding this correctly.)
Old 08-17-2014, 08:43 AM   #9
Ron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
I might suggest starting another topic and put Charter Cable in the title. I'm sure there are many Charter subscribers here that can tell you exactly what you need to do.

Anyway, welcome to TiVo.
Well, so far, so good. But as a forum newbie as well as a TiVo newbie, I'm early in the process so I think I better stick with one topic.

Thanks for the welcome, waynomo!
Old 08-17-2014, 08:56 AM   #10
BigJimOutlaw

You'll need the Roamio to be wired (one way or another) to get moca up and running. Your powerline plan was fine.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:57 AM   #11
UCLABB

Quote:
Well, so far, so good. But as a forum newbie as well as a TiVo newbie, I'm early in the process so I think I better stick with one topic.

Thanks for the welcome, waynomo!
I have Charter and yes, you will likely need it- that's why they gave you one! I think there are fewer SDV channels now, so whether you need it depends on what channel packages you have and what you watch.
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:37 PM   #12
Ron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
You'll need the Roamio to be wired (one way or another) to get moca up and running. Your powerline plan was fine.
Thanks for the confirmation, BigJimOutlaw; wired is how I will go. I really only need the electronic program guide and updates from the Internet so I was hoping the Roamio's built-in WiFi would be something the Roamio could do in conjunction with MoCA between it and the Mini and all would happily work. I will set up the Mini in the next day or two after I pick up a couple of splitters and then I will know if my current co-ax and splitters are up to the task of streaming via MoCA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLABB View Post
I have Charter and yes, you will likely need it- that's why they gave you one! I think there are fewer SDV channels now, so whether you need it depends on what channel packages you have and what you watch.
UCLABB, I called Charter to 'activate' the CableCARD in the Roamio and you are confirming what she told me. Charter requires the tuning adapter to transmit my channel request which I've read about but hoped the CableCARD could handle. She said if a neighbor on my node is also watching the same channel then I might be able to view that channel without the tuning adapter but otherwise I would be out of luck. It is a passive device from the users point of view so no big deal. The customer service representative said I should just return the unneeded set top box to my nearby office.

I asked the Charter CSR how many areas they are rolling out now and she said Charter does two or three a week. My service area has a population of about 100k. I know they are also doing another, much smaller area about 150 miles away. She said they have done about 300 rollouts so far.

The installation of the Roamio was simple and effortless. The CSR took all of five minutes, maybe less, to 'activate' my service, getting my information and then the on-screen info. She pointed out that I could have done this on-line but it was handy to be able to ask a few questions. I've spent the last couple of hours playing with the Roamio. The interface is something that will take getting used to after so many years with my old RePlayTVs which had far fewer capabilities and thus had a less complicated user interface, at least on first blush. The CableCARD connection, etc. certainly cleared up Charter's intentional interference!

I wouldn't mind having a full user guide for the TiVo just because I like to read the manuals for everything we have. But I'm sure I can find out how to do whatever I need from trial and error as well as with the help the members of this forum (and using its 'search' function.) I look forward to years of flawless use. But, because I paid for lifetime service, I did buy the TiVo offered warranty on the Roamio just in case.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:04 PM   #13
Ron S

For anyone curious, here is my out-of-pocket for the TiVo's. I bought a code from forum member spherular via eBay. I would have gone to spherular's web site for the code to eliminate eBay's cut but I was not aware of its existence at the time.

As mentioned in a prior post, I bought a warranty on the Roamio Pro because if the box fails I would also lose my 'Lifetime' subscription. Two Minis (w/'Lifetime,' no extra warranty because the warranty cost the same as the Roamio's) and two slide remotes.

Order Summary
-------------
Product Description Qty Item Price Tax Total

TiVo Package, Product Lifetime 1 $ 300.00 $ 0.00 $ 300.00

TiVo Roamio Pro 1 $ 399.99 $ 29.50 $ 429.49

3-year extended warranty 1 $ 39.99 $ 0.00 $ 39.99

TiVo Mini Bundle, Product Lifetime 1 $ 124.01 $ 0.00 $ 124.01

TiVo Mini (RA9200) 1 $ 49.99 $ 3.69 $ 53.68

TiVo Slide Pro Remote 1 $ 34.99 $ 2.58 $ 37.57

--------------------------------

Order Sub Total: $ 1,157.96

Shipping: $ 0.00

Tax: $ 42.04

Order Total: $ 1,200.00

>>>>>>>>

I saved $531.29 over TiVo's on-line store retail price including tax and my eBay bid. Thanks, spherular! I know there is a code offered by TiVo (code PLSR) that would have discounted the retail price by $100 but even had I used that route I still saved over $400 via spherular!

I also better put in a thank you to my wife who watches one series (The Good Wife) for green lighting this rather expensive purchase. And thumbs down to the FCC and Charter for all they did to make this unwanted and unneeded purchase necessary.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:06 PM   #14
tarheelblue32

Quote:
UCLABB, I called Charter to 'activate' the CableCARD in the Roamio and you are confirming what she told me. Charter requires the tuning adapter to transmit my channel request which I've read about but hoped the CableCARD could handle.
Not all channels require the tuning adapter, only SDV channels. You can easily see which channels are SDV channels when you turn off or disconnect the tuning adapter. The SDV channels will no longer be viewable.

Quote:
The customer service representative said I should just return the unneeded set top box to my nearby office.
If the cable box is free, I would keep it. They can sometimes be helpful for troubleshooting purposes or as a temporary backup if something ever goes wrong with the TiVo.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:02 PM   #15
rainwater

Quote:
Not all channels require the tuning adapter, only SDV channels. You can easily see which channels are SDV channels when you turn off or disconnect the tuning adapter. The SDV channels will no longer be viewable.
Most Charter systems that have Motorola head-ends (cablecards/tuning adapters) have a small amount of channels on SDV after the digital upgrade. However, it doesn't hurt to have it hooked up because the channels on SDV can change at anytime so there is really no point to not have it working correctly.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:25 PM   #16
Banker257

Quote:
For anyone curious, here is my out-of-pocket for the TiVo's. I bought a code from forum member spherular via eBay. I would have gone to spherular's web site for the code to eliminate eBay's cut but I was not aware of its existence at the time.

As mentioned in a prior post, I bought a warranty on the Roamio Pro because if the box fails I would also lose my 'Lifetime' subscription. Two Minis (w/'Lifetime,' no extra warranty because the warranty cost the same as the Roamio's) and two slide remotes.

Order Summary
-------------

>>>>>>>>

I saved $531.29 over TiVo's on-line store retail price including tax and my eBay bid. Thanks, spherular! I know there is a code offered by TiVo (code PLSR) that would have discounted the retail price by $100 but even had I used that route I still saved over $400 via spherular!

I also better put in a thank you to my wife who watches one series (The Good Wife) for green lighting this rather expensive purchase. And thumbs down to the FCC and Charter for all they did to make this unwanted and unneeded purchase necessary.
Better not let your wife find out you could have gotten a Genie or a Hopper for free while still sticking it to Charter and the FCC!
Banker257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:32 PM   #17
Banker257

Quote:

Order Summary
-------------

>>>>>>>>

Just curious, how much extra did you pay to save $531.29?
Old 08-17-2014, 11:44 PM   #18
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

For the OP. If you do use a tuning adapter, as well as MoCA, you should be aware of what my current signature says (the advice has helped so many, I made it my sig, for now):

"Cisco tuning adapters should never be used inline (using the TA coax OUT port) to connect a TiVo, if MoCA is in use. Use a splitter w/PoE filter on leg to TA, use other leg for the TiVo. Enjoy!"

Basically, if you use a Cisco TA & MoCA, you'll want to not use the OUT port of the TA for anything, and will need one additional two-way splitter & PoE filter to insure MoCA frequencies are blocked from getting into the TA (which can cause malfunctioning), while providing a path for the MoCA signals to traverse, without being adversely affected by the built-in amp inside the Cisco TA, which is not "MoCA-friendly", and lacks a built-in filter.

Good luck!
Old 08-18-2014, 06:43 AM   #19
Ron S

Quote:

If the cable box is free, I would keep it. They can sometimes be helpful for troubleshooting purposes or as a temporary backup if something ever goes wrong with the TiVo.
I will take your good advice as long as Charter doesn't charge for the set top box. More than I ever knew about SDV:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...dv/r_id/100041
Old 08-18-2014, 06:47 AM   #20
Ron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Most Charter systems that have Motorola head-ends (cablecards/tuning adapters) have a small amount of channels on SDV after the digital upgrade. However, it doesn't hurt to have it hooked up because the channels on SDV can change at anytime so there is really no point to not have it working correctly.
I understand. My misconception was that I needed a tuning adapter to get video on demand and other services that I would never use. I had never heard of switched digital video before the Charter encryption roll out.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:59 AM   #21
Ron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banker257 View Post
Better not let your wife find out you could have gotten a Genie or a Hopper for free while still sticking it to Charter and the FCC!
Hard to cut the cable. Inertia and all. Cable has always worked very well. And I gave little thought to satellite based on what I have seen and heard at a relative's.

My wife is the only breadwinner in the family so any expense greater than filling the fuel tank on my car has to be run by her . I'm retired collecting only social security, no pension, etc. We really, really didn't need this change-over because we were happy with what we had.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:12 AM   #22
Ron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banker257 View Post
Just curious, how much extra did you pay to save $531.29?
Well, I would say what I bid on eBay for the code but spherular is a member of this forum. spherular's auction did (and does) include a 'Make Offer' option which I used. The 'Buy it Now' was $49. The $531.29 saving over Tivo retail is after I deducted for the eBay payment.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:15 AM   #23
Ron S

My first (long) post mentions your signature! Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
For the OP. If you do use a tuning adapter, as well as MoCA, you should be aware of what my current signature says (the advice has helped so many, I made it my sig, for now):

"Cisco tuning adapters should never be used inline (using the TA coax OUT port) to connect a TiVo, if MoCA is in use. Use a splitter w/PoE filter on leg to TA, use other leg for the TiVo. Enjoy!"

Basically, if you use a Cisco TA & MoCA, you'll want to not use the OUT port of the TA for anything, and will need one additional two-way splitter & PoE filter to insure MoCA frequencies are blocked from getting into the TA (which can cause malfunctioning), while providing a path for the MoCA signals to traverse, without being adversely affected by the built-in amp inside the Cisco TA, which is not "MoCA-friendly", and lacks a built-in filter.

Good luck!

Old 08-18-2014, 07:38 AM   #24
Banker257

Quote:
Well, I would say what I bid on eBay for the code but spherular is a member of this forum. spherular's auction did (and does) include a 'Make Offer' option which I used. The 'Buy it Now' was $49. The $531.29 saving over Tivo retail is after I deducted for the eBay payment.
Nice!
Old 08-18-2014, 07:40 AM   #25
Banker257

Quote:
Hard to cut the cable. Inertia and all. Cable has always worked very well. And I gave little thought to satellite based on what I have seen and heard at a relative's.

My wife is the only breadwinner in the family so any expense greater than filling the fuel tank on my car has to be run by her . I'm retired collecting only social security, no pension, etc. We really, really didn't need this change-over because we were happy with what we had.
I understand completely. I was just having some fun with you.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:15 PM   #26
Bigg

Quote:
And thumbs down to the FCC and Charter for all they did to make this unwanted and unneeded purchase necessary.
Thumbs UP to Charter for FINALLY killing analog! Analog needed to die many years ago, it's an obsolete technology that few, low-value subscribers want that was hogging up massive amounts of bandwidth much better used for more HD programming that high-value subscribers want! Comcast was late to the game with killing analog, behind TWC, although they were the first MSO to do it pretty much system-wide (TWC still has many systems with analog), and Comcast did it back in the 2011 timeframe. Good riddance to analog, I'm glad it's gone and we can move on with more HD and faster internet.

And as far as the TA, why on earth would anyone NOT install it? Even if you don't see any SDV channels you care about, you might as well install it, and if at some point you want to watch one, or a Wishlist finds something on one, you can. If the channels you want are not SDV, then what's the worst thing that happens with the TA? It totally bombs out and you lose the extra channels that you can't get at all without it? You'd still have the non-SDV channels...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:17 PM   #27
mattack

Doesn't the TA going bonkers (which seems to happen a lot, based upon posts I see) also cause problems when trying to tune non-SDV channels?

You probably want to get rid of SD too. I like SD (and liked analog). SD for lower disk space usage, analog for "just split the cable and plug it into more devices". Long ago, I even was an HBO subscriber with no box. That was awesome.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:45 PM   #28
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Doesn't the TA going bonkers (which seems to happen a lot, based upon posts I see) also cause problems when trying to tune non-SDV channels?

You probably want to get rid of SD too. I like SD (and liked analog). SD for lower disk space usage, analog for "just split the cable and plug it into more devices". Long ago, I even was an HBO subscriber with no box. That was awesome.
If it's not in line with the TiVo's tuner, I don't see how it could. But I'm no expert on TAs. I'm on Comcast, so I don't have to deal with one.

In an ideal world, they should get rid of all SD channels that have an HD version available. In the real world, that would be completely impractical, because of the number of DTAs out there. What they should realistically do, after killing off analog, and moving all HD to MPEG-4 is leave the expanded basic lineup for the DTAs in MPEG-2 SD, but compress the snot out of those channels, since people with SD DTAs aren't going to notice anyways, kill off SD channels above expanded basic that have an HD version available, and then for the SD channels that don't, make them MPEG-4 as well, and give them plenty of bitrate so that only HD equipment can get them, they look really good, and any legacy SD equipment is relegated to Expanded Basic.

In the day and age of the 3TB TiVo, there is absolutely no good reason to watch an SD channel if your system has the HD version available. I deleted all of the duplicated SD channels out of my guide so that myself or my less tech-savvy roommates don't accidentally set a recording or SP on one of them. With a few exceptions here and there, most channels are available in HD, so with the upgrades I described above, channels that today aren't in HD on most cable systems could be sent in HD, so that virtually all viewing would be in HD.

Analog needed to go. It had it's day, and it has no place on modern digital cable systems. There is no rational justification for analog cable when the capacity is desperately needed for HD, SD digital, voice, internet, home security, and VOD. Analog cable not only provides poor picture quality, but without a DVR, TV is pretty useless. Further, analog cable was easy to steal, and the traps were a maintenance nightmare. Thank god that Comcast finally went all digital, removed all the traps in the systems, and locked down their systems so that people couldn't steal cable anymore.

HBO without a box is not awesome at all, because ~300 lines of resolution with analog degradation is not awesome at all compared to a nice 1080i feed of HBO. The only thing awesome about it was that sometimes you got the crappy looking HBO for free when they messed up the traps, although that didn't make it look any less crappy.

All cable systems are eventually going all-digital and at least mostly encrypted. It's just a matter of how long it takes various providers to get there. Some are procrastinating by kludging their way around the bandwidth problem with SDV. The days of analog and tons of Clear QAM channels are coming to an end.

The only place that horrible analog will live on is in university, hotel, and hospital TV systems. I wish those would die too, and bring the incumbent provider's signal directly to each room like some hotels and universities already do, as their private systems always suck hardcore, but that's another subject entirely.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:15 PM   #29
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
In the day and age of the 3TB TiVo, there is absolutely no good reason to watch an SD channel if your system has the HD version available....

HBO without a box is not awesome at all, because ~300 lines of resolution with analog degradation is not awesome at all compared to a nice 1080i feed of HBO. The only thing awesome about it was that sometimes you got the crappy looking HBO for free when they messed up the traps, although that didn't make it look any less crappy.
Umm, I'm talking about the early/mid 1990s with HBO without a box.. BTW, I even used my OLED S3 (now dead) and I think even my Tivo HD as analog only boxes for a while (mostly for more tuners). I went and bought my Premiere 4 the day after analog went away! Then within about a year I think, got my Roamio Plus. (There's no cable card in my Tivo HD, but it still has some old things and unfortunately it does closed captions that the newer Tivos don't do, in whatever the "old" way of transferring recordings to a computer is.. non-transport stream)

Even though I'm moving more recordings TO hd, and I should actually try the 4 TB upgrade.. I record tons of stuff, so even a 3-4 TB drive in all HD would fill up VERY quickly.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:41 PM   #30
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
If it's not in line with the TiVo's tuner, I don't see how it could.
It actually can, at least on TWC, because TWC has gone to a single channel number for both SD and HD. Every now and then my tuning adapter craps out and won't tune anything and I have to restart it. Even though the SD channel might be non-SDV, with the tuning adapter attached the TiVo won't tune in the SD channel because the tuning adapter is mapping the SDV HD channel to that channel number. You have to turn off or disconnect the tuning adapter so that the CableCard will take over the channel mapping to be able to tune in the non-SDV SD channel.