Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #1
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Castle - That '70s Show - OAD 04/21/14

UGH!

I know this thread start is a little late, but I just watched this ep this morning.

This HAS to be the worst episode of Castle I've ever seen (and I really do like this show). I am not a fan of these 'period piece' things in TV shows, but from time to time a show can pull it off. This was just abysmal.

The only redeeming bit in this ep was Lanie in her Pam Grier get up.

The Starsky and Hutch bit was the WORST!

I hope they had fun making this one, but I wish I had that 60 minutes (ok, more like 47 or something) back!
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
TampaThunder

Agreed 1000%.
TampaThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:09 PM   #3
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Agree. It was BAD..and not as in BAD A**. it was embarrassingly bad.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:10 PM   #4
NYHeel

I was thinking the exact same thing after I watched this episode a few days ago. It was painful to get through. Forget the fact that they completely romanticized a mob boss and his number 2 and never made mention that he was, you know, a mob boss. But overall just a miserable miserable episode.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:12 PM   #5
mattack

I'm honestly not trying to be argumentative just to be argumentative.

I actually thought it was entertaining. It was a "goofy" episode.

The thing that *initially* stumped me was why they paid to show a clip of some other 70s TV show (I don't even remember which), then made EXACTLY "Starsky & Hutch" ripoffs... until it actually became a plot point, when it made sense.

and come on, having the cop on the show try to do the slide over the hood and fall off the front? That was funny, even though it's been done before.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:04 PM   #6
pendragn

Not one of my favorite episodes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:06 PM   #7
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post

The thing that *initially* stumped me was why they paid to show a clip of some other 70s TV show (I don't even remember which), then made EXACTLY "Starsky & Hutch" ripoffs... until it actually became a plot point, when it made sense.

and come on, having the cop on the show try to do the slide over the hood and fall off the front? That was funny, even though it's been done before.
I agree with mattack. I thought it was fun as a throwaway episode.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:08 AM   #8
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
For frame of reference, I graduated HS in '79, and I never had any interest in disco or Starsky and Hutch or much of the culture of the time for that matter, so the 'period piece' aspect held no interest for me whatsoever. I'm sure that's a big part of me just not liking this ep at all.

Like I said, I hope they had fun making it, and I knew that I might have had a minority opinion here at TCF, but this one was an epic fail for me.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:36 AM   #9
eddyj

These "special" episodes are always hit and miss. This one was mostly miss, but I still appreciate when they do something different, even if it does not always work.

eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #10
Linnemir

I enjoyed it - though I do think that redoing the entire pricent was over the top and a mite unbelievable. But I'm an over-age hippie, so this entire period is in my memory banks - and I enjoyed the Starsky & Hutch bit!
Linnemir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #11
tiassa
Me --Avatar

I'm with eddyj -- hit or miss, mostly miss, but kind of fun. They did a much better job with the 40's Film Noir episode, both in terms of plot and characterizations
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #12
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

It was pretty cheesy, but then again so were the 70s.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:22 AM   #13
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
These "special" episodes are always hit and miss. This one was mostly miss, but I still appreciate when they do something different, even if it does not always work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiassa View Post
I'm with eddyj -- hit or miss, mostly miss, but kind of fun. They did a much better job with the 40's Film Noir episode, both in terms of plot and characterizations
Yeah, on many shows, there is an excursion into a genre episode, like a Star Trek show, or something. They sometimes work, and sometimes not, but at least they are trying to shake p the formula a bit. This one did not work too well, but oh well. They are at the end of season six!

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #14
Agatha Mystery

Yeah, I think they tried too hard to make it work and it just didn't flow well enough to be 'believable' in the Castle-verse.

I did enjoy Esposito falling off the car. And Laney's Pam Grier outfit was AWESOME! The hair looked great on her.
Agatha Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #15
NYHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post

I like doing something different but this episode just didn't work for me. Even if we buy the nonsense about the guy thinking it's the 70s, the whole show seemed to be about making the mob boss and his #2 into some kind of heroes. I didn't understand that.

Plus the whole flow of the episode seemed off.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #16
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
Even if we buy the nonsense about the guy thinking it's the 70s, the whole show seemed to be about making the mob boss and his #2 into some kind of heroes. I didn't understand that.
Heroes? No. Just ordinary, flawed humans.

I take it you had the same issue with "The Sopranos" being all about a mob family?
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:39 AM   #17
SNJpage1

This might be a little off topic, We watch Castle on Mon nights and also a lot of the repeats on TNT. To me Kate seems to be losing too much weight now days. I think she looked better in the earlier years.