TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-14-2014, 10:41 AM   #1
ManOfSteele

Yet another Roamio reboot issue

In doing a forum search I see there have been several people with Roamio reboot issues. I've had my Roamio for about two months and did not have a single issue until a week or so. Since then, the Roamio has been rebooting frequently, although primarily when streaming content via a Mini. I've been working with TiVo Support on the problem and it isn't looking good. Meaning that they had me check signal strengths and other diagnostics, change cables, etc., all to no avail. They don't really seem to know what the problem is. Originally I thought the problem was occurring on a specific Mini and I swapped it out for another Mini from another room but that did not help. Within a short period of time while watching TV on the "new" Mini the Roamio rebooted.

I've since seen reboots occur while watching TV from three different Minis in three different rooms (although it definitely happens more frequently it seems from one specific Mini). I've also observed the Roamio rebooting while no active streaming from a Mini was occurring, once at 2:00 am and once yesterday around 10:00 am.

In the six years I owned my TiVoHD I never had a single unexpected reboot, so although I do like the Roamio, this issue has soured things a bit. I'm not convinced that it's a hardware problem, although I am puzzled why the reboots have only just started after two months from flawless service. I'd hate to return my Roamio for servicing (and lose 300 hours of recorded content) if the replacement has the same reboot issue.

Does anyone have any similar recent experience with their Roamio/Minis? Are there any system logs I can download after a reboot occurs that might shed some light on what's causing the reboots?

Peter
Old 04-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #2
jwbelcher

Its not hardware. I've seen them on the Roamio and multiple Minis. For me they started well before 20.4.1. I believe this is known issue. As fyi, TiVoMargret indicated there were reboot issues in February related to service calls. As such, I'd suggest holding on to your unit until TiVo sorts things out.
Sony SAT-T60 + Turbonet (Retired)
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:54 AM   #3
tarheelblue32

Random reboots are completely unacceptable. I'm thankful that my Roamio has yet to begin exhibiting this behavior, but TiVo has to fix this problem immediately. My crappy TWC DVR never experienced random reboots, and there is really no good reason why a Roamio should be experiencing them.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:57 AM   #4
ManOfSteele

One thing I forgot to mention was that the reboots started the same day I replaced the TV the Roamio was hooked to with a new "smart TV" (by Samsung). Within the hour after it was hooked up the Roamio started exhibiting this reboot problem. I've disabled the HDMI-CEC feature of the TV, as I've heard that can cause problems, but that did not solve the problem. I also tried removing the HDMI cable entirely for a period and during that time there were no reboots, but I wouldn't call the test conclusive because hours can pass between reboots so I may have just got lucky.

Still, since the reboot problem started with the new TV being installed, it sure makes me think it's somehow related. Beyond signals being passed along the HDMI cable though, the Roamio should be unaware that there is a new TV there.

My next test is to replace the HDMI cable with a component video cable for a few days. I have a suspicion this will solve the problem, but I don't really want to go back to component video permanently.

Last edited by ManOfSteele : 04-16-2014 at 11:35 AM.
ManOfSteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:14 AM   #5
tatergator1

Tivo seems to really be struggling with HDMI handshake issues. I have personally never had a problem with it and am running 2 new Samsung Tv's and and a older Mitsubishi, all on HDMI.

Since your reboot problem started with the new TV, it's almost certainly the issue. As you suspect, the reboots should disappear with a component cable setup. Another option to get back to HDMI would be to add a HDMI switch in-line to the connection to your TV. Many users had success using this option when dealing with issues with Tivo Minis rebooting when the TV was first turned on and connected via HDMI.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:41 PM   #6
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

20.4.1 update which is rolling out to folks who signed, has more fixes for HDMI compatibility issues...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=516208
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:05 PM   #7
jmbach

How is your Roamio and the Smart TV connected to the Internet.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:22 PM   #8
ManOfSteele

I have a wired connection to the TV. I currently have all "smart" functions disabled though to eliminate that as a possible source. So right now my smart TV isn't so smart...

I've got the Roamio connected via component now. So far no reboots but it hasn't been very long. The quality appears to be very good, coming in at 1080i. The question I have is would there in fact be a difference in quality between HDMI and component?
Old 04-16-2014, 08:30 PM   #9
jmbach

Is the Roamio wired as well.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:42 AM   #10
ManOfSteele

Yes, the Roamio is wired as well.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:45 AM   #11
jmbach

At 1080i the quality is the same. Might want to use optical connection to keep audio quality the same. What OS is the TiVo running. Consider a fixed IP for the Roamio and make sure your DHCP server does not dish out that IP to another device.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:36 PM   #12
ManOfSteele

I already have optical audio so I'm good to go there, and the video quality looks fine, although my wife says she doesn't think it's as good as the HDMI quality. I'm not convinced. Based on some research I did this morning there can in fact be a difference.

I'm not at home right now so I don't know the specific OS version I'm currently running. I assume it's not the 20.4.1 release that was mentioned in an earlier post; I intend to request a priority update if its not.

I certainly could setup a static IP for the Roamio, but I don't think this would have any impact on my reboot issue...
Old 04-17-2014, 12:48 PM   #13
jmbach

Probably not. Sometimes some equipment may reboot if it loses its IP address when it is time to renew it and it fails to renew after several attempts. Not sure if TiVo is one of those. Just trying to eliminate variables.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:33 AM   #14
ManOfSteele

For anyone interested, I got the 20.4.1 upgrade and this did not solve the problem--the Roamio still reboots when connected via HDMI to the Samsung. The TiVo Roamio definitely doesn't like my Smart TV. Fortunately component video works. I suspect I won't see a fix for this HDMI issue from TiVo anytime soon...
Old 04-22-2014, 11:35 AM   #15
dcpmark

After months of flawless usage, I had my first reboot (that I've noticed) on my Pro while watching a recording a few days ago. No problems yet with any of my Minis. Hope this isn't the start of bad things to come.
dcpmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #16
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOfSteele View Post
For anyone interested, I got the 20.4.1 upgrade and this did not solve the problem--the Roamio still reboots when connected via HDMI to the Samsung. The TiVo Roamio definitely doesn't like my Smart TV. Fortunately component video works. I suspect I won't see a fix for this HDMI issue from TiVo anytime soon...
I have my Roamio hooked to my Samsung smart TV u55f8000 without problems.
You may have already tried this but try different HDMI inputs on the TV and different HDMI cables if you have not done this already. When I bought my TV, the salesman made a point that I should use newer HDMI cables as the older ones may give me issues.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:58 PM   #17
ustavio

Methinks the last few posts are either spam or someone consumed a bucket of peyote.
ustavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:02 PM   #18
ustavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustavio View Post
Methinks the last few posts are either spam or someone consumed a bucket of peyote.
Spam Removal Response Team comes through again!. Many many thanks.
ustavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:30 AM   #19
ManOfSteele

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
You may have already tried this but try different HDMI inputs on the TV and different HDMI cables if you have not done this already. When I bought my TV, the salesman made a point that I should use newer HDMI cables as the older ones may give me issues.
I tried using the HDMI 2 port on my TV last night and the TiVo ran without issues for some 5+ hours. When I headed to bed I powered the Samsung off and *poof* the Roamio immediately rebooted. So clearly some kind of control signal was transmitted over the HDMI cable that the Roamio can't handle.

The other interesting thing from this experiment is that the HDMI 2 port seemed to behave better than HDMI 1. My last experiment using port 1 lasted only 40 minutes before the Roamio rebooted, and that was a spontaneous reboot, not tied to the TV being powered off.

I'm pretty sure the HDMI cable I am currently using is one that came with one of the Minis. I can get a "newer" cable, but I think what I have is about as new as I can get.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #20
jmbach

I bought a Radio Shack HDMI cable that supported 3D, 4k, and a couple of other things to use with my Roamio Samsung combination. Also the HDMI port I am using on my Samsung is labeled STB/HDMI.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:44 PM   #21
mmf01

Just noticed my Roamio Pro rebooted last night at 10:09 PST. Lost half of deadliest catch season premiere because of this. My Sony TV had HDMI control turned on. Turned it off and will see if makes a difference. Had several other reboots previously, but that was back in Feb with the other reboots folks were seeing.
mmf01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:21 AM   #22
TEG

Well, just received a replacement for my Roamio, and I can't even get it through the guided setup without it restarting. I've tried to force it to download the OS again, but that doesn't seem to work, as it just enters Guided Setup anyway. Any thoughts?
TEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:13 AM   #23
ManOfSteele

Here's an odd one. When we watch the Rachel Maddow show on the main TV/Roamio, it works fine. When we watch it from a TV hooked up to a TiVo Mini though, the Roamio reboots. This isn't an HDMI problem since I am using component video. TiVo clearly has to address these reboot isssues with the Roamio.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:23 PM   #24
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

One of my Roamio basic just locked up and after a bit, rebooted. I was rewinding a show and the playing it in slow motion when I hit the play to resume, the Tivo wouldn't respond to the remote, the yellow activity light was flashing for every remote keyless but nothing responded. Finally the tv went blank and I I had the Tivo startup screen.

I think this perhaps the third time this has happened since I got it in February.

Other than Tivo replacing a few, is there any word if there is more info from Tivo on this?

Just notice the mention of Samsung tvs... My TV is an best buy Insignia which happens to be a rebadged Samsung TV.....
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:16 AM   #25
ManOfSteele

Hit another one last night. I was watching a show on the Samsung, no Mini involved, and the suddenly the Roamio rebooted. Although no Mini was involved, I *was* downloading a video from my PC via TiVo Desktop, so streaming was taking place, similar I guess to a show being streamed from a Mini.

Definitely a very unstable environment for me at the moment...
Old 05-11-2014, 07:23 PM   #26
thalador

Just had my roamio reboot again. Locks up and then "Starting Up"... This is getting very irritating. Considering I just got the Roamio a couple of months ago when Tivo blew up my S3 I am wondering if it is time to sell while I can and start using an X1 or Fios DVR.. I have 6 things scheduled to record in 20 minutes and will be pissed if it boots again
thalador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:28 PM   #27
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalador View Post
Just had my roamio reboot again. Locks up and then "Starting Up"... This is getting very irritating. Considering I just got the Roamio a couple of months ago when Tivo blew up my S3 I am wondering if it is time to sell while I can and start using an X1 or Fios DVR.. I have 6 things scheduled to record in 20 minutes and will be pissed if it boots again
I have three Roamios Pro upgraded with bigger drives, had only two unscheduled re-boots and both happened when watching Netflix, not that this means anything to help your situation but re-boot are not happing to all Roamios. Could you have a semi bed drive, power problem (is your TiVo on a small UPS ?) Just trying to help. I got my first Roamio Pro in August 2013, my last on in Jan 2014.
The Netflix re-boot problem has gone away at least for now.
OH! I can tell if I have any re-boots as the screen clock goes away and the MoCA up time goes back down as does the Moto cable card up time.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:02 AM   #28
StevenToth

I'm having the same issues with the tivo rebooting.

Roamio with a Samsung Smart TV, HDMI connected. The issue never happened with my prior tivo quad. Its specific to my six tuner box. I don't do any mini-remote streaming stuff, it's purely a set-top-box for me (generally).

I can watch tv all day long without an issue, no spontaneous reboots, then recently I started noticing that whenever I turned the TV on, the tivo would be rebooting. At first I blamed power. Now I have the tiro on a UPS. And the UPS isn't throwing any warnings or errors when the reboots occur, so it's unlikely power related.

Recently I've been watching more carefully for when the reboot occurs, and the yellow lights flash on the tivo the immediate moment I lift the tv remote and bring the tv out of standby. Not 100%, but multiple times per day.

- Steve
StevenToth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #29
KevinG

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenToth View Post
Recently I've been watching more carefully for when the reboot occurs, and the yellow lights flash on the tivo the immediate moment I lift the tv remote and bring the tv out of standby. Not 100%, but multiple times per day.
This is the HDMI handshake issue that has been talked about (and supposedly fixed in the most recent release). I can tell you definitively that you can "fix" it with a < $10 HDMI splitter from Amazon. You don't actually split anything, and it doesn't take any extra power or anything. You just put it between the Tivo and the TV and the problem goes away. Maybe not what you wanted to hear, but worth trying?
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:34 AM   #30
StevenToth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
This is the HDMI handshake issue that has been talked about (and supposedly fixed in the most recent release). I can tell you definitively that you can "fix" it with a < $10 HDMI splitter from Amazon. You don't actually split anything, and it doesn't take any extra power or anything. You just put it between the Tivo and the TV and the problem goes away. Maybe not what you wanted to hear, but worth trying?
Interesting. I do have a (powered) splitter handy. I'll put it in-line and report back.

Thanks for the feedback.
StevenToth is offline   Reply With Quote