TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-27-2015, 09:19 AM   #1
im2blue

TiVo OTA NetFlix Bufferiing issues Please Help.

Is it normal? This red screen of death this buffering wheel that stops what you're watching and tries to catch up.

Here's what I'm running: 22.47 Mbps., Motorola SPV5121 Cable Modem, Linksys N Router WRT160N V2, 75% signal, TiVo Series5 20.4.5.c-USA.

Any suggestions?

im2blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:25 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

it is not normal.

is this a new development? it could be netflix getting overloaded, perhaps from the NE blizzard. or it could be something on the tivo backoffice side. Try rebooting everything and see if that helps...

Old 01-27-2015, 11:25 AM   #3
ncted
A leaf on the wind

Nope. Not normal. Who is your broadband provider?

Old 01-27-2015, 11:49 AM   #4
im2blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post
Time Warner Cable is my ISP This TiVo OTA is New and New to me, everything else is working well. I don't have Hulu so I can't compare the two however before TiVo I was using my Samsung BD-F5700 Bluray Player to stream NetFlix and I don't remember this being an issue.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:52 AM   #5
im2blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
it is not normal.

is this a new development? it could be netflix getting overloaded, perhaps from the NE blizzard. or it could be something on the tivo backoffice side. Try rebooting everything and see if that helps...
No it's been acting this way since I signed up and plugged it in..

Old 01-27-2015, 11:57 AM   #6
im2blue

Quote:
it is not normal.

OK tried the reboot and no change also used, up up - down down - left right - left right - up up up up which takes me to a logoff screen and logged off and back on again, still no change.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:23 PM   #7
HarperVision

Have you tried using another device with Netflix to make sure it's not their service or your ISP?

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:28 PM   #8
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by im2blue View Post
Is it normal? This red screen of death this buffering wheel that stops what you're watching and tries to catch up.

Here's what I'm running: 22.47 Mbps., Motorola SPV5121 Cable Modem, Linksys N Router WRT160N V2, 75% signal, TiVo Series5 20.4.5.c-USA.

Any suggestions?
Quote:
Time Warner Cable is my ISP This TiVo OTA is New and New to me, everything else is working well. I don't have Hulu so I can't compare the two however before TiVo I was using my Samsung BD-F5700 Bluray Player to stream NetFlix and I don't remember this being an issue.
Are you wired into the router and what does the 75% mean? It worked with your Samsung so it should work with the TiVo if they are accessing the internet using the same hardware. OTA is not an issue.

JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:45 PM   #9
im2blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Are you wired into the router and what does the 75% mean? It worked with your Samsung so it should work with the TiVo if they are accessing the internet using the same hardware. OTA is not an issue.
no I'm not wired to the router that's the point of a wireless router. 75% represents the signal strength from the wireless router to TiVO.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:48 PM   #10
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
no I'm not wired to the router that's the point of a wireless router. 75% represents the signal strength from the wireless router to TiVO.
Thanks, that explains a lot. Best of luck.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:49 PM   #11
im2blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Have you tried using another device with Netflix to make sure it's not their service or your ISP?
Hello and thank you I am in the process of trying this now going back to Samsung BD-F5700, but I mentioned I didn't have this issue pre-TiVo. I'll let you know.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:55 PM   #12
im2blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Thanks, that explains a lot. Best of luck.
No it only explains what 75% is, it still doesn't explain Netflix buffering, but I sure someone with more knowledge about this issue will be able to help me get the solution that resolves this issue.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:59 PM   #13
jrtroo
User

Run an ethernet wire and see how much better it is, or try moca. Tivo does not support using wireless for anything but guide data. So, sometimes is works and other times there is enough hard to find interference that causes issues.

Hardwiring, at least for troubleshooting, helps resolve that as an issue or not.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:02 PM   #14
im2blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post
Hello ncted, can I ask you you what model HDD you used to replace your factory HDD with? is this easy, does the HDD format itself, is this plug and play? Oh wait sorry, one problem at a time. let me resolve this buffering issue first.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:07 PM   #15
im2blue

Quote:
Run an ethernet wire and see how much better it is, or try moca. Tivo does not support using wireless for anything but guide data. So, sometimes is works and other times there is enough hard to find interference that causes issues.

Hardwiring, at least for troubleshooting, helps resolve that as an issue or not.
I'll try running Cat5 cable to see if this helps, but if TiVo didn't support anything but menu/guide data then it wouldn't work at all would it?

Old 01-27-2015, 02:09 PM   #16
im2blue

Quote:
I'll try running Cat5 cable to see if this helps, but if TiVo didn't support anything but menu/guide data then it wouldn't work at all would it?
Netflix streaming that is.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:09 PM   #17
jrtroo
User

They did not put in a hard code to prevent it, so some folks try and are luckily successful. But, a lack of support is well documented.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:18 PM   #18
im2blue

I'm pretty sure the buffering issue with netflix is a NETFLIX issue and NOT TiVo, I have/am posting these questions here in case some other TiVo users have/are experiencing similar issues with regards to Netflix streaming and can shed light onto my situation. Nothing more!

Old 01-27-2015, 02:56 PM   #19
im2blue

Well after awhile with netflix and jumping through just about all the same hoops I've already jumped through, Netflix is still buffering. only not as often. However, Netflix did say that they are sure we'll get to the bottom of it. If Netflix loads slowly or if you're experiencing buffering or rebuffering, blurry video, or frequent stops while watching a movie or TV show, you may have a weak or unstable connection to the Internet. Fortunately, we've got some great steps below that resolve most Internet connectivity problems on a range of commonly-used devices.

If you complete the steps below and are still having issues connecting to the Netflix service, we highly suggest you reach out to your Internet Service Provider. Your internet provider’s network can sometimes get crowded if a lot of people are watching Netflix at the same time in your area. During these peak times, usually in the evening, we will try to make sure that you can enjoy watching movies and TV shows uninterrupted, but you may notice lower video quality than usual. If this happens frequently, you may want to contact your internet provider to ask if the connection to Netflix can be improved.

If your Internet service provider is already providing a reliably fast connection, the problem may be caused by your Netflix settings or your home network configuration. To fix this issue, try the troubleshooting steps below.
What type of device are you using to stream Netflix?

Game consoles
Computer
Smart TV
Blu-ray player
Set-Top Box
Tablet or mobile device

Before you begin troubleshooting:
Are you using a public, cellular, or satellite Internet connection?

If your network supports streaming, and meets our Minimum Streaming Requirements, completing the steps below will resolve most connection issues.
Restart your set-top box
Restart your home network
Connect your set-top box directly to your modem
Improve your Wi-Fi signal

If you're having network connection issues while trying to stream Netflix, the steps above are a great place to start. If you've tried all of our suggestions, and you're still having connection problems, don't worry--there's still plenty of help available to you.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:18 PM   #20
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:

Any suggestions?
It appears from your post that your connecting to your router via Wi-Fi. Considering the Linksys WRT160N is not a gigabit or dual band router it's potentially underpowered for streaming video especially if someone like kids may also be gaming. The 2.4 Ghz band trends to be crowded, though the channel numbers go 1-11 it's important to remember that these channels overlap. Channel 1 overlaps with 2&3, channel 6 overlaps with 4,5,7&8, channel 11 overlaps with 9&10. So when you have 12-30 neighbor SSID's you can't possibly get the throughput to reliably stream HD video.

Try streaming in the wee hours of the morning if the problem dissipates significantly (not necessarily going away completely) you would very likely benefit from upgrading your router to a gigabit dual band model, moving your HD video streaming to either wired or the 5Ghz band. 5Ghz N (300) well still overlap but only one subchannel be effected (i.e. 36&38). Typically the 5Ghz band easily attains near max throughout, dependent on construction materials and range.

----
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB+w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:36 PM   #21
HarperVision

Quote:
Quote:
Hello and thank you I am in the process of trying this now going back to Samsung BD-F5700, but I mentioned I didn't have this issue pre-TiVo. I'll let you know.
That doesn't mean there isn't an issue NOW with your ISP and/or Netflix.

That's like saying....."but my light bulb worked yesterday when I flipped the switch, but today it doesn't so how can it be a blown bulb?"

Quote:
Well after awhile with netflix and jumping through just about all the same hoops I've already jumped through, Netflix is still buffering. only not as often. However, Netflix did say that they are sure we'll get to the bottom of it. If Netflix loads slowly or if you're experiencing buffering or rebuffering, blurry video, or frequent stops while watching a movie or TV show, you may have a weak or unstable connection to the Internet. Fortunately, we've got some great steps below that resolve most Internet connectivity problems on a range of commonly-used devices. If you complete the steps below and are still having issues connecting to the Netflix service, we highly suggest you reach out to your Internet Service Provider. Your internet provider's network can sometimes get crowded if a lot of people are watching Netflix at the same time in your area. During these peak times, usually in the evening, we will try to make sure that you can enjoy watching movies and TV shows uninterrupted, but you may notice lower video quality than usual. If this happens frequently, you may want to contact your internet provider to ask if the connection to Netflix can be improved. If your Internet service provider is already providing a reliably fast connection, the problem may be caused by your Netflix settings or your home network configuration. To fix this issue, try the troubleshooting steps below. What type of device are you using to stream Netflix? Game consoles Computer Smart TV Blu-ray player Set-Top Box Tablet or mobile device Before you begin troubleshooting: Are you using a public, cellular, or satellite Internet connection? If your network supports streaming, and meets our Minimum Streaming Requirements, completing the steps below will resolve most connection issues. Restart your set-top box Restart your home network Connect your set-top box directly to your modem Improve your Wi-Fi signal If you're having network connection issues while trying to stream Netflix, the steps above are a great place to start. If you've tried all of our suggestions, and you're still having connection problems, don't worry--there's still plenty of help available to you.
Well lookie there!

FWIW, I do believe what others said about the issues may be related to using wifi with your TiVo instead of hard wired, so I'd try that first.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:32 PM   #22
im2blue

Well, I'm still working on this buffering issue. I will hard wire this TiVo box but can't do it until I get 75' Cat5 cable the modem/router is across the house, almost in line of sight just too far for the cables I have on hand. I wonder if I hard wire my TiVo O)TA if I can slow down my ISP to say like 10Mbps and save some money. Anyone running 10Mbps without any issues?

Old 01-27-2015, 04:38 PM   #23
im2blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCurry57 View Post
It appears from your post that your connecting to your router via Wi-Fi. Considering the Linksys WRT160N is not a gigabit or dual band router it's potentially underpowered for streaming video especially if someone like kids may also be gaming. The 2.4 Ghz band trends to be crowded, though the channel numbers go 1-11 it's important to remember that these channels overlap. Channel 1 overlaps with 2&3, channel 6 overlaps with 4,5,7&8, channel 11 overlaps with 9&10. So when you have 12-30 neighbor SSID's you can't possibly get the throughput to reliably stream HD video.

Try streaming in the wee hours of the morning if the problem dissipates significantly (not necessarily going away completely) you would very likely benefit from upgrading your router to a gigabit dual band model, moving your HD video streaming to either wired or the 5Ghz band. 5Ghz N (300) well still overlap but only one subchannel be effected (i.e. 36&38). Typically the 5Ghz band easily attains near max throughout, dependent on construction materials and range.
great advice THANK YOU! if need be i'll buy a faster router or at least one with higher throughput. I will try and stream early and see of the problem is less severe and report back thank you again.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:45 PM   #24
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Well, I'm still working on this buffering issue. I will hard wire this TiVo box but can't do it until I get 75' Cat5 cable the modem/router is across the house, almost in line of sight just too far for the cables I have on hand. I wonder if I hard wire my TiVo O)TA if I can slow down my ISP to say like 10Mbps and save some money. Anyone running 10Mbps without any issues?
I am able to reliably watch Amazon 1080p/5.1 trailers on my Roamio with a 5Mbps internet speed. I do have an adapter on the Roamio to convert the wired to a wireless 802.11ac 5GHz link and a dual core Netgear R7500 router. A faster router and a strong signal helps.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:00 PM   #25
HarperVision

Quote:
Try moving your Roamio to the router's location temporarily.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:53 PM   #26
im2blue

Red face

Quote:
Try moving your Roamio to the router's location temporarily.
\
well in theory that's a good diagnostic idea, but I don't have a 75' HDMI Cable. lol

Old 01-27-2015, 08:09 PM   #27
HarperVision

Quote:
\ well in theory that's a good diagnostic idea, but I don't have a 75' HDMI Cable. lol
Do you have a small TV or monitor with either hdmi or composite?

Old 01-27-2015, 08:51 PM   #28
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCurry57 View Post
you would very likely benefit from upgrading your router to a gigabit dual band model, moving your HD video streaming to either wired or the 5Ghz band. 5Ghz N (300) well still overlap but only one subchannel be effected (i.e. 36&38). Typically the 5Ghz band easily attains near max throughout, dependent on construction materials and range.
+1

The 5GHz band works great for me, where 2.4GHz is hit or miss, mostly miss

If you do purchase a new Dual-Band 2.4/5Ghz router, I strongly recommend
the ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router

BestBuy sells the same router as the ASUS RT-N66R Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router

Or the AC model ASUS RT-AC66U Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750 Gigabit Router
TiVo WiFi does not support the AC standard, so unless you have other devices that can use AC, this model does not benefit you, but would future proof you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:47 PM   #29
sarantube

I am having the same problem. My router is running at 50mbps with >90% signal strength on my Tivo. I now use Netflix with my Roku 3 player and have no problems. Is there an issue with the Tivo OTA?

sarantube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:10 AM   #30
jcthorne

Quote:
There is your problem. Tivo does not support streaming content over a wireless connection.

Connect the tivo to the router via ethernet or moca as directed in the instructions for streaming services.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote