TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-06-2014, 09:53 AM   #1
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Release the Android TiVo Stream update already

I would love a reason to spend a little money i.e. buy a TiVo Stream. Not on iOS overpriced for what it is, trash. My phone and my tablet are Android. I get it, TiVo launched on the devices for simple people first. Geeks; are however invested in Android and we have awaited patiently. Impatience is growing beyond disappointment becoming anger.

Last edited by PCurry57 : 08-07-2014 at 08:44 AM.
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
tomhorsley

My theory is that they are waiting for Android users to start a campaign to buy controlling interest in TiVo so they can get the stock price up .
tomhorsley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:08 PM   #3
David Platt
Have an A-1 Day!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Maybe all the self-righteousness is delaying it.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:49 AM   #4
Nak

I agree, it's long beyond time for Tivo to pay attention to the other half of it's subscribers. However, I am at a loss as to why this debate always has to devolve--or in this case start--into a battle between fans of two different tablet operating systems? I mean seriously, how can anyone actually care enough about the tablet someone else uses to slander them over it?

For the record, I use Android devices as IOS does not meet my needs. I assume that IOS meets the needs of Apple users. Can't we just leave it at that?

OK, Tivo, TWO YEARS AGO you promised Android support was "coming soon". to Stream. How about an apology, an explanation, and a reasonable timetable?
Nak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:53 AM   #5
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I played with some brand new Samsung Android tablets at Best Buy today. They are all laggy just swiping between home screens. They were all jerky trying to scroll web pages. And they skipped frames playing YouTube videos.

Maybe TiVo is waiting for them to be able to actually display content correctly? Or all five Android tablets that I tried at Best Buy were defective?
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:41 AM   #6
Nak

I don't think that is the issue at all. I have no idea what is up with the tablets you looked at, but that certainly isn't typical by any means. My two year old Samsung tablet isn't even the slightest bit laggy. In fact, it was so much better at displaying media that my wife sold her Ipad3, purchasing another Samsung to replace the Ipad.

It's possible that shoppers loaded massive numbers of widgets on to the tablets you saw, which will slow any tablet down.

Netflix, Comcast Xfinity and Youtube all have apps that stream content to Android tablets flawlessly, and have had those apps for years. Android performance isn't the issue.
Nak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:38 AM   #7
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
I played with some brand new Samsung Android tablets at Best Buy today. They are all laggy just swiping between home screens. They were all jerky trying to scroll web pages. And they skipped frames playing YouTube videos.

Maybe TiVo is waiting for them to be able to actually display content correctly? Or all five Android tablets that I tried at Best Buy were defective?
I would say something else was wrong, your experience is not a good example of Android operation. Whether there was something wrong with Best Buy's internet access or the tablets were running something else or set up improperly, I sure can't say, but I can say is I use Android tablets and an Android smart phone and that is not normal.

Do you really think Android would have such a large percentage of the tablet and smart phone market if that was normal?
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:13 AM   #8
BigJimOutlaw

An explanation would be nice, but at least folks have a timetable...

BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:33 AM   #9
tomhorsley

I'll believe it when it is running on my Nexus 7 :-)
tomhorsley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:32 PM   #10
trip1eX

Don't worry. Soon you'll be able to watch TV on your 5", 7" and 9" screens too.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote