TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-20-2014, 08:34 AM   #1
El Gabito

Does Roamio and Mini have screensaver?

I am this close to purchasing a Roamio and mini to replace our DirecTV setup. I'm pretty nervous about doing so, as I've been with DirecTV since the original DirecTivos.

One thing I just thought of - does the Roamio and Mini have screensavers? How soon do they kick on? Is this configurable?

Having three plasmas, it would be a dealbreaker if there were no screensavers.

TIA!
El Gabito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:18 AM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

The Mini goes to a black screen with a floating message that says"Press TiVo or Live TV" that jumps to different location on the screen. Not adjustable The Roamio will just be on the channel it's on. I've never understood the need for a screensaver. I know I have never needed one. You turn off the TV when finished.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:39 AM   #3
waynomo
My One Time

I've accidentally left the TV on over night with a program paused. Would that be enough to cause burn in on a plasma?

Does the Mini go to Screensaver if the program is paused?
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:46 PM   #4
El Gabito

Sometimes I pause a show, life happens, etc and it might be 20-30 mins rather than the 5 mins I anticipated.

That's enough to do damage to a plasma with a static image. It'd probably go away eventually, but it's annoying. I also have kids. Kids don't always turn things off when they should (neither do wives).

So the answer is "no"?
Old 09-20-2014, 03:31 PM   #5
HerronScott

Last I recalled reading on the topic when we finally broke down and purchased our 65" plasma in 2010 is that this is a non-issue. Haven't had any issues with burn-in in 4 years and we have 2 TiVo S3 OLED's.

http://gizmodo.com/5416610/the-truth...screen-burn-in

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:24 PM   #6
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gabito View Post
Sometimes I pause a show, life happens, etc and it might be 20-30 mins rather than the 5 mins I anticipated.

That's enough to do damage to a plasma with a static image. It'd probably go away eventually, but it's annoying. I also have kids. Kids don't always turn things off when they should (neither do wives).

So the answer is "no"?
Ive got a Panasonic Plasma from 2007, and even in that vintage: its not "burn in".. more like a barely visible memory effect.... that disappears in literally moments once your image gets moving again. What kind of sets do you have?!?

It also has a setting that if it detects no remote usage for X time it auto warns and then shuts off. (As well as the option of a no-signal shutoff timer) It works great for me, like once in all these years of daily use did it pop up to shut down when I was watching something. Do your sets have that option?
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:09 PM   #7
ncted
A leaf on the wind

Depends on what year you bought the plasma, what brand, and what your picture settings are.

http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-pla...-burn-in-test/
Old 09-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #8
El Gabito

Sooo still from what I can tell nobody has answered my question. I appreciate all the wisdom on plasmas, but I'm really just looking for a yes/no as to whether tivos have a screen saver or auto-off feature.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:53 PM   #9
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Sooo still from what I can tell nobody has answered my question. I appreciate all the wisdom on plasmas, but I'm really just looking for a yes/no as to whether tivos have a screen saver or auto-off feature.
There is no screen saver on the Roamio. If you pause something, it will hold that image indefinitely.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #10
El Gabito

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2014, 02:09 PM   #11
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
There is no screen saver on the Roamio. If you pause something, it will hold that image indefinitely.
If you pause something that is already recorded..
If you pause live TV it will stay still until it reaches the end of the buffer then will drop to play.

But I'm not seeing the lack of a screensaver as such a large minus I'd not go Tivo, but then I see the lack of a screensaver as a non-issue, when I'm not watching I do what most people do, I turn off the TV.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:23 PM   #12
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
If you pause something that is already recorded..
If you pause live TV it will stay still until it reaches the end of the buffer then will drop to play.
True. So if you pause live TV on the Roamio it will hold that image for 30 minutes (the length of the buffer). If you pause a recording it holds the image indefinitely.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 09-21-2014 at 03:50 PM.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 03:35 PM   #13
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I answered it before. The Mini does have a screen saver. There is box that jumps around the screen. The Roamio has nothing like this. And will continue to play whatever channel it is on.

For me I use DLP and LCD so burn in is not an issue. I could leave a static image on the screen for many days and it would not cause any issues.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote