TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-04-2014, 03:23 PM   #1
HuskerMike

Losing Lifetime on Older Tivo

Years ago, I thought I remembered hearing someone say that if you have a Tivo that does not connect to the Tivo servers for a while, you will eventually lose your lifetime service on that unit.
Am I remembering this right, or was this false information?
I have an old series 2 that I would like to finally disconnect and put in storage but I don't want to lose my lifetime service.
Thanks much.
HuskerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #2
Chris Gerhard

False in my experience, I had a very early TiVo Series 1 with lifetime and for years it was disconnected, I connected it and the lifetime was still in force and I transferred that lifetime to a TiVoHD. If there is a provision that lifetime service ends if the TiVo is not connected for a period of X years that would need to be disclosed at the time the lifetime service was purchased.

I think what you heard is an urban legend.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:40 PM   #3
tatergator1

You won't lose lifetime service on the box. However, a couple things will happen under certain circumstances if the unit doesn't connect to the Tivo servers for more than 180 days.

If you have other active Tivo's for which you got MSD (multi-service discount) pricing on for having the Lifetime Series 2 unit, this MSD discount will cease if you're paying monthly on any current units. For example, a $6.95 monthly price would jump as high as $14.95 once the 180 days elapsed of no contact from the Lifetime Series 2.

If you have another Lifetime Tivo unit you're still using and, at some point in the future you want to add another Tivo, you will not get the MSD discount. Only units for which you paid full monthly or Lifetime cost allow you to get MSD on future units.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:41 PM   #4
HuskerMike

Thanks, Chris - good info.
Gator - that must be what I was remembering. Now I need to decide if the possible $100 savings on lifetime in the future is worth the power being used by my s2.... not really excited about remembering to pull out the s2 every 6 months.

Last edited by HuskerMike : 07-04-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:55 PM   #5
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerMike View Post
Thanks, Chris - good info.
Gator - that must be what I was remembering. Now I need to decide if the possible $100 savings on lifetime in the future is worth the power being used by my s2.... not really excited about remembering to pull out the s2 every 6 months.
Just leave it in the closet and if you're thinking about buying a new one pull it out and have it phone home to give a valid connection.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:07 PM   #6
HuskerMike

I paid lifetime on the s2, but only paid $400 for my Premiere's lifetime (MSD), so I think if I understood Gator correctly, if my s2 ever stops connecting for more than 6 months, I will not be allowed to get a discount on lifetime on my next unit ($100 savings).
If I'm wrong in my understanding let me know, but if my current interpretation is correct, I'll have to decide which is more economical - s2 power cost vs. possible lifetime savings.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #7
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Just leave it in the closet and if you're thinking about buying a new one pull it out and have it phone home to give a valid connection.
Or use the PLSR code and never pay more than the MSD lifetime rate of $399, BUT for monthly MSD the picture is different, after 6 months of non connection of your qualifying MSD TiVo, you will have an automatic loss of the MSD monthly rate, in that case you will have to pull the old TiVo out from the closet before 6 months is up, a pain and another reason to get Lifetime Service.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:07 AM   #8
unitron

Quote:
I paid lifetime on the s2, but only paid $400 for my Premiere's lifetime (MSD), so I think if I understood Gator correctly, if my s2 ever stops connecting for more than 6 months, I will not be allowed to get a discount on lifetime on my next unit ($100 savings).
If I'm wrong in my understanding let me know, but if my current interpretation is correct, I'll have to decide which is more economical - s2 power cost vs. possible lifetime savings.
You should make sure you have a good truncated backup for that S2 before setting it aside until it's needed back online to facilitate a future discount.

And by good backup, I mean one that you restore to a different drive and test in the TiVo to be sure it's good.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:16 AM   #9
TiVoJimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You should make sure you have a good truncated backup for that S2 before setting it aside until it's needed back online to facilitate a future discount.

And by good backup, I mean one that you restore to a different drive and test in the TiVo to be sure it's good.
A bit off topic. I have a lifetime S2 sitting in a closet powered on and connected to my network just to keep my 2 $6.95 subs valid.

I have been meaning to setup my home automation to power up the S2 every 120 days for 3 days, the turn it off. Just haven't gotten to it yet.

The off topic question is, anyone ever try an 80 or 120 GB SSD in an old S2 just for the purpose of keeping it alive?
TiVoJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:24 PM   #10
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
The S2 only needs to make a daily connection every 180 days. It doesn't have to be running at all in between those connections. That brings the power cost down to almost nothing.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:58 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJimmy View Post
A bit off topic. I have a lifetime S2 sitting in a closet powered on and connected to my network just to keep my 2 $6.95 subs valid.

I have been meaning to setup my home automation to power up the S2 every 120 days for 3 days, the turn it off. Just haven't gotten to it yet.

The off topic question is, anyone ever try an 80 or 120 GB SSD in an old S2 just for the purpose of keeping it alive?
One thing you have to watch out for in S2s is if they orginally came with Maxtor brand hard drives, because back then Maxtor was making drives with slightly higher LBA numbers than the same nominal size by the other brands.

For example, my 540040 came with a 40GB Maxtor drive, which means the image from it will not fit on a 40GB WD or Seagate.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote