TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
mcf57

3 TiVos in the same room

I currently have a Series 3 (OLED) and a TiVo Mini in our main bedroom. I am using an older glo remote for both. It has the 1-2 switch on it and it works good.

I have another lifetime Series 3 (HD) and am trying to sell it on Craigslist. Until it sells, I thought about maybe putting it in this bedroom as well and use for additional storage (& connect it to another HDMI input on TV). I didn't do it before because I didn't think a 3rd TiVo unit could be used in the same room & controlled independently, but then I saw this:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...mote%20channel

I'm thinking I could program this 3rd TiVo in the same room to operate totally independent from the first 2 (with a 2nd TiVo remote). is this possible?

Last edited by mcf57 : 04-25-2014 at 02:39 PM.
mcf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:46 PM   #2
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcf57 View Post
I currently have a Series 3 (OLED) and a TiVo Mini in our main bedroom. I am using an older glo remote for both. It has the 1-2 switch on it and it works good.

I have another Series 3 (HD) and am trying to sell it on Craigslist. Until it sells, I thought about maybe putting it in this bedroom as well and use for additional storage. I didn't do it before because I didn't think a 3rd TiVo unit could be used in the same room, but then I saw this:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...mote%20channel

I'm thinking I could program this 3rd TiVo in the same room to operate totally independent from the first 2 (with a 2nd TiVo remote). is this possible?
Yes, but I'm not sure what the point is. If the only purpose is additional storage, it can be anywhere on the network. In any case, I'd recommend using your computer for this purpose rather than a TiVo.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:15 PM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

Just use a second remote for the thir box. You can use remote codes 1 to 9 for TiVo boxes. At one point I had eight sitting in one room when I was getting ready to sell my Premieres. All had a different remote code.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:21 PM   #4
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Just use a second remote for the thir box. You can use remote codes 1 to 9 for TiVo boxes. At one point I had eight sitting in one room when I was getting ready to sell my Premieres. All had a different remote code.
The trick here is setting the remote code on the third box w/o affecting the other two boxes.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:21 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yep there are 9 remote codes so you can technically have 9 TiVos in the same room. There was a point where I had 6 S2 units in the same room.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
The trick here is setting the remote code on the third box w/o affecting the other two boxes.
It's easy. If the 3rd box is still set to 0 then it will respond to any remote. So just set the remote to a code not being used by the other two TiVos and the 3rd one will still respond. Then navigate it to the system info screen and it will be assigned the new code.

The only time it's a problem is when you have two TiVos assigned the same code, or two assigned to 0. In that case just put a piece of electrical tape over the IR window so you can keep the other one from responding to the remote. Or just stand next to it and put your hand over it.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:32 PM   #7
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
It's easy. If the 3rd box is still set to 0 then it will respond to any remote. So just set the remote to a code not being used by the other two TiVos and the 3rd one will still respond. Then navigate it to the system info screen and it will be assigned the new code.

The only time it's a problem is when you have two TiVos assigned the same code, or two assigned to 0. In that case just put a piece of electrical tape over the IR window so you can keep the other one from responding to the remote. Or just stand next to it and put your hand over it.
Yes, and that's why it can be a bit tricky. Note that I did not say it was difficult. You also have be sure and never use the remote set for one TiVo while the other TiVo is on the System Info screen.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:20 PM   #8
unitron

Take a thick, dark bath towel folded over at least once.

Lift the front of the TiVo and trap one edge of the towel under the front feet.

Fold the towel over the front of the TiVo so that the other edge is on the top, and put something up there to keep it from slipping.

Do the same with all the other TiVos in the room that you do not want affected when you go to assign a remote address other than 0 to the TiVo without the towel.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:17 AM   #9
moonscape

I use the towel method too, except with a piece of foil which is easier for me to manipulate and not prone to the signal slipping through, i.e. user error
moonscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:23 AM   #10
mr.unnatural

You could also just unplug the Tivos you aren't programming. I used to open up magazines and drape them over the IR receiver to block the signal.

IIRC, if you use a remote with code 0 it acts like a master key and controls any Tivo it sees, regardless of what code they're set for. You should be setting each Tivo with individual codes from 1 to 9.

I used to work on a lot of Tivos so I'd have several of them in the same room at the same time. I've had as many as 5 or 6 working simultaneously with separate codes. I had a universal remote that I had programmed with all ten sets of codes so all I had to do was switch to the code set I needed for each Tivo. I had to put small stickers on the front of the Tivo so I'd remember which code operated each one.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:04 PM   #11
WO312

I just take a full section of newspaper and drape it over the front of the Tivo. Works fine to block the IR signal. And it's easy. If you subscribe to a newspaper.
WO312 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:30 PM   #12
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp
Yes, and that's why it can be a bit tricky. Note that I did not say it was difficult.
Covering the IR sensor on two other tivos instead of on just one other tivo does not make it tricky.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:32 PM   #13
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
I just take a full section of newspaper and drape it over the front of the Tivo. Works fine to block the IR signal. And it's easy. If you subscribe to a newspaper.
It's also easy if you don't subscribe to a newspaper. the method works no matter how you acquire the newspaper.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:21 PM   #14
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
It's also easy if you don't subscribe to a newspaper. the method works no matter how you acquire the newspaper.
Your neighbor would like a word.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote