TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-27-2016, 04:39 PM   #1
jacob_coulter

Can a TiVo Series 3 work with both a OTA antenna and 2 cable cards?

So I have a lifetime series 3 and want to try cutting the cord from my cable provider.

But I wanted to "stage it" and see how I liked it before formally ending my cable subscription.

But it seems the unit won't let me use "both" at the same time. I get an error message saying it won't let me proceed.

I'm getting the impression I have to remove my cable cards and only use the antenna.

Is that correct?

What am I doing wrong?

jacob_coulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:55 PM   #2
justen_m

I used mine with OTA and a single cable card (M-Card). You, however, have two cable cards, and I've got no experience with that. Sorry.

justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:05 PM   #3
jacob_coulter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
I used mine with OTA and a single cable card (M-Card). You, however, have two cable cards, and I've got no experience with that. Sorry.
Okay, that helps. Thanks.

If you add an antenna, do you go first to guided setup? Do you lose all of your recording info?

How do you tell the TiVo which to use? Antenna or Cable for which channels?

thanks again

Old 04-27-2016, 05:14 PM   #4
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I've used two S-card CableCARDS in a Series 3 and an antenna. Guided setup will lead you through setting what is active. You won't lose recordings going through guided setup. It does reset guide information, but forcing a few connections to TiVo over the network after it's all done will get that handled quicker than waiting a day for it to happen on its own schedule.

OTA channels all have a "-" in them; they'll be alongside any similarly numbered channels available via the CableCARD... for example, a channel 7-1 and a channel 7 can coexist, the latter being a cable channel, the former being an ATSC channel. You can remove any channels from the "channels I receive" list just like you can do with cable channels.

You may need to adjust OnePass info if any were associated with one channel and now you want them associated with a different one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 04-27-2016, 05:16 PM   #5
jacob_coulter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
I've used two S-card CableCARDS in a Series 3 and an antenna. Guided setup will lead you through setting what is active. You won't lose recordings going through guided setup. It does reset guide information, but forcing a few connections to TiVo over the network after it's all done will get that handled quicker than waiting a day for it to happen on its own schedule.

OTA channels all have a "-" in them; they'll be alongside any similarly numbered channels available via the CableCARD... for example, a channel 7-1 and a channel 7 can coexist, the latter being a cable channel, the former being an ATSC channel. You can remove any channels from the "channels I receive" list just like you can do with cable channels.

You may need to adjust OnePass info if any were associated with one channel and now you want them associated with a different one.

Any idea what I was doing wrong that it wasn't allowing me to add the antenna?

Were some S3 Tivos different and didn't allow an antenna with cable cards installed?

Old 04-27-2016, 05:23 PM   #6
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_coulter View Post
Any idea what I was doing wrong that it wasn't allowing me to add the antenna?

Were some S3 Tivos different and didn't allow an antenna with cable cards installed?
https://support.tivo.com/SupportPort...p-Series3-DVRs

1) Begin Guided Setup: Review service terms, activate service (if necessary), and enter your ZIP code.

2) Choose your TV programming source:
* Choose cable only if you are using basic cable or CableCARDs.
* Choose cable & antenna if you are using basic cable or CableCARDs and a digital antenna.
* Choose antenna only if you are only using a digital antenna as your programming source.

NOTE: If you are waiting for cable service, choose cable only (or cable & antenna if you have an antenna).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 04-27-2016, 05:28 PM   #7
jacob_coulter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
[
1) Begin Guided Setup: Review service terms, activate service (if necessary), and enter your ZIP code.

2) Choose your TV programming source:
* Choose cable only if you are using basic cable or CableCARDs.
* Choose cable & antenna if you are using basic cable or CableCARDs and a digital antenna.
* Choose antenna only if you are only using a digital antenna as your programming source.

NOTE: If you are waiting for cable service, choose cable only (or cable & antenna if you have an antenna).

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Not sure what I was doing incorrectly but last time I attempted it wouldn't let me.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:18 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_coulter View Post
So I have a lifetime series 3 and want to try cutting the cord from my cable provider.

But I wanted to "stage it" and see how I liked it before formally ending my cable subscription.

But it seems the unit won't let me use "both" at the same time. I get an error message saying it won't let me proceed.

I'm getting the impression I have to remove my cable cards and only use the antenna.

Is that correct?

What am I doing wrong?
Do you already have 2 cable cards (assuming a TCD648250B here, which has to have either 2 S cards or 2 M cards) installed and paired and working properly?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote