TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-19-2014, 12:35 PM   #1
overFEDEXed

Error playing a recording.

Hello,

I searched and couldn't find this posted anywhere.

I installed the latest update on my Roamio Plus during the first round. (Priority list) Of course I lost all of my favorite channels and had some of the other problems also. The thing that messed me up is that all of my movies that were "pushed" to the Plus, will not play now. The screen message is attached.

I don't understand this as they were playing fine before. Also, I can still play these movies when accessed from a Mini or my Roamio Basic, just not from the Plus.

These are movies that I own and ripped to my "server", then pushed to the Plus using just the Tivo software.

Any help would be appreciated. I am going to push them again, but was just curious as to why this happened.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (36.1 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by overFEDEXed : 04-19-2014 at 12:40 PM.
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:24 PM   #2
DaveDFW

I just noticed this yesterday on my Plus. I have many recordings that will not play on the Plus ("The TiVo Box was not able to record this program..."). I initially thought these recordings had simply become corrupt, but I then observed they correctly play on my Mini.

My Plus received 20.4.1, was rolled back to 20.3.8, and then upgraded once again to 20.4.1.

What is causing a playback failure on the host Roamio when the files are valid and playable on another device via streaming? Rebooting the Roamio does not fix this error.
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:25 PM   #3
moyekj

Were these pushed videos mpeg2 or H.264 or a combination of both? Also, how were they pushed (TD or pyTivo)? If pyTivo do you use ts=on setting?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:35 PM   #4
overFEDEXed

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Were these pushed videos mpeg2 or H.264 or a combination of both? Also, how were they pushed (TD or pyTivo)? If pyTivo do you use ts=on setting?
Mostly mpeg2 with a few 4's. Pushed with Tivo Desktop only.

Like I said before. It's not a big deal as I can "pull" them pretty fast, if somebody wants to watch something. I do like having them in folders though.
Very strange.

Also, my Plus was never rolled back, just upgraded to 20.4.1 and then I noticed it a few days later.

I forgot to add this. Just after I noticed that the movies wouldn't play, my available space reported as 17%. I know for a fact that it was 54%. After rebooting a few times and having the unit call in, it reported the correct space.

Last edited by overFEDEXed : 04-19-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:18 PM   #5
overFEDEXed

More problems

I opened up Tivo Desktop and created a new folder. When I tried to set up "push" to my two Tivo's, it said that it was "unable to access those Tivo's account information, try again later".
Old 04-20-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
DaveDFW

It seems unlikely that this is affecting only two people. No one else is seeing this?

The recordings I have that are unplayable on the Roamio were transferred from an XL4 to a compuer via Tivo Desktop, and then transferred onto the Roamio with Tivo Desktop from that same computer. All of these recordings used to play correctly, but now the host Roamio refuses to play them.

They are still playable on my Mini when streamed from the Roamio itself. Because I have quite a few affected recordings, I'm not inclined to re-transfer all of these because of the inconvenience, especially since the files appear to be valid.

Tivo obviously has broken something with 20.4.1.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:42 PM   #7
moyekj

No problems here. But I don't have many TTCB recordings and use pyTivo with ts=on setting instead of TiVo Desktop, so different setup than you guys. Probably the biggest difference is I avoid "pushes" these days as they get set to copy protected when transferred that way. pyTivo with ts=on allows pulls without transcoding to mpeg2 when not necessary.
Perhaps there are not too many TD push users on these forums judging by lack of responses to this thread.

Last edited by moyekj : 04-20-2014 at 05:48 PM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:52 PM   #8
DaveDFW

I just discovered that deleting then recovering each previously unplayable recording restores playability on the Roamio.

I'm not sure why this works, but at least I don't have to transfer everything again.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #9
overFEDEXed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDFW View Post
I just discovered that deleting then recovering each previously unplayable recording restores playability on the Roamio.

I'm not sure why this works, but at least I don't have to transfer everything again.
I already tried that. The old movies show up as blanks slots in the recently deleted folder???

I might just put in a new 3TB hard drive and start all over again.
Also, I already reinstalled Tivo Desktop, so everything is fresh now.

Thanks for the info though.