TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:04 AM   #1
mburnno

Exclamation Roamino MRV problems

So I just purchased two Tivo Roamino plus models but I seem to be experiencing MRV problems. I have the same network configuration as I did with the premieres and everything worked fine. When I upgraded to the Roamino I started to experience problems.

If I try to watch a show while I am in the bedroom from the living room I keep getting the error message of "lost connection to the network" and if I wait for a few seconds the living room tivo reappears again.
This also happens if I try to watch a show from the bedroom while in the living room.

Both Roamino's are connected via cat 6 Ethernet cabling and are on the the same subnet on my network. This is exactly how I had my past Tivo's and have experience no problems until now. The other weird thing I have notice with the Roamino's is if you try to stream a show using the tivo app 70% of the time the Roamino's can't stream and you have to close out of the app and try again.

I keep getting the "low bandwidth" error message. For what is it worth, my wireless is less then three feet from the switch, Roamino and access point. So I can't see how I am getting a low bandwidth error message. I find this weird since I can stream Netflix to my iPad with no issues whats so ever.

I have the latest version of the tivo app on my IOS device and the most recent Tivo software on the Roamino that I am aware of. Has anybody else been seeing this issue? if so did you fix the problem?

Thanks
mburnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:18 AM   #2
Rkkeller

I have not had that problem, but I have noticed the Roamio will disappear when doing things even when it is online. I think its a software bug.

I was trying to transfer SP's on TiVo.com and once in a while it would just vanish. I was copying shows from my old Premier and would get the error Roamio not found or something like that when it was working fine. Shows would start to transfer then when I check again, it was cancelled due to some error.

I also had wifi cutting off or signal level going real low for no reason so I hardwired it.
Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #3
mburnno

I think this maybe a bug. I understand when launching a new product you are going to have some issues but I just wish Tivo would comment on it or at least say they are aware of it.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
Series3Sub

Well, this is a HUGE speed bump for me. I absolutely use MRV EVERYDAY. Aside from some transfers, I do stream between my two S4's everyday. I was waiting to buy Roamio to see if such bugs would pop up.

Yes, it sure would make me fell better if TiVo would cop to it, then we would know that TiVo is working on a fix. So, until the problem is fixed, I'll have to wait to get the Roamio. Sad to have to wait because I LOVE the reports on the Roamios performance overall. I am so ready to ditch (sell) my S4's and move up to what seems to be the superior Roamio, especially for the FOUR tuners.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
Rkkeller

I don't know if I would wait in hindsight as it works, just not 100%. The screen and speed improvements are sooooo nice, I don't even want to use my Premier anymore.
Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburnno View Post
So I just purchased two Tivo Roamino plus models but I seem to be experiencing MRV problems. I have the same network configuration as I did with the premieres and everything worked fine. When I upgraded to the Roamino I started to experience problems.

If I try to watch a show while I am in the bedroom from the living room I keep getting the error message of "lost connection to the network" and if I wait for a few seconds the living room tivo reappears again.
This also happens if I try to watch a show from the bedroom while in the living room.

Both Roamino's are connected via cat 6 Ethernet cabling and are on the the same subnet on my network. This is exactly how I had my past Tivo's and have experience no problems until now. The other weird thing I have notice with the Roamino's is if you try to stream a show using the tivo app 70% of the time the Roamino's can't stream and you have to close out of the app and try again.

I keep getting the "low bandwidth" error message. For what is it worth, my wireless is less then three feet from the switch, Roamino and access point. So I can't see how I am getting a low bandwidth error message. I find this weird since I can stream Netflix to my iPad with no issues whats so ever.

I have the latest version of the tivo app on my IOS device and the most recent Tivo software on the Roamino that I am aware of. Has anybody else been seeing this issue? if so did you fix the problem?

Thanks
Are you using a green Ethernet switch? This was suggested as a possible problem in one of the other threads. I was having the same issue when I had my Roamio Pro connected to a green gigabit Ethernet switch. But since connecting it to a non green gigabit Ethernet switch, the issue has not occurred. At least so far. But it's only been a couple of days. But with the Green switch the issue would have popped up a bunch of times by now.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
tmagnum000

I was having the exact same problem. I was using a trendnet green gigabit switch. I swapped it with a regular netgear 10/100 switch and its been running perfect (so far).
tmagnum000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:45 AM   #8
actionj

wow, I am using a green ethernet switch and am having same problems. If this is the fix than you guys are lifesavers as I was starting to pull my hair out. I hate calling support lines because I have 3 other tivos and much experience with networking but my new Roamio is experiencing the same issues described. I will swap out my "green" switches and post the results.
actionj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:13 AM   #9
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmagnum000 View Post
I was having the exact same problem. I was using a trendnet green gigabit switch. I swapped it with a regular netgear 10/100 switch and its been running perfect (so far).
I use a Trendnet green gigabit switch as well, one in each room that has ethernet, and I haven't had any problems. My Roamio Pro was able to transfer all of the content from my Elite without issue after just over 1.5 days. The Roamio is already over 50% full.

Maybe it's a specific model(s) having trouble? I'm using several TEG-S80G models uplinked together with multiple devices hanging off of each.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:31 AM   #10
MScottC

Dev... the switch in question didn't prevent transfers, it just kept taking down the streaming connection needed to have the mini play off the roamio.
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:16 AM   #11
mburnno

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Are you using a green Ethernet switch? This was suggested as a possible problem in one of the other threads. I was having the same issue when I had my Roamio Pro connected to a green gigabit Ethernet switch. But since connecting it to a non green gigabit Ethernet switch, the issue has not occurred. At least so far. But it's only been a couple of days. But with the Green switch the issue would have popped up a bunch of times by now.
You know I think I am using a green switch from Trendnet on one of the Tivo's. I don't understand why this would be causing the problem since it worked great on my past Tivo's. I could see if I hadn't transferred anything in a while and the switch went into power saving mode but if I am in the middle of watching a show while transferring then one would think data bits are moving so I wouldn't get this problem.

OK, that may explain this problem. When I get home I will have to check this out. What about the streaming to the iPad app? It is on a different switch which doesn't explain why I am getting "Low network bandwidth" error message.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #12
actionj

To clarify, I have 4 tivos setup right now and a 24 port D link as my main switch. I have two other small 8 port switches at 2 of the Tivo locations because I have multiple network connected devices at those tivo locations. The 8 port green trendnet is just one of the 2 mini switches. So I am going to start by replacing that switch and see if it is somehow "breaking or slowing" the MRV and transfers like is described here.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #13
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MScottC View Post
Dev... the switch in question didn't prevent transfers, it just kept taking down the streaming connection needed to have the mini play off the roamio.
Right, my thought was that the green switch should have still interrupted the MRV transfers enough to cause them to error out. Unless the Roamio handled the error so gracefully I didn't notice.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Old 09-07-2013, 02:30 AM   #14
actionj

Finally got to the bottom of the issue and it wasn't the switch. Other people have posted in other threads about this topic. Like I stated, I have my whole house wired with ethernet and networking with my 3 Premiers has been flawless. When I first setup my new Roamio, I put in my wireless network just to test. I finished setting up the Roamio and switched the connection to ethernet and even specified a static IP. Well the problems experienced in this thread showed up and I was pulling my hair out. I do IT networking for my job and was sure everything was setup great. Well I finally logged into my router and checked the IP table of connected devices and oddly my Roamio was listed as connected via a wireless connection. It seems that there is a glitch in the Roamio software where if you setup your Roamio via wireless and then switch to ethernet, even though the settings page shows it connected as ethernet, it will still use the wireless connection. There is no way I found to just clear the wireless settings so I finally I created a hotspot with my phone and had it join that network temporarily, rebooted the Roamio and finally the connection showed up in my router as an ethernet connection and all issues were instantly gone. Tivo needs to make an option to disable the wireless connection completely to make sure this scenario doesn't keep happening for lots of people. I was just messing around with wireless temporarily and never intended to use it long term.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #15
aaronwt
HD Addict

When I setup my Roamio PRo with wireless, before getting a new cable card, as soon as I plugged in an EThernet cable in to the Roamio, the wireless connection dropped. When I unplugged the EThernet cable, the wireless connection came back.

But I also set up wireless after initially setting it up with EThernet.

After getting a new cable card and performing a C&D on everything, I only set it up with a wired connection. I didn't touch wireless or MoCA.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #16
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
When I setup my Roamio PRo with wireless, before getting a new cable card, as soon as I plugged in an EThernet cable in to the Roamio, the wireless connection dropped. When I unplugged the EThernet cable, the wireless connection came back.

But I also set up wireless after initially setting it up with EThernet.

After getting a new cable card and performing a C&D on everything, I only set it up with a wired connection. I didn't touch wireless or MoCA.
When you bridge with a TP you see MoCA + EThernet, with the Roamio when I set it up using just the MoCA it will show just the MoCA but when I tried to bridge my HDTV to the Roamio the MoCA went away and only the EThernet would show, BUT the Roamio was connected by the MoCA!

Old 09-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #17
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
When you bridge with a TP you see MoCA + EThernet, with the Roamio when I set it up using just the MoCA it will show just the MoCA but when I tried to bridge my HDTV to the Roamio the MoCA went away and only the EThernet would show, BUT the Roamio was connected by the MoCA!
I was checking my AP. The wireless would drop off when it disconnected and went back to Ethernet.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #18
mburnno

Lightbulb so is the switch really the problem or buggy software?

I really don't know if this is a wireless issue. I have the plus model and I have never turned on the wireless to even play with it, so I don't know if that is the problem. What I do know is that my past tivo's seem to work great without any hiccups at all using the exactly same setup switch and all. I wonder when you use the tivo app on the iPad if it is talking to the tivo in wireless mode or going through the ethernet connection once it hits your access point? I would agree that I think this is a bug in the tivo software. What I can tell you is that this issue is killing me from watch shows in other rooms using MRV.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #19
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devx View Post
I use a Trendnet green gigabit switch as well, one in each room that has ethernet, and I haven't had any problems. My Roamio Pro was able to transfer all of the content from my Elite without issue after just over 1.5 days. The Roamio is already over 50% full.

Maybe it's a specific model(s) having trouble? I'm using several TEG-S80G models uplinked together with multiple devices hanging off of each.
Hey, quick aside: Is there an easy way to tell the Roamio "transfer all you possibly can from this other TiVo?" Cause that would be awesome. Lot less clicky.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:44 AM   #20
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
Hey, quick aside: Is there an easy way to tell the Roamio "transfer all you possibly can from this other TiVo?" Cause that would be awesome. Lot less clicky.
That would be really great but unfortunately not. A great time to become very familiar with the new remote.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Old 09-09-2013, 01:48 AM   #21
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburnno View Post
I really don't know if this is a wireless issue. I have the plus model and I have never turned on the wireless to even play with it, so I don't know if that is the problem. What I do know is that my past tivo's seem to work great without any hiccups at all using the exactly same setup switch and all. I wonder when you use the tivo app on the iPad if it is talking to the tivo in wireless mode or going through the ethernet connection once it hits your access point? I would agree that I think this is a bug in the tivo software. What I can tell you is that this issue is killing me from watch shows in other rooms using MRV.
It should be going through Ethernet after the access point. The iPad would still be paired wirelessly with the AP.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Old 09-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #22
tivosupport_kristina
TiVo Representative

Hello TiVo Customers,

I am very glad to hear that some of you were able to get things up and going. However, we do not support having the TiVo devices connected to a switch or a hub of any sort. It does not necessarily that it won't work, it just means that we cannot guarantee or help to make it work. We do apologize for the inconvenience and thank you to all of those who share their knowledge with how to get around things like this!

Thank you,
Kristina
tivosupport_kristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #23
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivosupport_kristina View Post
Hello TiVo Customers,

I am very glad to hear that some of you were able to get things up and going. However, we do not support having the TiVo devices connected to a switch or a hub of any sort. It does not necessarily that it won't work, it just means that we cannot guarantee or help to make it work. We do apologize for the inconvenience and thank you to all of those who share their knowledge with how to get around things like this!

Thank you,
Kristina
Kristina,

Go talk to the engineers that actually work on the TiVo development and get confirmation that they "don't work with switches" because I think you will get a different answer.

Not supporting switches is ridiculous. If you don't support switches than you should not have a damn ethernet port on it.

//update

Just tweeted Margret Schmidt to see if she is on board with this "no switch support" nonsense.

For the record, even when you connect the TiVo to a "router" in the home Kristina, that is a SWITCH. There are also laws/regulations in some areas that would require TiVo to support the ethernet port on the Roamio when it is being connected to other Ethernet compliant devices, so insisting you don't support might not only be outrageous to those of us who know anything about networking, it also might not be allowed legally.

Last edited by jmpage2 : 09-10-2013 at 05:08 PM.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #24
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivosupport_kristina View Post
Hello TiVo Customers,

I think you mean they don't support wireless for streaming video/MRS. It is impossible to not support a switch. Even a home router is a switch. Without a switch, you would have only one port for your entire home network from your ISP! I don't think anyone would be OK with connecting just a single device for their entire house.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #25
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
I think you mean they don't support wireless for streaming video/MRS. It is impossible to not support a switch. Even a home router is a switch. Without a switch, you would have only one port for your entire home network from your ISP! I don't think anyone would be OK with connecting just a single device for their entire house.
In 1997 when I first got a cable modem , there was no switch it, just one port. I ran that to a PC that was setup as a DHCP server. And had several Ethernet cards in it that connected to the PCs I had on my network. I think the next two modems I owned were the same way as well but I never went to a router until they came out with a consumer router with gigabit ports on them. I don't think I ever owned a cable modem with multiple ports on it. But the last time I bought one was back in 2005 or 2006 and I got FiOS in 2007 so I haven't used one since.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #26
jmpage2

Your PC with multiple NICs was either a router or a switch. The bottom line is the only way to connect your TiVo Ethernet port to something other than a hub or a switch would be to connect it directly to your cable modem and leave the rest of your network stranded.

TiVo technical support is clearly out of their depth on this one.

Margret has not responded to the tweets asking for comment on this. I invite more to tweet her and try to get a response.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #27
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Your PC with multiple NICs was either a router or a switch. The bottom line is the only way to connect your TiVo Ethernet port to something other than a hub or a switch would be to connect it directly to your cable modem and leave the rest of your network stranded.

TiVo technical support is clearly out of their depth on this one.

Margret has not responded to the tweets asking for comment on this. I invite more to tweet her and try to get a response.
Must be they only mean they cannot help you troubleshoot your switch or networking. Cannot blame them.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #28
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
Must be they only mean they cannot help you troubleshoot your switch or networking. Cannot blame them.
Absolutely they can and should be blamed. Ethernet is a standard and if they put an Ethernet port on their device they have to support it.

Saying they don't support hubs and switches is like them saying they have no responsibility to investigate HDMI problems when you connect an AVR to the TiVo.

It is ridiculous and it's why consumer protection laws exist.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #29
razor237

I think she is most certainly mistaken, it would be impossible for them not to support hubs/switches in what they are trying to do with the roamio and ability to hook up multiple tivo mini's through your house with a stream in the mix how can there not be switches in your network setup
razor237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #30
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor237 View Post
I think she is most certainly mistaken, it would be impossible for them not to support hubs/switches in what they are trying to do with the roamio and ability to hook up multiple tivo mini's through your house with a stream in the mix how can there not be switches in your network setup
I think you have a very different definition of "support" than TiVo uses. TiVo got badly burned in the early wired and wireless eras when they tried help users with their networking, including lists of wired or wireless devices that worked or didn't. They spent a fortune on support costs and left large number of users upset when TiVo couldn't solve their network problems for them. TiVo vowed never to repeat that, and will only "support" specific devices (the TiVo G and N wireless adapters, the approved disk expander).

I'm sure they recognize the current network problems and recognize their responsibility for solving their problems. What they will not do is try and solve an individual's network problems for them, for example by recommending for or against specific switches. They got burned by giving advice in the past on outside devices that their support staff did not know enough about to properly give advice. So an individual looking for TiVo for advice on how to solve their network problem with switches is not going to get it. The TiVo staff is not and should not be trained for dealing with that.

What TiVo could do a better job at is collecting info about this and other problems - they have reached out very nicely on a couple of other Roamio issues, but everything is done on an ad hoc basis, with no general mechanism (at least one apparent to us). That doesn't help the person calling in who wants individual support, but at least shows TiVo is working on the problem.