TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-28-2014, 05:01 PM   #1
bcfedee

Do you recommend buying an UPS for Tivo?

What are your feelings on the desirability of an UPS for Tivo? If I get one I'm going to spring for the one with filtration from Panamax. Not a small expense. But I'm not convinced I really need one. I've got Tivo hooked up to good filtration and surge protection all ready. So the only thing I'd add would defense against losing a show in mid record. But If I'm recording a cable show, they are usually replayed soon after as a rerun.

What do you guys thing? Good way to save money by not getting one or a necessity with a new Tivo Roamio?

The UPS won't run my TV (too much amps needed). So I wouldn't be able to watch Tivo during an outage. the UPS would only be protection from Tivo having to reboot after outage and from losing part of the show it's recording when outage occurs.
bcfedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:25 PM   #2
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I have a UPS that both my TV and TiVo are connected too, and it can handle the amperage of both just fine.

Last time we lost power, nobody even noticed for several minutes.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:32 PM   #3
bcfedee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I have a UPS that both my TV and TiVo are connected too, and it can handle the amperage of both just fine.

Last time we lost power, nobody even noticed for several minutes.
do you have LCD? I'm still using a CRT for the black levels :_)

CRT uses lots more power, unfortunately.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
SOCATivo

I would only do this if my local power were prone to spikes which might damage my Tivo. And even then a UPS is really overkill, some surge protection stuff would be all I’d probably go for.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:30 PM   #5
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I use an APC 500 UA with battery backup to protect on power problems. Possibilities are spikes, brownouts, blackouts, switchovers. Switchovers are when they switch the power lines to another source and the power interrupts for a few seconds. It would interrupt a Tivo which would restart itself and last from 3-5 minutes.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:00 PM   #6
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

I believe in them, I have had a Tivo since 2005 and never yet (knock on wood) had a problem. Power goes out in my house and the house is full of chirping alarms!

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:29 PM   #7
tenthplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcfedee View Post
What are your feelings on the desirability of an UPS for Tivo? If I get one I'm going to spring for the one with filtration from Panamax. Not a small expense. But I'm not convinced I really need one. I've got Tivo hooked up to good filtration and surge protection all ready. So the only thing I'd add would defense against losing a show in mid record. But If I'm recording a cable show, they are usually replayed soon after as a rerun.

What do you guys thing? Good way to save money by not getting one or a necessity with a new Tivo Roamio?

The UPS won't run my TV (too much amps needed). So I wouldn't be able to watch Tivo during an outage. the UPS would only be protection from Tivo having to reboot after outage and from losing part of the show it's recording when outage occurs.
If you don't lose power very often you probably don't need one, if you are subject to power outages with quick on and off cycles you do. Those quick cycles can take their toll on hard drives over time and since that is where your recordings are stored, better safe than sorry.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:12 AM   #8
mr.unnatural

I'd recommend a UPS for any home entertainment device or PC, especially if you live in an area that's prone to frequent brownouts or power spikes. This tends to happen most often during the summer months when the power grid gets loaded down due to high use of air conditioners.

A UPS that regulates and filters the power along with surge protection will provide the best protection and longevity for your Tivo. Clean regulated power will keep your electronics happy and stress-free. I've always been of the mindset that dirty power and frequent spikes are the root cause of so many Tivo power supply failures (i.e., blown capacitors).
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:18 AM   #9
dave13077

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good UPS that's under a $100 and also has the ability to silence any alarms. One of these will be in a bedroom and I want to be able to set it so it doesn't make any noise. THX
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:07 PM   #10
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Look at the Cyberpower brand - they have silenceable alarms for less than the competition. Go to http://cyberpower.advizia.com/CyberP...CyberPower_UPS and near the bottom of the left hand column select "Alarm can be silenced on the UPS"

I tend to buy at least a 650 VA UPS, but there are cheaper, smaller ones
Old 03-29-2014, 04:10 PM   #11
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Those who don't search are doomed to repetitive, redundant discussion:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=514588

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=456889

But hey, I don't mean to spoil your fun!

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:36 AM   #12
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
do you have LCD? I'm still using a CRT for the black levels :_)

CRT uses lots more power, unfortunately.
Use a plazma....I get better black levels with my plazma than I did with my CRT. Yeah it uses more power than an LCD but less than a CRT.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:36 PM   #13
bcfedee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Use a plazma....I get better black levels with my plazma than I did with my CRT. Yeah it uses more power than an LCD but less than a CRT.
I was going to get a plasma this year, 2014. But with the news from panasonic I decided to not buy one. I'm hopeful for an OLED in the next few years.

Only reason I'll be able to buy new Tivo is cause I'm holding out on new TV
Old 03-30-2014, 06:10 PM   #14
awsnyde

There are LCDs with great black levels, but they use full-array LED backlighting instead of the much more common, and much less expensive, edge-lit. The full-array Samsung I have has literally inky blacks.

They're probably still less expensive than OLEDs will be for some time, and the Samsung at least has a better picture than the Philips plasma I used to have.

As for the OP's question, I recommend a UPS on anything with a hard drive.
awsnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:16 PM   #15
bcfedee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13077 View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good UPS that's under a $100 and also has the ability to silence any alarms. One of these will be in a bedroom and I want to be able to set it so it doesn't make any noise. THX
The APC 600UPS is under $100 and can silence the alarm. But to silence the alarm you have to install their software and connect the UPS to your computer. I installed the software on an old Windows computer I have. It has worked great so far for what I use it for. Hate the alarms. I don't buy UPS if it can't silence the alarm.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:39 AM   #16
PaJo

Many years ago we had the Dtivo, and for some reason the power went on and off rapidly causing several reboots in a row, 3 of our 4 Dtivo were OK but the 4th did not survive, the software was corrupted. I had a backup image and it was not a problem restoring it and getting DTV to reset it, but it took time. After that I hooked up a UPS and never had a problem since, if the lights flicker the Tivo keeps going. The batteries do go bad in a UPS and I had to change a couple over the years. I don't worry about having a UPS that goes a long time, I just want protection from the short flickering type power outages that are enough to cause a reboot - I have our CCTV DVR on a ups as well as our OOMA phone etc. for the same reason.
PaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:28 PM   #17
trip1eX

A UPS is a luxury rather than any sort of necessity for a Tivo.

If you want one then get one. But as far as any really rational reason to get one I'm not seeing it.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:11 PM   #18
SNJpage1

You can turn the warning buzzer off on any UPS. Either thru software or by breaking the buzzer itself. I had to break the buzzer on one of mine.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:13 PM   #19
SNJpage1

Now that I have installed a whole house generator I might move one of my computer UPS's to the Tivo. The back up generator takes 30 seconds to come on line so I dont need three UPS's any more.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:43 PM   #20
javabird

Quote:
I was going to get a plasma this year, 2014. But with the news from panasonic I decided to not buy one. I'm hopeful for an OLED in the next few years.

Only reason I'll be able to buy new Tivo is cause I'm holding out on new TV
What news from Panasonic?

BTW, I have a Panny plasma and I absolutely love it. And I've always been very picky about picture quality and color balance.
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:57 PM   #21
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabird View Post
What news from Panasonic?
I believe they announced that they are getting out of the plasma game.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:03 AM   #22
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

A friend of mine got hit by a lightening strike on the pole right outside his house. It ruined everything connected to a electric outlet including the stove, fridg', and dish washer. The lightening blew past UPSes and surge protectors.

That isn't likely to happen to you, but it is a possibility, so best to have home owners insurance for replacement value.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #23
gweempose

I have whole house surge protectors, but I still have everything with a hard drive hooked up to a UPS. I also have all of my network gear on battery backup. This includes my cable modem, router, and all switches and wireless access points. On top of that, I also have my cable amplifier hooked up to a UPS. This ensures that if the power goes down briefly while my TiVos are recording or transferring something, they will not be affected.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:51 PM   #24
SNJpage1

A lot of people don't really under stand what a surge protector is. It isn't to protect you from a lightning strike. Nothing will help you if it hits near by. It is mainly to protect delicate equipment from power surges caused by motors such as freezers, washers, refrig's heater blowers and stuff like that starting up. They cause a spike in the voltage that travels thru the wiring in the house.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:36 PM   #25
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
A lot of people don't really under stand what a surge protector is. It isn't to protect you from a lightning strike. Nothing will help you if it hits near by. It is mainly to protect delicate equipment from power surges caused by motors such as freezers, washers, refrig's heater blowers and stuff like that starting up. They cause a spike in the voltage that travels thru the wiring in the house.
You can't protect electronics from any direct lightning strike or from 250VAC getting into you 120VAC wiring, this does not happen very often but your best protection is a good home owners insurance policy. My next door neighbor had the 250VAC problem, took out everything plugged in, the electric co took care of fixing him up as it was their fault. My whole house surge protector when out once in the last 15 years, had to replace it, but I don't know if that saved any of my electronics. (I check the surge protector lights now and then)

Old 04-02-2014, 03:13 PM   #26
SNJpage1

When I worked for the phone company, I saw what lightning can do. Our cables took a lot of direct hits. I also ended up working on a house that their TV tower took a hit. It moved the house 2 inchs off the foundation. It also sent a lot of the dry wall nails from the outside wall and sent them thru a wall on the opposite side of the room and into the hall way.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:37 PM   #27
evanborkow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
Now that I have installed a whole house generator I might move one of my computer UPS's to the Tivo. The back up generator takes 30 seconds to come on line so I dont need three UPS's any more.
I've had an automatic generator for 20 years. A lot can happen in that 30 seconds; ie rapid on/off cycles that can kill your electronics. I'd leave that ups on the computer and get another for the Tivo.
evanborkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #28
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13077 View Post
I bought a Cyberpower CST1300AL at the local Costco today for $95:

http://www2.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11750788&whse=BD_563&Ne=5000001%20400000 0&eCat=BD_563|11157|91771&N=4049125%204294891503&Mo=0&No=0&N r=P_CatalogName:BD_563&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&topnav=national

Despite the different model number, it is the exact same unit as the CP1350AVRLCD that Amazon currently sells for $135:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #29
lessd

When I got a new computer in 2009 I looked at my UPS and found that in idle it was using about 30 watts, my new UPS (CyberPower) uses less than 5 watts (when the batteries are fully charged) FYI 1 watt at 24/7 cost most people about $1 to $1.50/year except in CA it could cost more than $2.50/year)

Old 04-07-2014, 07:04 PM   #30
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
A UPS is a luxury rather than any sort of necessity for a Tivo.

If you want one then get one. But as far as any really rational reason to get one I'm not seeing it.
I've always considered it a necessity. Just like a UPS with cordless phones. I've used them with cordless phones since the early 90's. And I've always had my TiVos connected to a UPS. Heck all of my electronics are connected to a UPS. I've never plugged a TiVo into an outlet without going through a UPS.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote