Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #31
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Pretty sure Tyler has done some hosting herself.
The Talk and Talk Soup come to mind.
yes, she hosted 19 eps of the soup 12 yrs ago, and has 2 yrs daytime under he belt as part of the talk, but there's no one-on-one interviewing, prime time, or late night - still a bigger risk than colbert.

i'm not saying she couldn't host, just that there are probably more experienced choices higher on the list.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:47 PM   #32
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
Rush and others Cons are mad because they thought the Col-Bear character was real for very long time....
If you seriously believe that, then YOU were the one who was fooled...

XL4
Bierboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:47 PM   #33
GoPackGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
If you seriously believe that, then YOU were the one who was fooled...
I'll buy it that they weren't in on the joke for the first couple years. Enough members of Congress made an appearance on Colbert's Better Know a District bit for me to think so.
GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:50 AM   #34
zalusky

I kind of wondered if Colbert was in the can so to speak well in advance of the announcement. IE Dave was planning it for a while and announced when he knew the deal with Colbert was wrapped up.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:38 AM   #35
steve614
what ru lookin at?

What I heard on TV was that as soon as Dave announced his retirement, Colbert's agent got on the phone and contacted CBS asking that Colbert take over the job. Dave said something to the effect of 'I can't think of a better person for the job'.
Soon after, the announcement was made.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:10 AM   #36
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by argicida View Post
Wouldn't expect him to be happy about them hiring someone who makes fun of conservatives for a living in a spot that had previously not been political.

I expect conservatives in general will be unhappy about it.
Except, of course, for the conservatives who really like him because they don't realize that he's mocking them.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:12 AM   #37
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Do you really think "Rush and other Cons" thought the Col-Bear character was seriously a die-hard conservative? How is that even possible, when nearly everything he says is essentially making fun of conservatives?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law

Old 04-12-2014, 11:29 AM   #38
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
Do I believe there are people who thought (or still think) Colbert is a hardcore conservative? Of course. Do I believe that Rush Limbaugh ever thought that? Not for a second.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:38 AM   #39
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Do I believe there are people who thought (or still think) Colbert is a hardcore conservative? Of course.
really? after regularly watching the show? i can't see it.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
Old 04-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #40
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
This

XL4
Bierboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:49 PM   #41
zalusky

Quote:
The thing is many people don't watch the show they just hear loosely that Colbert is a conservative and think he is on their team.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:09 PM   #42
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Dave only announced his retirement a week or so ago. How was there "months and months of endless speculation?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
I think he was trying to say that CBS *avoided* months of speculation. It's much appreciated.
Exactly ... thanks for clarifying my obvious meaning, Bob. If CBS hadn't made a speedy announcement of their decision, there would have been endless months of needless speculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
The thing is many people don't watch the show they just hear loosely that Colbert is a conservative and think he is on their team.
That attitude is how Colbert got booked for the 2006 White House Correspondents' Dinner.
Stephen Colbert roasts George W. Bush

You can see it dawning on some Republicans faces during that video that Colbert wasn't quite what they were expecting. LOL!

I also think that Limbaugh and FoxNews developed their vendetta against Colbert as a result of this performance where Bush & his administration (and FoxNews) had been publicly outed & shamed/embarrassed.

Last edited by getreal : 04-12-2014 at 02:10 PM.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:31 PM   #43
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
i still find this amazing. when i listened to rush, one show and i was aware of his loyalties. when i watched stephen, or jon stewart, bill o'reilly, hannity, olbermann, maddow - the same.

sure, the others aren't portraying a fictional character, but the thought of conservatives being naive enough to believe the ruse, and without checking the wealth of info on him since his work on the daily show from '97 and the report since '06? remarkable.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:46 PM   #44
busyba
The Funcooker

You are giving a lot of people way more credit than they necessarily deserve.

How many people were on the birth certificate bandwagon?

Old 04-12-2014, 04:45 PM   #45
Beryl

Quote:
You are giving a lot of people way more credit than they necessarily deserve.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:51 PM   #46
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
lol

i get what you're saying, but isn't that a different situation? i always suspected the number of people that actually believe the birth certificate mess is a very small percentage, and others were using it as a talking point, instead of saying what was really on their mind.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:49 PM   #47
busyba
The Funcooker

I think it was more widespread than you do, but also it's only one of many equally stupid widely believed things.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:18 PM   #48
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

My guess is it was an infinitesimally small number of people who thought that Colbert was legitimately a blowhard conservative pundit.

Instead, I would suspect that the percentage was far, far higher that didn't know anything about him, didn't watch his show, and didn't care to because they assumed he was just another left wing comic due to his association with The Daily Show and Jon Stewart. They know enough about Colbert to get some surface impressions, like that he's a condescending blowhard, but don't know enough to realize (or care) that he's doing a character that is a condescending blowhard.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:50 PM   #49
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
My guess is it was an infinitesimally small number of people who thought that Colbert was legitimately a blowhard conservative pundit.
http://hij.sagepub.com/content/14/2/212.abstract
This study investigated biased message processing of political satire in The Colbert Report and the influence of political ideology on perceptions of Stephen Colbert. Results indicate that political ideology influences biased processing of ambiguous political messages and source in late-night comedy. Using data from an experiment (N = 332), we found that individual-level political ideology significantly predicted perceptions of Colbert's political ideology. Additionally, there was no significant difference between the groups in thinking Colbert was funny, but conservatives were more likely to report that Colbert only pretends to be joking and genuinely meant what he said while liberals were more likely to report that Colbert used satire and was not serious when offering political statements. Conservatism also significantly predicted perceptions that Colbert disliked liberalism. Finally, a post hoc analysis revealed that perceptions of Colbert's political opinions fully mediated the relationship between political ideology and individual-level opinion.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:54 PM   #50
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
http://www.towleroad.com/2009/04/nat...s-schmidt.html
Having one's presumably serious morally righteous juggernaut labeled an "internet camp classic" and ridiculed in dozens of YouTube parodies has to have rattled the collective psyche of the anti-gay National Organization for Marriage.

They issued a couple of press releases on Friday. The first "thanked" Stephen Colbert for relentlessly mocking the "Gathering Storm" ad.

Said President Maggie Gallagher: "I’ve always thought Stephen Colbert was a double-agent, pretending to pretend to be a conservative, to pull one over Hollywood. Now I’m sure."

Old 04-12-2014, 10:10 PM   #51
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

One guest on The Colbert Report said he introduces himself in the green room with, "When we go on the air, remember, I'm an idiot."
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:22 AM   #52
GoPackGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
One guest on The Colbert Report said he introduces himself in the green room with, "When we go on the air, remember, I'm an idiot."
http://youtu.be/21Z-IaMV3Pc
Old 04-14-2014, 10:13 PM   #53
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post
There's a guy at work who doesn't seem to grasp that "Colbert" is satirizing the Bill O'Reilly type of blowhard.
I know he's a character, but I agree with _some_ of what he mocks. I think he's hilarious too.. (I never watch Fox News, BTW.. nor MSNBC.. I do use CNN as a late night white noise machine... and as both Daily Show & Colbert make fun of the Malaysia flight coverage, I too was one who paid attention to CNN _a bit more_ because of that coverage.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #54
logic88

Quote:
colbert fits the job, has tons of experience at that air time, will bring viewers to the new show, and will keep many existing viewers - he's an experienced choice, very little risk.
I'm sure that's why he was chosen. It's a fairly safe choice.

But it would have been nice if there CBS was more unconventional. Perhaps in the next replacement cycle.
logic88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:12 PM   #55
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Craig Ferguson has just announced during the taping of tonight's episode that he and CBS are "consciously uncoupling." His show will end this December.

Will be interesting to see what CBS does when they have to launch two new late night shows at essentially the same time.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:48 PM   #56
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

I have to imagine that Chelsea Handler will get the Late Late show.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:52 PM   #57
GoPackGo

Craig is going out on his terms. Good for him.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:00 PM   #58
whitson77
Director Level

Quote:
Ugh...she is a train wreck
whitson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:18 PM   #59
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Aisha Tyler is already a CBS employee on "The Talk." I think she'd do a great job, and hiring a minority woman for the job would buy CBS a lot of goodwill with the people who keep track of that stuff.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:38 PM   #60
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitson77 View Post
Ugh...she is a train wreck
Chelsea is fine. Granted, she's an acquired taste but she can be terrifically funny.

I just wonder if she will bring Chuy along to replace Geoff.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote