TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-10-2014, 06:22 AM   #1
Allanon

Last Comic Standing: Season 8

Just found out that Last Comic Standing is coming back for another season starting May 22, 2014. I really enjoyed this show and was disappointed when it didn't come back.

http://www.nbcumv.com/mediavillage/n...ndi1563320.xml
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:01 AM   #2
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I know I am funnier than Dat Phan.

I love this show, but with Roseanne Barr and Keenan Ivory Wayans as judges, I may pass. I don't really care for either of them. And I have no idea who Russell Peters is.
Donbadabon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
lambertman
Not single!

I know I am funnier than Jay Mohr.

I won't pay much attention to the judges - I'm a sucker for stand-up that I don't have to pay a cover + two-item minimum for, so I'll watch. But I have gone out of my way to see a few of the comics afterwards at the local clubs.

I saw Dave Mordal live twice right after he was on the show. He was great, but seems to have vanished since after his Discovery Channel show ended.
Saw Bil Dwyer after he did the show, but he was already a pretty established guy by that point.
Despite not liking Rachel Feinstein on the show, I saw her live last year. Still didn't like her

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
sharkster

Oh wow, I haven't thought about this show for years.

The only comic from LCS that I've seen was Josh Blue. Got to meet him after the show. Great show.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #5
gweempose

I've never seen a single episode of this show. I just looked at all the seasons on Wikipedia, and Amy Schumer is the only contestant I've even heard of. Granted, I generally don't pay much attention to the stand up scene, but it's clear that this show didn't launch a lot of movie and TV careers.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
sharkster

I think the one ventriloquist guy became pretty big. Of course I can't even remember his name (I attribute that to my funged up memory, NOT any elusion that he's not memorable), but he's very talented.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:22 PM   #7
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

JB Smoove as the host?! I'm there!!
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:26 PM   #8
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
I know I am funnier than Jay Mohr.
Not funny.. He got screwed and they basically stole his show.

I liked it FAR better when they actually had them live in a house (a la Real World).. But even with just mostly the competition part, it's a decent reality show. (That's more of a compliment than it sounds..)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:31 PM   #9
Jayjoans

Wanda Sykes will executive produce.

I'm out.
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:59 AM   #10
GoHalos

I've always enjoyed this show.

My wife and I saw John Heffron a couple of years ago at the Improv, based on watching him in the early seasons of this show, and he put on a great show.
GoHalos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:30 AM   #11
midas
I heard that

Total aside. I have a friend that moved from Chicago to Las Vegas, so I check his website occasionally to see how he's doing. He's a comic, juggler, comic juggler and author. His website touts him being on Last Comic Standing.

That always makes me laugh because his only appearance was on one of those, "Here's the worst of people that didn't make it" segments.
midas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #12
DUDE_NJX

I always enjoyed the show. Glad to see it's coming back.
DUDE_NJX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:36 PM   #13
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm going to be much quicker to pull the trigger on this, especially given the people mentioned who are involved with it (judges & host?).

The comics better be really good or I just won't waste my time. JB Smoove and Rosanne Barr don't do one blessed thing for me. And as I think about it, I may just pass on it all together. And I really enjoyed past seasons!
JLucPicard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:52 PM   #14
Grasshopper AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Not funny.. He got screwed and they basically stole his show.

I liked it FAR better when they actually had them live in a house (a la Real World).. But even with just mostly the competition part, it's a decent reality show. (That's more of a compliment than it sounds..)
+This. Jay Mohr get screwed by NBC. The premise for the show was his idea and cheated him out of it. He only got the exec producer credit last time after he threatened to sue. I don't even know if he is getting that this time.
HR20-100s
HR20-100s
Grasshopper AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:20 PM   #15
midas
I heard that

First one was last night. Didn't like the format at all. It seemed like everyone they showed pretty much made it as a semi-finalist, with one obvious exception. I'd really like to see more of the losers. Of course they labeled this as an 'invitational' so it's not like previous years where people would line up for hours to get on. Maybe we'll see more of that as the show goes on. But right now it's not much more than a comedy showcase.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:43 PM   #16
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
JB Smoove as the host?! I'm there!!
He's horrible. Reminded me of Screech. Rather have Dat Phan host.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:40 AM   #17
Jayjoans

So good I fell asleep just a few minutes in. Not even my distaste for Roseanne and Wanda Sykes could keep me awake.
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:26 AM   #18
GoHalos

I'm a sucker for stand-up, so I enjoyed the show, but the host is just brutal.
GoHalos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:45 PM   #19
Allanon

I actually liked the judges, instead of trying to crack jokes all the time they actually gave good feedback and observations. For the most part I agreed with their choices but I couldn't understand why that guy that repeated everything 3 times went through. He seemed to repeat the joke until someone laughed. The judges loved him but I thought he was awful.
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:06 PM   #20
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

I love JB Smoove on the shows he's been on - especially Curb Your Enthusiasm...but he's not really had a chance to be funny on this show yet....

I LOVE Dana Egan-she's my early favorite...good lord, she's hilarious...reminds me of myself...I feel like I was cobbled together from loose parts....man oh man....funny funny....I love her attitude!

I don't know yet about this "invitational" format-I guess they will have different rounds later? I hope so...it's about finding undiscovered talent...RIGHT?
Old 05-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #21
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
While it may be a show about finding undiscovered talent, there are always those comics that seem to be there because their agents got them in. Whether NBC does that to flesh out the roster with some 'proven' talent to keep from being a total bomb, I don't know. But there always seem to be guys who have been in the business for a long time (Jimmy Shubert?).
Old 05-27-2014, 08:42 PM   #22
USAFSSO

I missed the last couple of seasons, it sees kind of erratic on when the seasons are. This one looks ok.

I just hope they turn off Roseanne's mic when they are performing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
USAFSSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:17 AM   #23
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFSSO View Post
I just hope they turn off Roseanne's mic when they are performing.

HA!

HA!
Donbadabon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:20 PM   #24
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I think the one ventriloquist guy became pretty big. Of course I can't even remember his name (I attribute that to my funged up memory, NOT any elusion that he's not memorable), but he's very talented.
Are you thinking of Terry Fator? He won America's Got Talent, not Last Comic Standing.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:57 AM   #25
Big Deficit
Happy now?

Been recording this, but finally got to watch last night. Wow, is this bad! The host is kinda awful, but that's not the worst. Rosanne is the worst. Listening to her comments and forced laughter while the comics are performing is bad, her criticisms and suggestions after are even worse. For me, she destroys the whole show and I wasn't a Rosanne hater before this. Does she own the show? I tried to make it through the first episode but failed, skipped ahead to one of the semi finals to see if there was improvement, then deleted the whole mess and canceled any further records. I remember liking this show in the past...what the heck happened?
Old 06-20-2014, 08:40 AM   #26
DUDE_NJX

Are the comics any good? I'm planning to ff through the judges.
DUDE_NJX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:46 AM   #27
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Watched the semi-finals. There are only a couple stand outs for me. The guy who uses the ATM password and the one who waves his arm a lot. Sorry cannot recall their names.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:18 PM   #28
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
It just hit me what I really don't like most about JB Smoove (trust me, it's not the only thing!) - he definitely has a face for voice overs. I'm not even going to say radio, because radio guys sometimes get their faces on billboards and the like.

I'm trying to focus on the comics and not so much the other stuff, but the comics really aren't doing all that much for me either. I'll probably watch until the end because that's how I am once I start watching most shows, but it's not quality entertainment for me at this point.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:39 PM   #29
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
It just hit me what I really don't like most about JB Smoove (trust me, it's not the only thing!) - he definitely has a face for voice overs. I'm not even going to say radio, because radio guys sometimes get their faces on billboards and the like.

I'm trying to focus on the comics and not so much the other stuff, but the comics really aren't doing all that much for me either. I'll probably watch until the end because that's how I am once I start watching most shows, but it's not quality entertainment for me at this point.
My only complaint with him is the yelling and cliches! Can we stop the "in the building" comments? Aren't they a little old, and he seems to be yelling all the time!
Old 08-15-2014, 11:43 AM   #30
midas
I heard that

Well I made it to the finals. I think this is the first year I actually agree on the winner. But I still don't understand how that Lurch guy made it to the end. I would have nuked his butt on the first episode.