TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-07-2014, 02:25 PM   #1
thomas_k

Series 3 locks up after https access.

I have a Series 3 that I have been trying to set up file transfer to my PC on. Whenever I try to access the S3 via https (through kmttg or just using a browser), I can log in with my MAK, but I get no response from the server after log in, and then I notice these symptoms:

* The S3 no longer responds to ANY remote command or front panel button presses.
* The S3 will continue to record and display video.
* Eventually the S3 will spontaneously reboot.

A few years ago I upgraded the internal hard drive and it's been trouble free since then.

I have verified that I have my S3 set up for file sharing and its name is correctly set.

I also have a Roamio Pro, and I have no problems accessing it through https. I also have no problems transferring programs between the S3 and the Roamio.

I'm wondering is if there is a problem with a program name on the S3, or if I have too many programs (I have around 200) on the S3? Or is it something else?
thomas_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
squint

It could be the power supply. Any odd behavior in series 2 or 3 units requires one to address the possibility of failing capacitors in the power supply.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=473394
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:18 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas_k View Post
I have a Series 3 that I have been trying to set up file transfer to my PC on. Whenever I try to access the S3 via https (through kmttg or just using a browser), I can log in with my MAK, but I get no response from the server after log in, and then I notice these symptoms:

* The S3 no longer responds to ANY remote command or front panel button presses.
* The S3 will continue to record and display video.
* Eventually the S3 will spontaneously reboot.

A few years ago I upgraded the internal hard drive and it's been trouble free since then.

I have verified that I have my S3 set up for file sharing and its name is correctly set.

I also have a Roamio Pro, and I have no problems accessing it through https. I also have no problems transferring programs between the S3 and the Roamio.

I'm wondering is if there is a problem with a program name on the S3, or if I have too many programs (I have around 200) on the S3? Or is it something else?
What he said (and saved me having to say) about the power supply, but making sure that everything on your network that doesn't leave the house has a fixed IP address that's not one of the addresses in the router's DHCP pool can't hurt and might help.

Even if fixed IP cures it, pop the top and eyeball the power supply caps anyway.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
thomas_k

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
It could be the power supply. Any odd behavior in series 2 or 3 units requires one to address the possibility of failing capacitors in the power supply.
Thanks. I read up on this and looked at my capacitors and see c501, 502, and 701 look bulged. So I guess I'll plan on replacing them and I'll report back here if it fixes (or doesn't fix) the problem.

I guess it makes sense that this would happen since encrypting the https traffic would put an additional demand on the system. I'm surprised I haven't seen other system instability. When I replaced the hard drive I used a "green" model with an amp rating 50% of the old HD, maybe I bought myself some time with that.

Also thanks unitron for the reply.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:43 PM   #5
squint

You'll want to replace more than just the bulging ones. At a minimum, you want to replace all the medium sized ones (everything except the tiny ones and the big primary capacitor).

The medium sized ones apparently do the most work and poor quality capacitors won't hold up. Personally, I can't stand having any of those low quality capacitors in any of my electronics so I replace them all.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:31 AM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Thanks. I read up on this and looked at my capacitors and see c501, 502, and 701 look bulged. So I guess I'll plan on replacing them and I'll report back here if it fixes (or doesn't fix) the problem.

I guess it makes sense that this would happen since encrypting the https traffic would put an additional demand on the system. I'm surprised I haven't seen other system instability. When I replaced the hard drive I used a "green" model with an amp rating 50% of the old HD, maybe I bought myself some time with that.

Also thanks unitron for the reply.
There's a thread around here with "shopping" lists for the three variations on the S3 platform power supply.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:08 AM   #7
thomas_k

I replaced the 11 capacitors on the power supply and the problem is still there. I tried running through most of the kickstarts that I thought would help, cleared any data I don't need (thumb ratings), nothing helped.

The https is not completely unresponsive - if I do something like (using https)
tivoipaddress/TivoConnect?Command=QueryContainer, I will get an error page ("Resource not found"). The lockups only seems to happen when I try to get the NPL. I've also given my S3 & PC static IP addresses, disconnected all other devices, disabled wireless, and restricted the dynamic IP dhcp space.

I've been looking around for a way to try to transfer individual shows from the S3 through my browser, but I can't find an API reference that makes any sense to me. Do you have to pull the entire NPL to get the id of the programs you want to transfer?
Old 04-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #8
unitron

Have you tried seeing if you can see it with TiVo Desktop?

Old 04-12-2014, 12:33 AM   #9
thomas_k

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Have you tried seeing if you can see it with TiVo Desktop?
Tivo desktop didn't work - it times out after about 30 seconds with the error "There was an error while attempting to retrieve data from the selected DVR".

However, it does correctly report the number of shows on the Tivo, so it must be getting some kind of information from my S3.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:20 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Tivo desktop didn't work - it times out after about 30 seconds with the error "There was an error while attempting to retrieve data from the selected DVR".

However, it does correctly report the number of shows on the Tivo, so it must be getting some kind of information from my S3.
Go to tivo.com and log into your account, go to Change Device Preferences, and make sure that Video Sharing and Enable Video Downloads are both still checked for that unit.

Re-enter the MAK (make sure the S3 and S5 have the same one) into Desktop

File, Set Media Access Key

Go into the S3's NPL and look at the bottom and see if the PC running Desktop is there.

Also see if the S5 is there.

Go into the S5's NPL and see if the S3 and the PC are there.

Change Desktop from Bonjour to Beacon or Beacon to Bonjour.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:13 AM   #11
thomas_k

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Go to tivo.com and log into your account, go to Change Device Preferences, and make sure that Video Sharing and Enable Video Downloads are both still checked for that unit.

Re-enter the MAK (make sure the S3 and S5 have the same one) into Desktop

File, Set Media Access Key

Go into the S3's NPL and look at the bottom and see if the PC running Desktop is there.

Also see if the S5 is there.

Go into the S5's NPL and see if the S3 and the PC are there.

Change Desktop from Bonjour to Beacon or Beacon to Bonjour.

- I made sure video sharing and video downloads were enabled for both units.
- I re-entered the MAK in Tivo Desktop (it is the same for S3 and S5)
- My PC name showed up at the bottom of both S3 and S5 NPL, and each had the other Tivo in the NPL as well.
- Tried to transfer the NPL from the S3 using Bonjour, and then Beacon, each had the same result - a locked up Tivo S3.

Any other ideas?
Old 04-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #12
squint

Some sort of corrupt entry or database on the Tivo? I've had a Tivo HD reboot when accessing a messed up pyTivo folder (duplicate filenames or something). I thought perhaps that Tivo had a hardware issue but my other Tivo HD also rebooted when I accessed the same folder.

You may have to delete the offending show or clear the program data or, as a last resort, clear and delete everything.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:59 PM   #13
thomas_k

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
Some sort of corrupt entry or database on the Tivo? I've had a Tivo HD reboot when accessing a messed up pyTivo folder (duplicate filenames or something). I thought perhaps that Tivo had a hardware issue but my other Tivo HD also rebooted when I accessed the same folder.

You may have to delete the offending show or clear the program data or, as a last resort, clear and delete everything.

Well, some success, finally. I kept deleting some recent recordings off the S3 and was eventually able to get the NPL.

For the record I went from 305 recordings to 286. So somewhere between that range the S3 hits a limit, at least with the shows I have recorded.

I appreciate all the help!
Old 04-15-2014, 11:31 AM   #14
squint

Quote:
Well, some success, finally. I kept deleting some recent recordings off the S3 and was eventually able to get the NPL.

For the record I went from 305 recordings to 286. So somewhere between that range the S3 hits a limit, at least with the shows I have recorded.

I appreciate all the help!
It may not be a numerical limit but you may have deleted a show that was corrupting the NPL, so to speak.

A few weeks ago, I was transferring episodes of True Detective to my Premiere and canceled the transfer of episode 2. From that point on, I was never able to transfer episode 2 to that Tivo. I assume it was due to a corrupt database entry. The other 7 episodes transferred fine. So, these things do happen.